Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
Ballarat via Melbourne via Hobart via Albury
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Albury Bandits, Orlando Magic
Developer here.

1) Buy the 2020 version. The non-2020 version was only "released" this week because Steam gifted 2020 to everyone who had the original, but in order to do that it had to assign both the original and 2020 to Package 1, so then had to create Package 2 that features just the original. Unfortunately Package 2 contains the old price (which reflects the price of both games combined) and the new release date.
2) There are some screenshots users have posted using 2020 lists on the Discord server here, though they also show a few issues the game currently has due to its early access status (I'm happy with the end of season best 22, though): https://discord.gg/7GspWCK
3) At this point I'm still pushing daily patches to get the game out of early access. Very happy with the game generally, but there are a lot of rough patches that need to be smoothed over, very complicated game to make and a lot of new situations have been reported this week that I've never seen before/weren't reported in testing.
4) Rucks are still probably more important in this game than in real life, though a patch pushed yesterday should help mitigate that - the issue with the original is they always took all of the hitouts, so they were always near the ball and not playing defense on the wings/in the half-back part of the field as per the positional heat maps I've seen
5) Once the game's out of early access, it should be easy to compile and release for Mac.

I can't wait! Please let me know when this happens and I'll grab it.

stattosoftware

Debutant
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can't wait! Please let me know when this happens and I'll grab it.

The biggest issue on my end is I need to find a Mac to compile the game on. I know the game will compile - it's developed on Linux (would release for Linux too, but there's a bug that's not in the game's code, but in the code that the game imports for specific things, that crashes the game whenever you use the middle mouse button - once I get that fixed I will) and then compiled to Windows only at the very end, but you can't compile for Mac unless you're on a Mac, probably for legal reasons.

But I've had several people ask, so will do what I can to make it happen once the game's in a more finished state (I don't think it's "unfinished" but there's definitely a few bugs to work thru.)

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The biggest issue on my end is I need to find a Mac to compile the game on. I know the game will compile - it's developed on Linux (would release for Linux too, but there's a bug that's not in the game's code, but in the code that the game imports for specific things, that crashes the game whenever you use the middle mouse button - once I get that fixed I will) and then compiled to Windows only at the very end, but you can't compile for Mac unless you're on a Mac, probably for legal reasons.

But I've had several people ask, so will do what I can to make it happen once the game's in a more finished state (I don't think it's "unfinished" but there's definitely a few bugs to work thru.)
Excellent. Thanks for the update!

100% will buy if it's out on Mac.

If anyone would like to download my mod for official logos for every team here is the link.
Installation instructions are in one of the txt files.

stattosoftware

Debutant
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've sourced a Mac laptop for the next couple months, so the game may be available on Mac as soon as this weekend (no promises though.)

stattosoftware

Debutant
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've sourced a Mac laptop for the next couple months, so the game may be available on Mac as soon as this weekend (no promises though.)

We're live on Mac! I can't guarantee it'll work properly but everything ran exceptionally smoothly on an old Mac laptop and I've had some experience with Mac working seamlessly on the old version so decided to go ahead and release. If you buy please let me know if you have any problems.

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
We're live on Mac! I can't guarantee it'll work properly but everything ran exceptionally smoothly on an old Mac laptop and I've had some experience with Mac working seamlessly on the old version so decided to go ahead and release. If you buy please let me know if you have any problems.
Give me the weekend to give a run :)

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Looks like I can't even open stattosoftware ... :(

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 1.07.59 pm.png

stattosoftware

Debutant
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looks like I can't even open stattosoftware ... :(

View attachment 893269

So sorry, I still haven't figured out how to sort that one! I've just tried to fix it again but I'm not sure if it'll work. The current workaround: right click on the game's name, go to Properties, open the tab "Local Files," click "Browse Local Files" then click on AFC2019 and it should load. The error is just that Steam is looking for it in the wrong place, though the file name should be correct.

Please let me know if you have any other issues, only the second time releasing for Mac and first on Steam

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
So sorry, I still haven't figured out how to sort that one! I've just tried to fix it again but I'm not sure if it'll work. The current workaround: right click on the game's name, go to Properties, open the tab "Local Files," click "Browse Local Files" then click on AFC2019 and it should load. The error is just that Steam is looking for it in the wrong place, though the file name should be correct.

