Preview Round 2: Changes vs Hawks + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who are pushing hard for Serong and Young to enter the team will regret it if they get their way. Particularly Young.

They weren't playing full gametime in Marsh, and Young is coming off "load management." Until they can get through a whole game there's no point putting them in. And if their bodies aren't ready than they'll either lose confidence or sustain long-lasting injuries.

We want these kids as future premiership heroes, not Jack Watts style cautionary tales for future rebuilds.

People who are pushing hard for Serong and Young to enter the team will regret it if they get their way. Particularly Young.

They weren't playing full gametime in Marsh, and Young is coming off "load management." Until they can get through a whole game there's no point putting them in. And if their bodies aren't ready than they'll either lose confidence or sustain long-lasting injuries.

We want these kids as future premiership heroes, not Jack Watts style cautionary tales for future rebuilds.
As I mentioned earlier, Bailey Smith has been playing seniors in the midfield from day one at the Bullies. So has Dow etc etc. Why does it take so long at Freo. They need some time to build a tank, we know that, but they should be given a chance as soon as possible. We are not going for a premiership this year, so this year is the best time. I would prefer to have a look at North and Watson, first though.

As I mentioned earlier, Bailey Smith has been playing seniors in the midfield from day one at the Bullies. So has Dow etc etc. Why does it take so long at Freo. They need some time to build a tank, we know that, but they should be given a chance as soon as possible. We are not going for a premiership this year, so this year is the best time. I would prefer to have a look at North and Watson, first though.

I'm not across Smith.

Dow I agree with Mongrel Punt on. I'd have taken Liam Baker in my team on Thursday night over Dow, who just looked like he's been gifted a spot. If you want a player who's a testament to throwing players in the deep-end I wouldn't use him, and I wouldn't take Carlton as a good example to emulate. Wasn't it something like 7 touches and goal assist in 73% gametime, along with a 50m penalty conceded?

That’s it for me. Unless Crowden is quick, he’s just another inside midfielder albeit short. Can kick and tackle but we have too many of those types.
Schulz doesn’t offer anything other then a leading forward. We need more then that, Matera is that. Walters, Sturt and Matera should be the combo to work around Tabs/Lobb.
The ****? Did you watch the game? Skill in the midfield is one of our biggest problems.

I am all for playing our kids but Dow is a terrible example for your argument. Not only is he currently a massive spud, but he also doesn't play midfield anymore because he sucks in there.

Smith is just a better prospect than most 1st and 2nd year players. That's why he looks better, he is.

We were bullied by Essendon throughout the match - they were louder and tougher than us. It’s a shame and I expected more from our leaders.

I wouldn’t be making too many changes - maybe bring in Serong to give us a bit of grunt (bit sad that we need it from a first gamer). Either Banfield or Crowden out IMO. My preference would be Colyer but at least he got the ball and looked dangerous at times.

When we can replace Banfield, Taberner, Schulz, Crowden and Colyer - we will be so much better. They are good foot soldiers but don’t have enough class (and unfortunately just cost the side too often). Tabs especially- it’s great that he works hard into positions and takes grabs but it’s literally pointless if he can’t kick (pardon the pun).

I’d shift Hayden young into HBF, release Aish into the guts.

Move Banfield to left right out and slot Mcarthy into the HFF spot Banfield was occupying.

Shulz dropped for Matera. Without Peel playing there is no second chances - non performers are on notice.
Pearce in for Duman or Cox if fit enough

Tabs to get a rocket and a labotomy

Tucker to wing as McCarthy’s replacement, Aish takes his midfield minutes

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d shift Hayden young into HBF, release Aish into the guts.

Move Banfield to left right out and slot Mcarthy into the HFF spot Banfield was occupying.

Shulz dropped for Matera. Without Peel playing there is no second chances - non performers are on notice.
Pearce in for Duman or Cox if fit enough

Tabs to get a rocket and a labotomy

Tucker to wing as McCarthy’s replacement, Aish takes his midfield minutes

Tabs kicks straight and he has 3. Would be praising him. Townsend had 9 disposals but has a great simple kicking action and bagged 3.
Taberner obviously have had little help with his goal kicking. Freo tends to ignore that aspect. Be nice to have a WAFL legend or Pavlich to come down and give a few tips.

