News Coronavirus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The Spanish government has nationalized all private hospitals and healthcare providers as the country suffers a surge in coronavirus cases.
  • The Spanish government has also declared a state of emergency and mobilized the military.

• The Spanish government has nationalized all private hospitals and healthcare providers as the country suffers a surge in coronavirus cases.
  • The Spanish government has also declared a state of emergency and mobilized the military.

Yeah, this is way beyond what happened in 08 with the banking collapse.

Lockdown coming you'd think?

I heard potentially an announcement tomorrow/thursday.

Tomorrow seems likely with a stimulus anouncement incoming.

However RBA sits Thursday.

Hahahaha, I'm very much not a Boomer.

My point is what I said before: this country has had it better than anywhere in the world for decades. Literally. The world envies us.

So when a challenge like this comes along, we're psychologically unprepared for what is coming. We don't have the experience of walking through cities knowing a bomb can go off at any time. We haven't had 25 per cent youth unemployment for decades.

Hence this overreaction. My friends in Brussels for example spent days on full lockdown while Daesh terrorists were roaming around shooting up places and bombing metro stations etc in 2015. So a lockdown for the virus isn't as psychologically threatening for them as it is us.

And it is actually the Boomers who are the worst, and least prepared to make any sacrifice. They are so used to having everything on a plate, and feel that they are "under attack" when someone wants them to pay vaguely fair tax on their investment properties.

We will feel this shock far worse than any other major Western society simply because we haven't had a shock like this before.

Maybe this is the chance for youth to finally stick it to the boomers. Cuddle a boomer, share the love, take the power.

I think we might see a reduction down to 50/100 - indoor/outdoor groups and closure of pubs, cinemas etc tomorrow.

Full lockdown next week.

Will be ok Bugsy, always darkest before dawn. Not really sure what that means , but yeah sounds positive 😬.

Health mate comes before everything else.
They bred us Shinboners tough mate 👍

It's always coldest before the dawn but the light starts a couple of hours earlier.

Maybe this is the chance for youth to finally stick it to the boomers. Cuddle a boomer, share the love, take the power.

A society consisting of neurotic arts degree types.

I give it 10 years tops, and then the cockroaches will take over.

'... help us all ...' The Pot call the kettle black.

It's a common turn of phrase, but I do commend you on possessing the scanning powers of a professional ambulance chaser.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Not sure who wrote the letter below, but it’s spot on. If I find out, I will credit accordingly. The disregard being shown for the health of teachers at the moment is very alarming. If not for everything going on around us, both overseas and locally, I wouldn’t be so worried. But when keeping schools open seems in such direct opposition to every single other piece of information and advice out there, you can’t help but wonder what’s going on... 💁‍♀️

Dear Dan Andrews, Scott Morrison (ScoMo), and Australian Education Union Victoria,
Which one of you can advocate for teachers right now? On the one hand, you are quarantining people, telling them to practice social distancing and calling a state of emergency, while on the other hand you are telling teachers to operate with “business as usual”.

Your disrespect for the profession is astounding—not one of you has given the rationale of keeping schools open for our primary purpose, which is education. Instead it has been about the economy, about freeing up medical professionals and about keeping kids away from their grandparents. You all see us, it seems, as babysitters and quarantine officers. I am trained to be neither.

Today I went to my workplace surrounded by 1700 people in close quarters. Then I drove home in record time (everyone else working at home means no traffic, yay!), BUT I didn’t go to the gym and I didn’t go to my hockey game… because I’m meant to be practicing social distancing in my personal life. My netball competition was canceled because apparently the 3 feet rule in netball isn’t enough for social distancing (pushing through crowded corridors at school is fine though!).

You say schools shouldn’t close down until there is a confirmed case—but you won’t test people anymore unless they show symptoms, and have also informed us that children DON’T show symptoms. I am stoked for my students that they are unlikely to get extremely sick from COVID-19, since children seem to be okay right now. But, in a wild turn of events, it appears that teachers are NOT the same age as children. We are adults, who are just as prone to sickness and viruses as all other adults.

