EPL Matchday 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Because they prioritise money over everything.
Peter FitzSimons absolutely blasted both footy codes for playing on.

Sam Newman showed a view from his docklands balcony of a Chinese cruise ship anchored in the bay, not allowed to dock. But we’ll play footy lol.

Local footy leagues across the country are being suspended and cancelled. They’d get no more than 500-750 to games.
Ditto state leagues. Also postponed.
AFL... Soldiers on.

Would prefer it to be called off tbh

No because they're prioritising normalcy. It's a huge morale boost to not only everyone involved but all supporters to be able to take their mind off what's going on if only for two hours.

They're all taking huge pay cuts.

They're also trying to get rounds in now before things get worse.
Wonder whether you'll change your mind when footy players start getting infected. There's contrarian views and then there is madness.

Wonder whether you'll change your mind when footy players start getting infected. There's contrarian views and then there is madness.

Why would I change my mind? If they start getting infected the league will be called off. Are you suggesting they're at higher risk of getting infected by playing than I am from catching the train to work?

It's not the footy players at risk of getting infected, it's the staff as well. And their families when they get home.

To me it's just irresponsible.

It's not the footy players at risk of getting infected, it's the staff as well. And their families when they get home.

To me it's just irresponsible.

At risk of getting infected from who?

I'm seriously not just trying to be argumentative here, but the logic for the footy players is they are already taking every precaution of isolation - presume that means going straight home from training, sanitizing, etc. - so how are they more at risk playing a game of footy than us out in public? If the players are at risk then we should all be locked down at home. If the staff are at risk then no office worker should be leaving their house. As it stands, the staff assisting in footy matches are no more at risk than the rest of us, and are probably less at risk given all the precautions that will be taken.

Why would I change my mind? If they start getting infected the league will be called off. Are you suggesting they're at higher risk of getting infected by playing than I am from catching the train to work?
Everyone is at risk. You shouldn't be going into the office ffs.

Everyone is at risk. You shouldn't be going into the office ffs.

Australia isn't in lock down so we continue until it is. I can't just decide to stay home and forgo salary mate.

At risk of getting infected from who?

I'm seriously not just trying to be argumentative here, but the logic for the footy players is they are already taking every precaution of isolation - presume that means going straight home from training, sanitizing, etc. - so how are they more at risk playing a game of footy than us out in public? If the players are at risk then we should all be locked down at home. If the staff are at risk then no office worker should be leaving their house. As it stands, the staff assisting in footy matches are no more at risk than the rest of us, and are probably less at risk given all the precautions that will be taken.
Why do you think participants from almost every other sport in the world are self isolating atm. What makes the AFL special?

Why do you think participants from almost every other sport in the world are self isolating atm. What makes the AFL special?

The AFL isn't special. Several leagues are still running because Australian cases are still relatively low, and they're trying to get some form of a season started early before our cases do start to spiral.

You can't WFH? Is Aus still that backwards?

I didn't say that.

Australia isn't in lock down so we continue until it is. I can't just decide to stay home and forgo salary mate.
This will be the big one for casuals with no leave or sick entitlements.
They need to be encouraged to go on the Gov' special COVID-19 based relief payments and employers need to stand by them, otherwise we'll have potentially infected casuals going to work cos they need a salary.
You can't WFH? Is Aus still that backwards?
I can't. Postal service employee.
We work in the community until we're shut down I guess.

They need to be encouraged to go on the Gov' special COVID-19 based relief payments and employers need to stand by them, otherwise we'll have potentially infected casuals going to work cos they need a salary.

I work at a construction company. Yes I individually could work from home but my company would grind to a standstill if they sent everyone home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I work at a construction company. Yes I individually could work from home but my company would grind to a standstill if they sent everyone home.
I work in insurance, 50 of 80 staff are now WFH. Construction workers etc I get as it's outdoors etc, but if you're in an office and have the capacity to WFH, I don't see why anybody shouldn't be.

I work in insurance, 50 of 80 staff are now WFH. Construction workers etc I get as it's outdoors etc, but if you're in an office and have the capacity to WFH, I don't see why anybody shouldn't be.

Quite simply, productivity. Today is a quiet day but for most of this week I've been pretty flat out helping to wrap up our audit, would be incredibly difficult to do from home.

Lockdown will come in the next weeks I'm sure but for now I'm fine going to work.

Fair enough.

Are you happy to still go and see your grandparents given that your exposure may be high (if you're traveling on trains etc)?

Of course not, I basically commute between home and work and that's it.

Unlikely you will be, mail like power, water, garbage etc are still an essential things to keep society running.

It would be a lockdown with social isolation, this isn't the apocalypse people.

Unlikely you will be, mail like power, water, garbage etc are still an essential things to keep society running.

It would be a lockdown with social isolation, this isn't the apocalypse people.
Nah already been discussed in our area.
If the local sorting facility is shut down (we only have one) then only express parcels will be prioritised. All regular mail and parcels will be on severe delays or stopped. Street delivered letters are already on delayed delivery.

The AFL isn't special. Several leagues are still running because Australian cases are still relatively low, and they're trying to get some form of a season started early before our cases do start to spiral.

I didn't say that.
So why would you take the risk of using PT when you can WFH?

So they are starting the season knowing that it will have to stop soon?

So why would you take the risk of using PT when you can WFH?

So they are starting the season knowing that it will have to stop soon?

There's barely anyone on trains these days, I'm more isolated on the train than I am at work.

Yes exactly. The talk is they're going to try to fit in 5 rounds in the next 3 weeks and then shut down over winter and start back up in Spring. It all sounds pretty crazy but it's a welcome distraction at the moment.

Poor bugger. Good luck mate.

There's barely anyone on trains these days, I'm more isolated on the train than I am at work.

Yes exactly. The talk is they're going to try to fit in 5 rounds in the next 3 weeks and then shut down over winter and start back up in Spring. It all sounds pretty crazy but it's a welcome distraction at the moment.
It took 2 cases of coronavirus on my sisters floor at PwC for them to let staff wfh. Big 4 are usually very slow but would have thought they'd have taken a global stance.

Nah already been discussed in our area.
If the local sorting facility is shut down (we only have one) then only express parcels will be prioritised. All regular mail and parcels will be on severe delays or stopped. Street delivered letters are already on delayed delivery.

Fair enough

It took 2 cases of coronavirus on my sisters floor at PwC for them to let staff wfh. Big 4 are usually very slow but would have thought they'd have taken a global stance.

I haven't been at the Big 4 for several years if that's what you're referring to. I know EY and a few others have gone to WFH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back