Please let me know if you have any other issues, only the second time releasing for Mac and first on Steam
Thanks mate, that worked fine. I'll just add a desktop shortcut instead.

stattosoftware

Debutant
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One issue that I've been having is that custom team logos reset every new calendar year if they've have their colours or designs changed. It's a pretty minor issue, but it keeps bugging me a little.

That's really odd. So if you change a team's colours and their design from stripes to hoops, at the end of the year the original design will be back? Or will you change the team's colours but not the logo design? Or does it wipe a previously loaded image?

The only code which gets run when the year ticks over is unattached players retire and new fictional coaches are created, would have liked to have patched this but I'm not sure what's going on. Logo code only exists when a new team gets created (which in programming terms happens whenever a game is started or loaded.) So want to figure this one out

That's really odd. So if you change a team's colours and their design from stripes to hoops, at the end of the year the original design will be back? Or will you change the team's colours but not the logo design? Or does it wipe a previously loaded image?

The only code which gets run when the year ticks over is unattached players retire and new fictional coaches are created, would have liked to have patched this but I'm not sure what's going on. Logo code only exists when a new team gets created (which in programming terms happens whenever a game is started or loaded.) So want to figure this one out
It'll keep the colours you changed it to, but if you changed the design, it reverts back.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey guys started playing this today. It’s excellent. One negative - can the scores be slightly fixed? All games I’m seeing ridiculously accurate goal kicking. I don’t think my team has kicked more than 6 behinds yet...

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone got any tips on this game? Currently coaching Adelaide and just cannot get close to winning a game! (I know that sounds very real but I’m getting really flogged by some poor teams). The training schedule part is really confusing- everyone is stuck on “fitness” training and most of my players seem to be getting worse. Are we meant to change each player individually ?

stattosoftware

Debutant
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anyone got any tips on this game? Currently coaching Adelaide and just cannot get close to winning a game! (I know that sounds very real but I’m getting really flogged by some poor teams). The training schedule part is really confusing- everyone is stuck on “fitness” training and most of my players seem to be getting worse. Are we meant to change each player individually ?

Haven't quite finished the manual yet but the Training section is complete, I've copied and pasted it below.

In terms of accuracy, the players in the game are probably a little bit too smart in terms of knowing where to kick from (think St Kilda this year) and will look to get a better shot closer to the goal most of the time.

Training

The training system in Australian Football Coach 2020 is relatively complex and works closely with the scouting, coaching, and player potential systems.

In order to improve their skills, players must either train or play in competitive matches. If they train, they have a chance to get better at a specific skill. That skill varies depending on the type of training.

Skill training gives players a chance to improve general skills.

Positional training breaks players out by position and trains skills important for their position – for instance, forwards will practice set shots, while midfielders may practice handballs.

Individual training will let you split players into individual groups based on their current training and intensity levels. Higher intensity means more fatigue in training, but a larger chance of a successful training session. You can set what a player is meant to train on the training screen.

Fitness training will improve a player’s fitness, which directly relates to how fatigued they are, and how well they will play in a match. Players who are not fit will fatigue more quickly.

Recovery and rest work a little bit differently – recovery heals both fitness and fatigue, while rest has a larger impact on fatigue only.

Players cannot train if they are travelling to a different city for a match, the AI will adjust this for you. Players also train individually over the offseason.

Your assistant coach will use your training template to set the week’s training.

How well a player does in training is based on several different attributes: their “natural” skill level, their peak, and their work ethic. Players will improve until their peak, which typically is in the mid-20s, and then start a period of decline from there. Players with a higher work ethic rating will improve more quickly. Finally, once a player hits their “natural” skill level, their improvement will slow down dramatically. However, a player with a low natural skill and high work ethic may be able to maintain their skill level for years after they’ve peaked even with a high work ethic.

Therefore, potential isn’t fixed or natural – you use scouts to figure out how good a player will be in the future. If a player is declining and you can’t seem to do anything to stop it, they have almost certainly peaked, and you should take this into account when managing your list. However, slight declines may not be a problem, especially if a player is injured.

