Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. (Thread part 1 - cont in part 2, link in thread)

Has the coronavirus outbreak made you reconsider attending the footy

• Yes

Votes: 285 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 350 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can still be vigilant, and practice proper hygiene without the mass hysteria and trolls like you buying up all the bog rolls and hand sanitizers.

I haven't bought any toilet paper or hand sanitizer. I'm not hysterical. You're assumptions are your undoing. As they are about the virus.

Last edited:

The 1% claimed by authorities is due to many that catch corona don’t know they have it or not unwell enough to be tested

Just relax, it will be fine

The system is always strained and as they say “never let a crisis go to waste”. Corporates, departments and government need your fear.
Yet doctors in Italy have never seen anything like this during their professional careers. And you shrug your shoulders and say meh, the healthcare system is under strain anyway? Ridiculous.

You were the same guy advocating for the "herd immunity" nonsense the UK government was considering until that was rightly shot down as a bad idea. It will be fine... no, it's not fine. It'll get worse... US is already on its way to Italy's numbers, but they will be worse of due to greater incompetence and a s**t healthcare system.

Even at a 0.7% mortality rate, if by an absolute miracle that remains the same when our hospitals are completely overwhelmed.

We are on track for around 1,500,000 infections and 10,000 deaths by Anzac Day.

We have around 1,000 ICU beds with ventilators in the entire country.

You do the math.

Last edited:
Honestly these restrictions by the government are near useless. No one is listening to them. Public transport is still full. Schools are still open. Beaches are packed. Most of the 2,700 people who came off the cruise ship yesterday were allowed to waltz free onto public transport. This week will be telling for Australia.

Last edited:
Man people just love to play victim don’t they. Trust me, many Chinese people, more than an Australia’s worth, are as much a victim in this regard as you are. People who’ve never eaten an exotic animal and eat what you would probably call a relatively “normal” diet.

Some people would rather just point and blame en mass than understand the nuances I guess. It’s just easier. But I don’t get why the US isn’t getting some of this point and blame too then. It’s Australia's no.1 imported source of the virus after its leader spent many weeks obfuscating facts and claiming it as some personal “hoax” attack against him.

I'm responding to the repeated feeble attempts of arguing that we should accept this facet of Chinese culture and ignore the harm to health it has created in China and the rest of the world on multiple occasions now. I suppose we should accept the African practice of female circumcision too, and other cultural norms because to criticise any would be xenophobic.

Yes, errors have been made elsewhere in containing this, but there is a sense in your post that we should ignore China's errors and put the blame squarely on west, because that is considered acceptable. A health crisis of this scale has never been experienced in our lifetime. Did you predict that the world would be struck down by a contagion of this scale in 2020? I doubt Western governments did, and they weren't the ones to kick it off. Seriously, it's like downplaying an action such as a murder and only criticising the reaction such as a retaliation.

I can be critical of the flaws in the US health system which has allowed this to spread rampant through North America. There's no doubt their numbers are seriously understated. As a result, Australia has been burnt too. But spare me the go easy on China bullshit when recent multiple health concerns have originated due to their practices and cover ups.

Once it explodes and overwhelmes the system it will be too late. And no countries will help us because they got their own s**t to deal with.

The ones ahead of us are telling is now get ready and get as prepared as you can. Do everything you can to slow the spread.
We are doing things. Social distancing, canceling events. People are avoiding pubs and restaurants. Australia is more spread out than many European cities. I can walk around my block and not see a single person. I can't do that in Milan.

As unpalatable as it sounds, there has to be some community spread. That way people can get immunity from the virus whilst just getting a bad flu and, if it is timed correctly, the system doesn't get overwhelmed with patients they can't treat.

If the elderly in particular can do more stringent isolation, as they should be now, we may avoid the things we are seeing in Europe.

Honestly these restrictions by the government are near useless. No one is listening to them. Most of the 2,700 people who came off the cruise ship yesterday were allowed to waltz free onto publication transport. This week will be telling for Australia.
Especially the 4m radius rule. How can you even enforce it?

Now that the limit is 100 for a gathering, what does it mean for the AFL?

Honestly these restrictions by the government are near useless. Public transport is still full. Schools are still open. Beaches are packed. No one is listening to them. Most of the 2,700 people who came off the cruise ship yesterday were allowed to waltz free onto publication transport. This week will be telling for Australia.

The absolute venom from the rest of the world on Twitter regarding photo's of Bondi beach yesterday were incredible.

We are way closer to America (who in my opinion will overtake Italy in as little as a few weeks) than Singapore or Hong Kong.

Especially the 4m radius rule. How can you even enforce it?

Now that the limit is 100 for a gathering, what does it mean for the AFL?

