AFL Match Day stats page is just awful.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I usually don't bother complaining about the AFL website and in 2019 it wasn't great but it was good enough for what I wanted out of it.

However, all that has changed this year as the AFL have designed the stats pages to make it so much harder to digest in a quick and easy to understand way. Last year all the major and important stats for a match could fit on the one computer screen without the need for scrolling, but in 2020 the AFL have introduced this monstrosity

where you have to scroll forever to get from the top to the bottom of the page, and it is impossible to take in all the stats at a glance and sum up what is happening in the game and where your team is going wrong (or what they are doing well).

They also for some completely unknown reason in the AFL player stats put all the players in both teams together, making it harder to see which players in your own team are performing well and which are not.

I can't say enough how much I dislike this stats page that for the first two games of the season I went to footywire and used their stats page which, while not as detailed and does not update itself without refreshing at least gives the viewer a chance to look at all the main stats at the same time.

What does everyone else think about the update to the stats on the AFL website? Does anyone like it, anyone not care or are there more people like me that hate it and wish it was more similar to the 2019 design?

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
The AFL needs to look at a major international sporting leagues (NBA, EPL, ???) and take its cue from there. I assume one of these leagues has got it right because they’ve spent the money and time to get it right.

Yes, it is awful, as is the entire website.

That we're in 2020 and you can't sort by stats is absolutely mind-blowing.

The app is generally very good, but they've completely ****ed up the website and it's embarrassing.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Just checking the ladder at the moment and I see this (highlighted)

Top 8 Go Through To The Finals!

Why do they have to explain this like we are all 4 years old?

Might be picking at nits but it's just another thing to hate about this website.

1584765517832.png

Oh and also, remember that Ladder Predictor feature they took months to get up? Yeah it's gone again.

1584765763676.png

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
You can't sort out stats and you're limited to the stats they choose for you. You can't even sort out the stats by teams! The stats in general and the ladder was customisable to what you wanted to check out, but that is all gone. Also, everything is so enlarged to the point that you can only fit about 3-4 statistics on the screen.

I don't really think I have complained about the previous versions of the website but this one is just inconvenient. They missed the boat with this one.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I can't get it to sort or filter or do anything useful at all.

And they have an app (which is worse than it was), so it's not like it required optimising for mobile use.

Just absolutely dreadful.

Pop up round centre instead of a match bar is just idiotic.

Huge chunks of photos rather than some headlines so you can see multiple stories at once and find the one that interests you.

They've been absolutely taken for a ride by who ever designed the new website.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is absolute trash, to the point where I wonder if this is their intention.

I don't know what they hope to gain from making the site trash, is there some app they are selling which works better?

Either they want this to be trash or the guys (girls?) designing it have never followed footy in their lives.

Yet another reason to sack Gil as far as I'm concerned.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
WHY do they need to follow mindlessly? Sure look & learn.
What they’re doing now is mindless. What I’m suggesting is look at a number of sites that have received positive reviews and see what it is that works, i.e. take their cue from them and then apply it to our league.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I am sure they have meetings where they sit around and discuss how can we infuriate the supporter base most.

Reminds me of that Twelfth Man album where Richie is coaching the Chappells

"Come on Greg. Show me what ya can do"

Greg Chappell voice:

"alAN borDER, austRALIAN capTAIN lookING to pick UP the pace HERE

Richie voice

"Good, very good.....I particularly like the upward in-flexion at the end of every word........you'll be annoying the crap out of the viewers in no time....heh heh"

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I've got one of two theories regarding the AFL website;

The developers were instructed to make it as s**t as possible to entice people to use the Mobile App (pushing subscriptions/monetisation), OR, the developers are indeed the most useless campaigners on the planet.

Even on the stats page - you can't sort stats by a particular metric, and the players are all bunched together. Yet, you can do it all on the app. What ******* BUFFOON thought that would be a good idea?

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
You can't even sort out the stats by teams!

From a long list, this is their worst mistake, imo.

As someone OS who often listens online and follows the website, the online experience is nothing short of diabolical.

So typically AFL.

Back