2020 membership thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know the club needs to look at new ways to raise money. I may be wrong but I think this is new this season. You buy a social club membership to guarantee a grand final ticket. The expectation is a seat but I know from 2016 there is some chance you will be allocated standing room and this is now stated a rider to social club membership details.

So after purchasing the social club membership you now learn your chance of a seat is reduced unless you pay an additional $100. I just think this is a bit sneaky. Do not get me be wrong I will over the moon if it becomes an issue and we are there in the last day of September, never seen us win a flag in September.

1583359458144.png

I know the club needs to look at new ways to raise money. I may be wrong but I think this is new this season. You buy a social club membership to guarantee a grand final ticket. The expectation is a seat but I know from 2016 there is some chance you will be allocated standing room and this is now stated a rider to social club membership details.

So after purchasing the social club membership you now learn your chance of a seat is reduced unless you pay an additional $100. I just think this is a bit sneaky. Do not get me be wrong I will over the moon if it becomes an issue and we are there in the last day of September, never seen us win a flag in September.

View attachment 833798
This package was launched in May 2016, before we won the flag. It's capped at 2,000 people. It does reduce the chance of a seated ticket with a social club membership though.

View attachment 833798

I purchased this as soon as it was released in 2016 to accompany my two social club memberships. It was well worth it. I wouldn't call it 'sneaky', more 'peace of mind'. Kinda like insurance. Just like purchasing normal membership, you run the risk of missing out on access to GF tickets. Purchasing social club membership means you at least get access to GF tickets. Charles Sutton Premiership Circle means you not only have access to GF tickets, but guarantees a seat. Simples. You can go without. If the Dogs don't make the GF, then those that have purchased it effectively gave some extra cash to the club. For those that can afford it, that's likely not a big deal. Each to their own and each within their means.

I purchased this as soon as it was released in 2016 to accompany my two social club memberships. It was well worth it. I wouldn't call it 'sneaky', more 'peace of mind'. Kinda like insurance. Just like purchasing normal membership, you run the risk of missing out on access to GF tickets. Purchasing social club membership means you at least get access to GF tickets. Charles Sutton Premiership Circle means you not only have access to GF tickets, but guarantees a seat. Simples. You can go without. If the Dogs don't make the GF, then those that have purchased it effectively gave some extra cash to the club. For those that can afford it, that's likely not a big deal. Each to their own and each within their means.

Ok, I have been social club since 2015 and must have not been aware there was another level so not sneaky. May I suggest they market it under one umbrella Social club level 1 and 2 explaining the difference bit like general admission and reserved seat.

Sums it up pretty well.
The unfortunate fact (for any club, but especially for a club with strong working class origins) is that getting to see your side play the big games is a tiered system. No problem for those of us with a bit of spare lolly. Not quite so accessible if you haven't got the do-re-mi.

This is how we know footy is slightly more an entertainment than a sport these days.

I know it wouldn't happen but next time we make a GF I'd love to see the club set aside a number of tickets - even a token number, like say 100 or 200 - for those who are genuinely short of a quid. People who have followed the club through thin and thin for decades, maybe even for generations.

At least there's still the TV.

The social club, when fully booked, does not exhaust the club's allocation of GF tickets. There are some left for a ballot to regular members, as there were in 2016.

The Sutton add-on ensures that the GF ticket is from tier 1 or tier 2 (there are about 5 tiers) in terms of seat quality. I did not have Sutton add-on in 2016 and got a tier 4 seat on the ground level slightly around from the Punt Rd goals. The seats were great.

The social club, when fully booked, does not exhaust the club's allocation of GF tickets. There are some left for a ballot to regular members, as there were in 2016.

The Sutton add-on ensures that the GF ticket is from tier 1 or tier 2 (there are about 5 tiers) in terms of seat quality. I did not have Sutton add-on in 2016 and got a tier 4 seat on the ground level slightly around from the Punt Rd goals. The seats were great.
We were level 3 of 4 behind the Punt Rd goals. Think that was tier 5 from memory.

Bit the bullet and finally got some reserved seats for me and my son. Been very fed up with my AFL membership of late and am trading it in for reserved seats. Already had social club so didn’t upgrade there. According to the lady in the membership department, there are good seats still available in all different sections.
Hoping I made the right call

Bit the bullet and finally got some reserved seats for me and my son. Been very fed up with my AFL membership of late and am trading it in for reserved seats. Already had social club so didn’t upgrade there. According to the lady in the membership department, there are good seats still available in all different sections.
I prefer reserved seats over everyone else. Someone I know offers some of us seats up in one of the boxes but I prefer to be among my people.

Can I ask why you were fed up with it? Were you a gold or silver member?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If for whatever reason a reserved seat holder can’t make it, can other people use them or is that “frowned upon”? Asking for a mate
Nobody cares. The seat's been paid for and if you mate is lending it to you its all good. My relative is a Carlton supporter and his mate lets us use his membership when he can't make it so we can sit on Level 1 together instead of going GA.

And for one day only, Bulldogs fans can purchase a 10-Game Flexi general admission membership for the price of a 5-Game Flexi general admission membership. That's a massive saving of $90.

Flexi GA memberships are different from your usual general admission membership, as you can redeem multiple passes for one game for friends and family.

These 10 passes can be used in any combination across the Club’s nine home games at Marvel Stadium in 2020.

full details and story here

How is the threat of not being allowed to attend games going to impact on sales. I think it is going to have a big impact going forward and 50,000 members aim is not going to happen. We may not have got there anyway.

Can I ask why you were fed up with it? Were you a gold or silver member?
Silver member and have been for 11 years. Every year, we have lost more and more benefits as most of our games are at Marvel. The AFL members seating is either n/a and filled with corporate guests (ie- Crown Melbourne get a bunch of seats to sell/use out of the AFL members allotment). Or, on games against interstate clubs, they tend to just allow anyone to sit in the AFL members areas. I’m paying a lot for no real benefit.

I figured today would be a good day to renew my :bulldogs: membership.

A few minutes ago I became a Western Bulldogs member for my 43rd year. My cat, Zsa Zsa, from Williamstown is now in her 3rd year of membership.

I doubt that I will be able to attend any matches this year once again, even beyond the circumstances at this time. Hopefully things will get better sooner rather than later and you all can enjoy going to the footy once again. I just can not imagine a world without being able to watch the Bulldogs and my Cubbies. Now, go wash your hands! :)

Granted my membership fee is high (I have a coterie for myself and my partner) I still dont want a cent back. I love this club and anything we can do to rally around it when it needs us most I am happy to do. Seems like most supporters are in a similar boat and its fantastic to see everyone rallying behind it when it needs us the most

I'm currently in a position to be able to treat my membership as a donation to the club, but as we see industry after industry get shut down there are going to be others who suddenly have much less or no income and they won't necessarily have that liberty to treat their membership as a donation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back