UberEats and Deliveroo are industry pariahs and the Coronavirus is allowing them to cash in like never before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
I don't own a restaurant and am not employed in this industry but I have a number of friends who are and their biggest concern at the moment is the damage that delivery services are doing to their industry. So, I ask that we all try to get takeaway rather than UberEats or Deliveroo if we can. Ubereats and Delievroo are pariahs and they are destroying the foodservice industry from the bottom up.

They charge each outlet up to 35% of each order and accept no risk for mistreated items that they deliver, so the restaurant absorbs that risk too. UberEats, Deliveroo and the like are slowly sending our fantastic dining industry to the wall and these small businesses are bleeding right now.

I know social distancing is important at the moment but if you can find a way to get a takeaway form the outlet rather than ordering delivery you will make sure your money goes to where it should go and preserve one of the pillars of the Australian social scene (whenever it gets back on it's feet).

A bunch of restaurants around me are redeploying their staff off the floor and into delivery roles. It’s a good move and hopefully it helps keep the delivery services at bay.

Hard to see a lot of businesses surviving on deliveries alone though. I like my local Italian place’s seafood linguine, but not enough to pay $32 including delivery to eat it out of a Chinese container.

Last edited:

I tell everyone who will listen to go pick their food up for this reason. Unfortunately, there are a lot of lazy campaigners out there

1 mate even knows they take 35% and still won't drive 2 mins to collect food citing 'That's the cost of doing business'. Laziness will be the death of the west if the eternally offended don't ruin us first

If anything comes out of this, I'd be cool with restaurants as an industry downsizing drastically. Still need to have some food outlets and sitdown joints out of necessity so people don't go hungry when spending time in the city and have a place to spend some time at, but it always felt to me like a disproportionately silly human industry. Hopefully simple home cooking sees a resurgence. Delivery of takeaway isn't a regular affordable option for most people.

A bunch of restaurants around me are redeploying their staff off the floor and into delivery roles. It’s a good move and hopefully it helps keep the delivery services at bay.

Hard to see a lot of businesses surviving on deliveries alone though. I like my local Italian place’s seafood linguine, but not enough to pay $32 including delivery to eat it out of a Chinese container.

There's an app idea. Uber eats like layout but it's being delivered by the restaurants themselves. This probably already exists, I don't know.

As bad as Uber Eats is in terms of profitability for these small take away joints, many times I've ordered from places I would never even consider going to.

I don't own a restaurant and am not employed in this industry but I have a number of friends who are and their biggest concern at the moment is the damage that delivery services are doing to their industry. So, I ask that we all try to get takeaway rather than UberEats or Deliveroo if we can. Ubereats and Delievroo are pariahs and they are destroying the foodservice industry from the bottom up.

They charge each outlet up to 35% of each order and accept no risk for mistreated items that they deliver, so the restaurant absorbs that risk too. UberEats, Deliveroo and the like are slowly sending our fantastic dining industry to the wall and these small businesses are bleeding right now.

I know social distancing is important at the moment but if you can find a way to get a takeaway form the outlet rather than ordering delivery you will make sure your money goes to where it should go and preserve one of the pillars of the Australian social scene (whenever it gets back on it's feet).
What about Menulog?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I received a voucher code for 100 free uber eats deliveries but haven't used it because I assume the driver is not making any money. I doubt I will use them again if the restaurant is not making any money.

Think about the business model that would allow for that sort of free service.

They are gouging restaurants. It's absolutely disgusting. And because of how the market is geared, restaurant owners feel like they have to participate just to keep their product as a viable option for consumers. They participate because everyone else does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazon has been doing this for a while already. And all because I guess some people can't be bothered supporting local business, so they take the path of least resistance and shop online.

I refuse to buy online unless it's something I can't find anywhere else.

I just used menulog to order my pickup dinner tonight. Might have to start calling the restaurant directly.

A couple of local places I go to are still running as normal currently, so I'm going to keep giving them custom when I can.

If becomes a case that the pizza shop can only cook and deliver then I'll go with that. * Uber Eats/Deliveroo.

I just used menulog to order my pickup dinner tonight. Might have to start calling the restaurant directly.
We use them, but when the food is delivered by an employee of the shop. Not some random.

I was wondering if they are better than Uber and Deliveryroo.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Remember that for whatever your order through Uber Eats they automatically take a 35% cut, and then a fee goes to the driver. Cut out the middle man so that 35% stays with the restaurant.

Had to use Menulog the other week because that was how a shop set up their orders, and it was just a $10 fee on top of the order value to have the guy from the shop roll up.

I've a question for yous who know better than I on this topic:

I've never ordered an UberLogEroo via the apps web. I know my flaws well enough that that's a Pandora's Box I need to leave closed. However I order pizza from one of the local purveyors a couple of times a month. The store is walking distance, but it's an inconvenient walking distance carrying a couple of pizzas.

So I've always rung them up and ordered delivery. It's been $3 on top of the order since before UberLogEroo existed. Still is. I usually give the driver an extra goldy.

But recently I've noticed that they are extracting my pizzas from a Deliveroo bag. What do we reckon is going on here? Is this pizza shop being screwed over by Deliveroo now? The price hasn't changed and $3 isn't near 35%. If they sign up with these pirates, do they have to use them for all deliveries and have finished up their own guys?

Appreciated.

I've never ordered an UberLogEroo via the apps web. I know my flaws well enough that that's a Pandora's Box I need to leave closed. However I order pizza from one of the local purveyors a couple of times a month. The store is walking distance, but it's an inconvenient walking distance carrying a couple of pizzas.

So I've always rung them up and ordered delivery. It's been $3 on top of the order since before UberLogEroo existed. Still is. I usually give the driver an extra goldy.

But recently I've noticed that they are extracting my pizzas from a Deliveroo bag. What do we reckon is going on here? Is this pizza shop being screwed over by Deliveroo now? The price hasn't changed and $3 isn't near 35%. If they sign up with these pirates, do they have to use them for all deliveries and have finished up their own guys?

Appreciated.
Sounds that way
Probably got sold the idea they dont need to pay their delivery guy a wage and feul we take it all on for a %

Appreciated.

They add the $3 for delivery and slug the pizza shop 35%, plus the pizza shop pays the GST.

So let’s say you order 2 pizzas and it’s $30 plus delivery. Deliveroo is skimming close to $14 plus the pizza joint pays the GST and absorbs all the risk if Deliveroo botch the delivery.

Your pizza guy is lucky if he gets half the money.

I am amazed the law allows this. Of course, the right wing call this free market capitalism but that doesn’t make it morally acceptable.

Next time, if you are keen to find out more go and pick up the order and ask the pizza shop owner how much he is getting f***ed over. I am sure he/she would be happy to tell you how it works. Many restaurant owners are happy to educate people on what exactly is going on because most of us have no clue what this is doing to the industry.

Last edited:
A restraunt i've bought into, we only run it wednesdays/Thursdays. we switch it on fridays/saturday/sunday

worn the cost of people demanding refunds because we've supplied the wrong sauce when clearly they've ticked the one which has been delivered/ It's ok as it does tick orders through on slow days, You would be mental to accept orders when you have a reatraunt 50% full.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back