Spot on. Who the hell walks around with a tape measure? Exactly what does it mean for the AFL. It's highly unlikely they will be playing round 2 at this stage.

Hard to argue that AFL games should be called off when stuff like that is still going on, there's more chance of spreading the virus there than at an AFL game played at an empty stadium.
I don't think people being total *******s should play into the AFL's decision either way.
I do think contact sport should be prohibited for the duration. The risks are low, they are also pointless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selfish cretins go on a cruise in the middle of the corona virus and spread the thing around.

any one who has decided to travel for business and leisure in the last 2 weeks are *******s. most have gone purely because they didn't want to take the hit financially. but in the end, they've put more people at risk and expect us to foot the bill to bring them back.

Even at a 0.7% mortality rate, if by an absolute miracle that remains the same when our hospitals are completely overwhelmed.

We have around 1,000 ICU beds in the entire country.

You do the math.

First of all, 99% of active cases in Australia are mild (and not required to set foot in an ICU) at the moment.

Secondly,

The mortality rate has gone down and lower over time since the beginning of the first recorded case in Australia - and this is expected as the lower the active cases were, the more disproportionate the deaths were (and idiots based their "projections" on this).

The more cases we find, and the more vigilant and composed we are while practising proper hygiene, then that trend is likely to lower the mortality % or the active cases will decrease in speed.

You do the math.

I will remember your post by Anzac Day. Expect me.

Honestly these restrictions by the government are near useless. No one is listening to them. Public transport is still full. Schools are still open. Beaches are packed. Most of the 2,700 people who came off the cruise ship yesterday were allowed to waltz free onto publication transport. This week will be telling for Australia.

Rubbish, you go speak to the large majority of service based business owners, foot traffic is dead, cafes and restaurants running with 20-30% of standard revenues. A lot is changing

You do the math.
No chance we reach those numbers

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rubbish, you go speak to the large majority of service based business owners, foot traffic is dead, cafes and restaurants running with 20-30% of standard revenues. A lot is changing

Not where I am. It's like nothing is even happening. Yes some places are slowing down, but did you not see Bondi yesterday?

Honestly these restrictions by the government are near useless. No one is listening to them. Public transport is still full. Schools are still open. Beaches are packed. Most of the 2,700 people who came off the cruise ship yesterday were allowed to waltz free onto publication transport. This week will be telling for Australia.

Add there is still over 30,000 Australians come in from overseas everyday who have been told to self isolate. What a joke our government is.

And that's probably the number of people carrying in corridors in Victoria alone. Will see that number in 2-4 weeks.

You do the math.

So how many are in ICU at the moment? On current factual data we can expect 99.5% of cases to not warrant ICU admission, where does that leave our healthcare system? What % of cases would you like to see to make factual the hypothesis of 10,000 deaths by Anzac Day?

You’re FOS

First of all, 99% of active cases in Australia are mild (and not required to set foot in an ICU) at the moment.

Secondly,

The mortality rate has gone down and lower over time since the beginning of the first recorded case in Australia - and this is expected as the lower the active cases were, the more disproportionate the deaths were (and idiots based their "projections" on this).

The more cases we find, and the more vigilant and composed we are while practising proper hygiene, then that trend is likely to lower the mortality % or the active cases will decrease in speed.

You do the math.

When a good chunk of the mortality was due to residents of a rest home being infected. I can't see that its a meaningful statistic in context with the general population.

We are doing things. Social distancing, canceling events. People are avoiding pubs and restaurants. Australia is more spread out than many European cities. I can walk around my block and not see a single person. I can't do that in Milan.

As unpalatable as it sounds, there has to be some community spread. That way people can get immunity from the virus whilst just getting a bad flu and, if it is timed correctly, the system doesn't get overwhelmed with patients they can't treat.

If the elderly in particular can do more stringent isolation, as they should be now, we may avoid the things we are seeing in Europe.

No community spread is better because then nobody gets it.

Secondly,

The more cases we find, and the more vigilant and composed we are while practising proper hygiene, then that trend is likely to lower the mortality % lower or the active cases will decrease in speed.

You do the math.

Haha, you expect the mortality rate of this disease to suddenly buck the trend with the rest of the world and drop even LOWER than 0.7%?

These are the facts:

20/3/20 - +167 = +23.52%
19/3/20 - +142 = +25.00%
18/3/20 - +116 = +25.83%
17/3/20 - +77 = +20.37%
16/3/20 - +77 = +25.75%
15/3/20 - +49 = +19.60%
14/3/20 - +42 = +20.10%

That's an average of +22.88% at the moment.

We don't have a social lockdown.
We don't have stringent social rules as demonstrated with most of society flaunting them.

You can check back with me next Saturday when we have 4,500 confirmed cases.

Which means around 1,450,000 by Anzac Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back