Preview Round 1 2020 Vs Crows

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you are into Martini's (and you should be).

There is a place there called, 'Patro's North Indian & Mexican Cuisine' that makes some of the best martini's on planet earth.

Let me know if you need any more tips whilst you're here. :)
Cheers.

found 3 places where I can get my Tiger on and really am enjoying it.

I reckon the kid knows how to play footy. Kicks to loose players because he sees the field. And his pace is handy too.
Even in his debut game he was running to the right spots to get over the top handballs or kick - our midfielders constantly didn't reward him. Lack of trust partly, but also because, lets face it, Parker, JPK, Hewett, aren't the easiest midfield to play with. All do a job, and have done great jobs, but when even Clarke comes in and revolutionises the midfield run, carry with give and go handballs and support - Houston we've had a problem. I'd prefer Clarke in the team over Ronke.
I'm happy to see both he and Rowbottom in the team, even Florent with his god awful kicking if played close in - it's what our midfield has needed for a season or two. Zip and a few guys with natural footy abilities not based on brawn. Lets see how he goes, and give Stephens some time to settle in.

Hope the kid backs himself, and the players also back him.

This !!!!!

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
richmond - 8 goal kickers
pies - 9
swans need to build those numbers....

Think the rule interpretation from umpires against defenders had a part to play in that stat. I think the Swans defenders may struggle tonight with being penalised by umpires as they are clearly cracking down on defenders doing any form of holding onto their opponent in a marking contest.

Clarko's breakfast whinge to Gill is still paying dividends for teams that have 200cm+ forwards and defenders as umps are cracking down this round. This maybe why McCartin is named in defence to counteract the height advantage Adelaide has up forward.

Thankfully Naismith with nullify the centre ruck contest so that Swans mids will be less likely to hold their opponent and hunt the ball instead.

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
.... This maybe why McCartin is named in defence to counteract the height advantage Adelaide has up forward.

LOL! When I looked at the named side my first reaction was Swans will get smashed, until I recognised the longstanding practice of deception in named side. Crows /M Nicks named theirs pretty much as to how they will line up.

Whilst McCartin can play CHB (I have advocated he could become a Paul Roos type versatile play KP forward and back) I think Brand will predominately take Tex Walker.

Great to see Heeney named FF but I doubt he will spend much (all) of the game there , but that is a headache for Crows traditional style KP tall set up, add Paps to that!

Blakey can play CHF?, but again I reckon McCartin will go there at times?

I have found it hard to get enthused in this compromised season, even less because I was anticipating at least one of Stephens or Gould to debut r#1 BUT:

With the wider TV view and less distraction it is much easier to pick the gameplan/style this year, it will be super interesting to see if Swan's replicate what Pies did last night and rotated the forwards to cause confusion? Or whether we will agian see a congested defensive rugby style rolling maul.

They can win this
Go the Swannies!

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
I just hope we put in a better performance than we did in the preseason games. Adelaide are not a great team themselves so these are the sort of games we need to win.

Cliche, but ONE game at a time! TRUE!

But, if you insist:

The next one is against the Dodo bummers with JD on our side (from the sidelines)

BLOOD BATH ! - Swans will win that one, by 1 point, even if Sir Dane has to sit on the top of the goal post!

Go Swannies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
McInerney has done well to be selected. There was only ever going to be 1 or 2 debutants (McInerney might as well be a debutant), and he got the call up before Stephens, Gould, Warner, Foot etc..
Congrats to him

Oct 1, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Key things for me:
Defence
Want Dawson to continue his meteoric rise from last year, and him and Mills to be our quarterbacks setting up play from HB.
I quite like our defence and i think we're one dashing defender down from a really solid back 6. Nice to see Lloyd named on the wing as his best work is going inside 50, not the back pocket possessions. Hopefully one of O'Riordan and McInerney can play that role.

Midfield
I want to see florent and rowbottom boss it - 25 and 20 touches respectively.
I want to see Naismith 2016 who can enable our midfield to be more proactive rather than reactive. Not expecting him to win the ruck contest at all, but compete and put a shift in around the ground.

