News Where’s the AFL reduces season to 17 weeks thread?

Remove this Banner Ad

They're creating a new 17 week schedule so that's all going to change.

Hopefully it remains Port home showdown because we'll get 9 or 10 home games

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why 9 or 10 home games?
We will play 16 games against interstate teams, presumably 8 home and 8 away plus the Away Showdown.

Poort will play 8 home games against interstate clubs, 8 away plus a Home Showdown. Similar set up for Eagles/Freo, Swans/GWS and Gold Coast/Lions.

The Victorian teams will play 4 away games against interstate teams plus 13 in Victoria. Hawthorn and Kangas will play some “home games’ in Tassie and there may also be a couple of games in the N.T.

Of course this makes the ridiculous assumption that the AFL will try to be as fair as possible.

Why 9 or 10 home games?
We will play 16 games against interstate teams, presumably 8 home and 8 away plus the Away Showdown.

Poort will play 8 home games against interstate clubs, 8 away plus a Home Showdown. Similar set up for Eagles/Freo, Swans/GWS and Gold Coast/Lions.

The Victorian teams will play 4 away games against interstate teams plus 13 in Victoria. Hawthorn and Kangas will play some “home games’ in Tassie and there may also be a couple of games in the N.T.

Of course this makes the ridiculous assumption that the AFL will try to be as fair as possible.

We play 17 games so teams will have either 9 or 8 home games,

If it's Port's home showdown then you would think that it won't count towards our home game tally.

That will give us either 9 home game including the Showdown or potentially 10 home games if we're one of the teams getting 9.

I expect the season to be a write-off ... don't expect them to get enough games in to make it legit. No premiership* in 2020.

Oh well, on the positive side - at least Power's 10,000 anniversary year feels at about the right level of shitsville ... and Ken will get that contract extension :)

I expect the season to be a write-off ... don't expect them to get enough games in to make it legit. No premiership* in 2020.

Oh well, on the positive side - at least Power's 10,000 anniversary year feels at about the right level of shitsville ... and Ken will get that contract extension :)

I agree, we'll get some football, but just how much remains to be seen.

Gill seemed to indicate that they have a window of 40 weeks to complete 17 games and four rounds of finals.

If they we forced to play 2 games a week they could most probably press on and get the season done within about 15 weeks.

Whether that's possible or not remains to be seen

I agree, we'll get some football, but just how much remains to be seen.

Gill seemed to indicate that they have a window of 40 weeks to complete 17 games and four rounds of finals.

If they we forced to play 2 games a week they could most probably press on and get the season done within about 15 weeks.

Whether that's possible or not remains to be seen
2 games per week with game length 3 standard quarters long..shorten the match lengths

2 games per week with game length 3 standard quarters long..shorten the match lengths

Why not just play a table tennis tournament between the clubs... Premiership will have a massive asterisk.

If we can't get enough full AFL games played in the year, don't we all agree that there will be bigger issues at hand?

I'm just glad we are in a full rebuild phase when this is good on!!

Why not just play a table tennis tournament between the clubs... Premiership will have a massive asterisk.

If we can't get enough full AFL games played in the year, don't we all agree that there will be bigger issues at hand?

I'm just glad we are in a full rebuild phase when this is good on!!
Just spitballing how they could still get decent footy in for both players and spectators if the season does resume at some point

It's easy to play a short season just like the AFLW do - eg 2 groups of 9 ( 8+ games each) plus say top 2 each group knockout semis then grand final.
That's a 10 week season. Could have a similar AFL reserves competition on the same lines running concurrently.

(Personally, i think we should get on with life and just play and if some of us drop off the planet then so be it :)

We play 17 games so teams will have either 9 or 8 home games,

If it's Port's home showdown then you would think that it won't count towards our home game tally.

That will give us either 9 home game including the Showdown or potentially 10 home games if we're one of the teams getting 9.

You'd think both Adelaide and Port will play 8 home games, 8 away games and the Showdown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are they going to administer a shared home game though?
The only fair system is for each non-Victorian team to play 8 home games, 8 away games plus a Showdown/Derby.

One way to allocate tickets for the Showdown/Derby is to have alternate bays for Crows and Pear season ticket holders, similar for reserved seats in the Western Stand and Sponsors areas. Another alternative is a ballot for season ticket holders for both teams. We did manage to have a Showdown Final.

Of course that assumes the AFL knows what they are doing so WTFK.

No but our Showdown is in round 2 which will be played in an empty stadium
I don’t expect Round One to go ahead, let alone Round Two in 10 days time.

If there is a single player to player transmission of coronavirus, what is the legal liability of the AFL? At least the NBA can claim much less was known about transmission two weeks ago.

I wouldn’t like to be the guy who encouraged a couple of hundred thousand people to go to the footy last weekend.

You reckon we'll do a whole season without crowd attendance?

I would say there's almost a 5% chance of that happening, at this stage I would say that if we actually get any footy that closed stadiums will more than likely be the only option on the table.

Redu e each quarter to 15 minutes and add 3 minutes to half time break. Play every 5 days. But no extra half time break between clubs from the same state. Get games in while they can.

A group of WA health professionals are calling for a ban on flights into and out of Perth.

The AFL may have to reduce the league to 10 teams, all games played at Docklands, an 9 week season plus finals.
A return to Traditional Footy!

You'd give one side the "home" game but realistically it will be played in an empty stadium so who cares
How about the first half is a port home game and then we move everyone out and allow the crows supporters in and the second half is a crows home game.....oh wait a second there wont be any supporters to move in and out.

I am not one who likes the idea of shorter games. If we allow the AFL to have shorter games for this season I bet that they will try and make the games in 2021 shorter than the current 20mins plus time on.

Got a funny feeling that this season is going to be a huge waste of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back