Women's Footy 2020 AFLW Season - the return of the Lionesses

If there's been no risk of coronavirus infection so far and there has been none deemed for the men, what makes it different for the women? The only thing I can think of is they still work day jobs?
No risk is not the reason why they are starting the Men’s season.
There is a very real risk that someone will contract the virus at some stage which is why it is now only a 17 game season.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is it? The AFLW is already playing with no crowd, there's less games to complete to finish the series out legitimately - and less games per round anyway, and if they're cutting games while the men's season starts this weekend then they already intended to run two leagues at the same time anyway.

If there's been no risk of coronavirus infection so far and there has been none deemed for the men, what makes it different for the women? The only thing I can think of is they still work day jobs?

Money to charter flights, book hotel floors, etc.

And yeah day jobs

If they were to play a similar finals series to the men, I reckon we will more than likely play Collingwood again.
Up here, maybe at Hickey Park again?
Or would they play it at a the Gabba?
Imagine if we played at the GABBA without people! The girls would be so frustrated after our Gabba GF was sabotaged by Mitchell.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
feels life we have been losing our steam, hopefully the abridged season gives them a shock and we can get back to our best from the first few weeks.

wardlaw and woosha to dominate

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Don’t want to see it happen, but will be interesting* to see what happens if an AFLW player in a finals team tests positive.

*Interesting isn’t exactly the word I want, but can’t think of the appropriate word.

Don’t want to see it happen, but will be interesting* to see what happens if an AFLW player in a finals team tests positive.

*Interesting isn’t exactly the word I want, but can’t think of the appropriate word.
Sad is the word I would use. 😞

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Imagine if we played at the GABBA without people! The girls would be so frustrated after our Gabba GF was sabotaged by Mitchell.
Cost of playing at Gabba would rule that out.
Just hope the girls can improve on last weeks effort
One thing we should have learned this year is anything is possible

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

So we picked up our number one academy prospect, who potentially has more X factor than any girl on our list.

An ex-Union, ex-kiwi, out of SA, who won best on ground in the 2019 SANFLW GF as a 16 year old and calls AFL soft.

And Cathy Svarc’s younger sister from Essendon VFL.

Looks like a good night.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looks like speed was a focus in the off season as well as a couple of talls

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Looks like speed was a focus in the off season as well as a couple of talls
Along with our trade and free agency moves, we’ve added 5 new faces.

Tall forward from Gold Coast, Taylor Smith to join Jesse Wardlaw in two pronged tall forward attack.

Two Lightning quick small forwards in Courtney Hodder and Zimmi Farquharson.

Developing ruck forward Indy Tahau, who is also good below her knees and is a real utility type.

And Ruby Svarc, who is a fast back flanker like her sister.

With Jacinda Barclay's sad passing, learning about her career has made me reflect on how wonderous the AFLW is. Jacinda went off to play in the then-named Lingerie Football League to get what she needed from a full-contact, paid semi-professional or professional sport less than 10 years ago.
While overdue in many ways, the timing did manage to avoid that horrible pressure to over sexualise it, for which many of us are greatful I am sure. While I am sure this had nothing to do with Jacinda's demons, it does shine a light on how mature the AFL has been, and despite the trolls and naysayers the AFLW is the better for these previous missteps.
RIP Jacinda

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
With Jacinda Barclay's sad passing, learning about her career has made me reflect on how wonderous the AFLW is. Jacinda went off to play in the then-named Lingerie Football League to get what she needed from a full-contact, paid semi-professional or professional sport less than 10 years ago.
While overdue in many ways, the timing did manage to avoid that horrible pressure to over sexualise it, for which many of us are greatful I am sure. While I am sure this had nothing to do with Jacinda's demons, it does shine a light on how mature the AFL has been, and despite the trolls and naysayers the AFLW is the better for these previous missteps.
RIP Jacinda
And as with so many of these things, none of her friends saw it coming (one of my friends is a friend of hers from back in her baseball days and was still in contact with her). They are all in complete shock and even with the benefit of hindsight it still makes no sense to them.

And as with so many of these things, none of her friends saw it coming (one of my friends is a friend of hers from back in her baseball days and was still in contact with her). They are all in complete shock and even with the benefit of hindsight it still makes no sense to them.
I've stood on that threshold. None of my loved ones would have seen it coming. It's worth coming back but it is a lonely place to be in.

Back