Forward
Heeney, Hayward, Papley with 3 goals each. Hopefully Heeney/blakey can touch up the debutant McAsey.
Put Heeney in the goal square and let blakey roam half forward and use that left foot going inside 50.
Ronke to do a defensive forward role on one of Laird, Milera, Brodie Smith

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Key things for me:
Defence
Want Dawson to continue his meteoric rise from last year, and him and Mills to be our quarterbacks setting up play from HB.
I quite like our defence and i think we're one dashing defender down from a really solid back 6. Nice to see Lloyd named on the wing as his best work is going inside 50, not the back pocket possessions. Hopefully one of O'Riordan and McInerney can play that role.

Midfield
I want to see florent and rowbottom boss it - 25 and 20 touches respectively.
I want to see Naismith 2016 who can enable our midfield to be more proactive rather than reactive. Not expecting him to win the ruck contest at all, but compete and put a shift in around the ground.

Forward
Heeney, Hayward, Papley with 3 goals each. Hopefully Heeney/blakey can touch up the debutant McAsey.
Put Heeney in the goal square and let blakey roam half forward and use that left foot going inside 50.
Ronke to do a defensive forward role on one of Laird, Milera, Brodie Smith

The thing with Dawson is I really think he would be better in the half forward line than in defence. I want to see him kicking it to the forwards lace out, and sometimes doing some long bomb goals of his own.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Writing off the possibility for improvement from a 24 year old who has improved each year of his career to this point... doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe you are right, but I really don't see how you can have such high and low expectations of Warner and Hewett respectively based on exposed ability and output at this point.
Its a defendable position you have and I acknowledge that too. I'm confident but only time will tell.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Genuine question - can you explain why you think that Hewett has peaked?
Yes, was drafyed as dual sided outside player. Has been transformed both in game and body type to be an inside mid. Lacks the speed for current trend of inside mids eg. rowbottom, and we have jpk and parker and should be warner. Its not entirely his fault either, but he has peaked in the role he is being used in and that is unlikely to change now.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I have a question, which may sound silly, but trying to understand why game lengths have been shortened. Doubt it is helping with limiting spread of COVID19, just wondering if someone knows why. My guess is that due to shortened season it enables increased time to play commercials to offset/mitigate losses for tv rights holders. Has there been anything official?

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Don’t respond to the dickhead. He’s clearly just here to troll.
He's got a fairly decent mind on footy, prefer him disagreeing with me with reasoning and logic than a few others who dont really get the nuances of the game. Makes for genuine thinking through, I'm a strategist, looking for patterns in data and then make educated guesses.

This is a different type of season going to be some different output than expected from clubs as we go forward

a side like us who could have been a spoon side may end up a lot better

time will tell

makes it hard to judge

I have a question, which may sound silly, but trying to understand why game lengths have been shortened. Doubt it is helping with limiting spread of COVID19, just wondering if someone knows why. My guess is that due to shortened season it enables increased time to play commercials to offset/mitigate losses for tv rights holders. Has there been anything official?

Because we may end up playing Saturday’ then Tuesday then Friday in one week etc

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Yes, was drafyed as dual sided outside player. Has been transformed both in game and body type to be an inside mid. Lacks the speed for current trend of inside mids eg. rowbottom, and we have jpk and parker and should be warner. Its not entirely his fault either, but he has peaked in the role he is being used in and that is unlikely to change now.

He had always been predominantly an inside mid!

“His major strength as a midfielder is his ability to win the ball around congested situations and generate clearances for his side. At last season's under-18 championships, he ranked in the above-average category for clearances and contested possessions.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
He had always been predominantly an inside mid!

“His major strength as a midfielder is his ability to win the ball around congested situations and generate clearances for his side. At last season's under-18 championships, he ranked in the above-average category for clearances and contested possessions.

I disagree, was a young age dual sided skinnyish player.

According to Fox 90% of people like the shortened games and it likely here to stay. Sounds like shenanigans with the AFL. They are using this as an excuse to implement something they want.

I’m part of the 10%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back