Tippa seemed to run -a- muck when he went into the centre square. McGrath was way to quick in the mind.

Brayshaw v McGrath HTH was embarrassing for our boy on occasions

I'm not across Smith.

Dow I agree with Mongrel Punt on. I'd have taken Liam Baker in my team on Thursday night over Dow, who just looked like he's been gifted a spot. If you want a player who's a testament to throwing players in the deep-end I wouldn't use him, and I wouldn't take Carlton as a good example to emulate. Wasn't it something like 7 touches and goal assist in 73% gametime, along with a 50m penalty conceded?
True about Dow (you and jaeo)
The point is, most high draft pick mids are playing midfield (for at least part of the game) right from day one. Our guys seem to take forever. Even a good team like GWS played Toranto straight away and he became a top midfielder quite quickly in his career. We either baby them too much, draft poorly or don't develop them properly. I have no idea which. If you go by other teams, it looks like the first. I don't want to see them hurt but I think we could expose them a little more than we do.. Most of the high draft picks have been honed for the top level before they even get drafted these days.
Having said all that, it should't be necessary for Serong to be played early in the season but for some reason it looks like we maybe should.

We were bullied by Essendon throughout the match - they were louder and tougher than us. It’s a shame and I expected more from our leaders.

I wouldn’t be making too many changes - maybe bring in Serong to give us a bit of grunt (bit sad that we need it from a first gamer). Either Banfield or Crowden out IMO. My preference would be Colyer but at least he got the ball and looked dangerous at times.

When we can replace Banfield, Taberner, Schulz, Crowden and Colyer - we will be so much better. They are good foot soldiers but don’t have enough class (and unfortunately just cost the side too often). Tabs especially- it’s great that he works hard into positions and takes grabs but it’s literally pointless if he can’t kick (pardon the pun).

I have to say, for the first time today i'm pretty much convinced Tabs will never make it. He's always had this uncanny ability to get clean hands to the ball in marking contests but then he just won't hold onto it. I've had this hope that eventually, after hours a day of assistant coaches bombing balls to him in training, that the catching bit would come. But it just hasn't, and if it hasn't by now it's hard to see it ever coming.

Even that last play with 10 seconds to go, he got hands to the ball but it wouldn't stick. It would have been a sensational mark if he could have pulled it down, but he just didn't quite have it. It's the story of his career.

Tabs kicks straight and he has 3. Would be praising him. Townsend had 9 disposals but has a great simple kicking action and bagged 3.
Taberner obviously have had little help with his goal kicking. Freo tends to ignore that aspect. Be nice to have a WAFL legend or Pavlich to come down and give a few tips.

But he didn’t kick straight... and his kicks weren’t under pressure nor were they difficult kicks.
Defend him all you like,but tabs is not a footballer - and he’s had years in the system (with plenty of help) to fix his kicking.

He’s an athlete that can mark ok due to his size, and that’s about where it ends.

I’ve defended him and put up with him for too long, today just solidified his shitfullness.
To be blunt, I’m over him and his momentum killing ineptitude as a forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say, for the first time today i'm pretty much convinced Tabs will never make it. He's always had this uncanny ability to get clean hands to the ball in marking contests but then he just won't hold onto it. I've had this hope that eventually, after hours a day of assistant coaches bombing balls to him in training, that the catching bit would come. But it just hasn't, and if it hasn't by now it's hard to see it ever coming.

Even that last play with 10 seconds to go, he got hands to the ball but it wouldn't stick. It would have been a sensational mark if he could have pulled it down, but he just didn't quite have it. It's the story of his career.

Short memory, Tabs was killing it with contested marks last year (before being injured). Contested marking isn't his problem it is decision making, he tends to play like a headless chook.

But he didn’t kick straight... and his kicks weren’t under pressure nor were they difficult kicks.
Defend him all you like,but tabs is not a footballer - and he’s had years in the system (with plenty of help) to fix his kicking.

He’s an athlete that can mark ok due to his size, and that’s about where it ends.