Teachers are working so hard right now to ensure that we can still run classes online and that all of our resources will transfer well to digital spaces. We are doing extra professional development, putting our marking and usual preparation on the backburner… all to get an email from the Department of Education thanking us for being calm, and receiving mixed messages about whether all of this extra work is a waste of time or not.

Do you know who IS advocating for teachers? Doctors. Medical professionals. Thousands of signatories are calling for you to take stronger action, including CLOSING SCHOOLS. And if you’re not willing to do that, at least please cut the bullshit and tell us what you really think."

I think we might see a reduction down to 50/100 - indoor/outdoor groups and closure of pubs, cinemas etc tomorrow.

Full lockdown next week.
I have heard that scomo will call a 14 day Australian lockdown tomorrow afternoon.

I do actually know some fringe players in Canberra who have told me to prep for it tonight/tomorrow morning.

I have heard that scomo will call a 14 day Australian lockdown tomorrow afternoon.

I do actually know some fringe players in Canberra who have told me to prep for it tonight/tomorrow morning.

I got the same info from an PA in Canberra just now.

There is either a genuine shortage of tests or nobody wants to know if it's spreading among the community. Because if you haven't just arrived from o/s you absolutely have to confirm that you have been in the company of somebody already diagnosed before they'll test you.

It's absolutely nuts that your neighbor didn't get tested and you and your partner most likely won't. Crazy.
They seem to be saving the tests for celebrities and politicians. Granted politicians are at a higher risk being out in the community but there are only 631 state and 227 federal politicians - 858 from a population of 25 million. If that ratio translated to confirmed cases, there'd be just one politician infected for every 29,000 Australians yet we already have at least three (?) politicians testing positive out of just 450 confirmed cases.

This is good, and it explains why he's pressing people to head back. The infected can be taken & isolated and the virus can be halted. We have geography in our favor. They will shut the borders down.

Not suggesting you’re wrong , what happens to uni’s and their fragile 20 plus year experimentS? These include live animals . Just curious, or the data centres which are the brains of all uni’s and require attention ?

Fairytale of New York is still the best Christmas song... bit partial to the Irish Rover and Dirty Old Town myself

My favourite is probably still the boys from county hell.

But I'm a sucker for Shane singing a ballad. Heart strings.

RIP Kirsty, * you GGNova.

Remember standing in the p!ssing rain near Galway humming this beauty

Could play the fiddle and harp parts years ago, not real well either but who cares.

One night in the v. early 90s I ended up in a corner of the railway or station hotel in Mildura with about 30 people I didn't know belting that song out for hours while we'd rank our weeks grape picking wages.

Good times.

Government saying Aussies abroad should come home.

Makes me wonder what I would have done if I were still living overseas.

It is a massive call
As an Aussie who has been in Asia for the past twelve months, let me tell you:

I feel ALIVE right now. I feel like I am living again. This is genuinely exciting.

Sitting at a cafe in Kuala Lumpur refreshing about a dozen different threads on various social media sites.

Next to a shopping mall with about 10% of the foot traffic it saw just yesterday.

On a completely unrelated note, anybody got a spare couch for a fellow Rooboy to sleep on for a few weeks?

Well I've got enough food for a couple of weeks, got enough bog roll too. But I'll need to get to Dans in the morning to stock up on some beer and wine.
Hello old North DVDs and Netflix, thanks for being there for me!

My favourite is probably still the boys from county hell.

But I'm a sucker for Shane singing a ballad. Heart strings.

RIP Kirsty, fu** you GGNova.

Could play the fiddle and harp parts years ago, not real well either but who cares.

One night in the v. early 90s I ended up in a corner of the railway or station hotel in Mildura with about 30 people I didn't know belting that song out for hours while we'd rank our weeks grape picking wages.

Good times.

Life right there me old mate . Looking fwd to have a cupcake and a beer or two with ya sometime in the near future .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back