Players will also improve more quickly with good coaching and training facilities.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Haven't quite finished the manual yet but the Training section is complete, I've copied and pasted it below.

In terms of accuracy, the players in the game are probably a little bit too smart in terms of knowing where to kick from (think St Kilda this year) and will look to get a better shot closer to the goal most of the time.

Training

The training system in Australian Football Coach 2020 is relatively complex and works closely with the scouting, coaching, and player potential systems.

In order to improve their skills, players must either train or play in competitive matches. If they train, they have a chance to get better at a specific skill. That skill varies depending on the type of training.

Skill training gives players a chance to improve general skills.

Positional training breaks players out by position and trains skills important for their position – for instance, forwards will practice set shots, while midfielders may practice handballs.

Individual training will let you split players into individual groups based on their current training and intensity levels. Higher intensity means more fatigue in training, but a larger chance of a successful training session. You can set what a player is meant to train on the training screen.

Fitness training will improve a player’s fitness, which directly relates to how fatigued they are, and how well they will play in a match. Players who are not fit will fatigue more quickly.

Recovery and rest work a little bit differently – recovery heals both fitness and fatigue, while rest has a larger impact on fatigue only.

Players cannot train if they are travelling to a different city for a match, the AI will adjust this for you. Players also train individually over the offseason.

Your assistant coach will use your training template to set the week’s training.

How well a player does in training is based on several different attributes: their “natural” skill level, their peak, and their work ethic. Players will improve until their peak, which typically is in the mid-20s, and then start a period of decline from there. Players with a higher work ethic rating will improve more quickly. Finally, once a player hits their “natural” skill level, their improvement will slow down dramatically. However, a player with a low natural skill and high work ethic may be able to maintain their skill level for years after they’ve peaked even with a high work ethic.

Therefore, potential isn’t fixed or natural – you use scouts to figure out how good a player will be in the future. If a player is declining and you can’t seem to do anything to stop it, they have almost certainly peaked, and you should take this into account when managing your list. However, slight declines may not be a problem, especially if a player is injured.

Players will also improve more quickly with good coaching and training facilities.

thanks for that! are you also able to provide instructions on how to amend the names of new draftees?

stattosoftware

Debutant
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
thanks for that! are you also able to provide instructions on how to amend the names of new draftees?

In the GameMedia/Data folder, the names files are First.csv and Last.csv - Last.csv is just a list of names, but the first column in First.csv is gender (0=male, 1=female) separated by a tab.

If you're looking to make custom draft lists, create a file called DraftPicks.csv and place it in your scenario folder ("2020" for 2020), this is exactly like the Players.csv database except the leftmost id column is removed and replaced with two other columns, in order year and target_league_id.

Almost everything here is editable.

Aug 24, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anyone here want to help put together some updated rosters for the upcoming year?
Only have to do a few teams each and we could knock it out fairly quickly. I've done the lists, jersey numbers, contracts, birthdays, weights/heights etc. But rating every player is daunting. Although I have finished 1 team and started several others.
Happy to let you know the guidelines I'm using too so it can be uniform.
I know people could be bias toward their own team but I personally think it makes it easier to rate as they have a lot more knowledge where as I'm struggling with a lot of players I haven't actually seen play.

stattosoftware

Debutant
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well, there will be a 2021 game update - include lists for the new year and several new feature updates (better player decision making in the match simulation, sound, team statistics, additional player statistics, new awards screen, completely reworked regens which fixes list management/veteran re-drafting issues, watch any game, numerous bug fixes.) Probably looking at mid April for the lists, the update could probably get pushed now but want to re-work trades as well.

Well, there will be a 2021 game update - include lists for the new year and several new feature updates (better player decision making in the match simulation, sound, team statistics, additional player statistics, new awards screen, completely reworked regens which fixes list management/veteran re-drafting issues, watch any game, numerous bug fixes.) Probably looking at mid April for the lists, the update could probably get pushed now but want to re-work trades as well.

How's it working on Mac? Keen to give it a crack. Great to see you still developing the game after so many years mate.

Back