I’ve defended him and put up with him for too long, today just solidified his shitfullness.
To be blunt, I’m over him and his momentum killing ineptitude as a forward

Fair enough. Thought he was alright, his kicks were poor indeed. Lots of others were about the same. Not the worst from Tabs though. Brayshaw was pretty awful. Add McCarthy in the forward line with Tabs and Sturt and it’ll work better.

Hi All - can I ask that we tone the language down? Like many here, there are players I think won't be successful and players that I do. Feel free to talk about why you think one way or the other but calling any of them S__t or c__p is just not warranted and disrepectful.

Short memory, Tabs was killing it with contested marks last year (before being injured). Contested marking isn't his problem it is decision making, he tends to play like a headless chook.
That’s why Jlo has him FF predominantly, didn’t go up the ground as much. Won’t need to have to make much decisions other then mark the ball and kick for goal.

I think we look better with Lobb as ruck, so id like to see dixon in for darcy, serong for crowden and matera for Banfield, hopefully in next 2/3 weeks henry and young get into the team so we can start building for the future

I think we look better with Lobb as ruck, so id like to see dixon in for darcy, serong for crowden and matera for Banfield, hopefully in next 2/3 weeks henry and young get into the team so we can start building for the future
Like your thinking, but Dixon is a long way off tbh. Matera and McCarthy back in the forward. Feel Darcy needs as many games as he can, get his body right and experience. Lobb can’t keep it up full time, need to persevere for long term, his body will be batted around if he does.

Hi All - can I ask that we tone the language down? Like many here, there are players I think won't be successful and players that I do. Feel free to talk about why you think one way or the other but calling any of them S__t or c__p is just not warranted and disrepectful.

Agreed gotta love how lounge chair supporters slag off AFL players when they havea bad game. These same people who would be overly nice if they met then face to face.

I can recall one poster saying how useless Banfield is etc etc today and yet he wasn't our worst. He also tried his heart out. He does need to improve his skills but so does half the afl.

Like your thinking, but Dixon is a long way off tbh. Matera and McCarthy back in the forward. Feel Darcy needs as many games as he can, get his body right and experience. Lobb can’t keep it up full time, need to persevere for long term, his body will be batted around if he does.
Yeah i agree dixon is a long way back but give it a go, his in his 3rd seasons so gotta start showing his worth a spot on the list, would honestly love to see butters given a shot soon, has that X factor our forward line and whole list lacks honesty

Agreed gotta love how lounge chair supporters slag off AFL players when they havea bad game. These same people who would be overly nice if they met then face to face.

I can recall one poster saying how useless Banfield is etc etc today and yet he wasn't our worst. He also tried his heart out. He does need to improve his skills but so does half the afl.
Depends on who Essendon's half back flankers were running off. That's why he was selected

Serong for Banfield.
Blakely for Crowden

I’d go with below, as I don’t think those injured are available.

Conca. Logue. Duman.
Cerra. Cox. Ryan.
Bewley. Fyfe. Aish.
Walters. Lobb. McCarthy.
Shultz. Tabs. Sturt.

Darcy. Tucker. Brayshaw.

Blakely. Hughes. Serong. Colyer.

Why
Serong for Banfield.
Blakely for Crowden

I’d go with below, as I don’t think those injured are available.

Conca. Logue. Duman.
Cerra. Cox. Ryan.
Bewley. Fyfe. Aish.
Walters. Lobb. McCarthy.
Shultz. Tabs. Sturt.

Darcy. Tucker. Brayshaw.

Blakely. Hughes. Serong. Colyer.
I'd put Hughes in the 18.

Yeah i agree dixon is a long way back but give it a go, his in his 3rd seasons so gotta start showing his worth a spot on the list, would honestly love to see butters given a shot soon, has that X factor our forward line and whole list lacks honesty
If you want to play Dixon it would surely have to be at the expense of Taberner not Darcy.

I would have Lobb as 1st ruck, but still give Darcy 40% of time in the ruck and then let him play deep forward the rest of the time.

Darcy is a much better ruck than Tabs and I doubt we loose too much (if anything) in actual forward production from a Darcy+Dixon partnership compared to Tabs+Dixon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back