AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as Trend got pinged for the holding the ball after the sling (from Benucci??) I knew we were up against it all afternoon. I didn't really take notice of the commentary (never do as i'm too focused on the game) though, but i'm sure when I watch the replay mid week i'll understand what everyones talking about.

My heart was racing in the final minute and shaking when Collingwood was raiding our backline. When Jassy took that game saving mark in the dying seconds I jumped up from the couch and ran around the room.

Sensational stuff to hold on like that in the final minute. Brilliant win Kanga girls. Couldn't be prouder of our girls today. We're into a prelim!!! Embrace it everyone.

Last edited:

NORTH COACH: CROWNING AFLW PREMIER A ‘PRIORITY’
Getting an AFL Women’s premier is important to the burgeoning competition – no matter how it happens, North Melbourne coach Scott Gowans believes.

The league rushed forward its finals series to begin this weekend, banishing the two final home and away rounds in an attempt to end the competition before the effects of coronavirus and efforts to curb its spread take further hold. As it stands, another fortnight of competition remains with the grand final currently set for April 4 or 5, but Gowans said he would be willing to cram games in and said he believed crowning a premier should be a priority.

“I think so. I wouldn’t be a fan of stopping it now and then coming back in say, October,” he said. “But if it had to, it had to. “My preference would be even if we didn’t get another game, if they somehow came up with a premier based on the results from this weekend. Whatever it is, it is. But I think my preference would be to finish it – however it finishes – from now. “If we get the next two weeks in, great, that’s fantastic. But if not, I’ll support whatever decision they come up with.”

He said North Melbourne – which defeated Collingwood by two points in Saturday’s semi-final at Ikon Park - hadn’t discussed the physical element of rushing the preliminary final or grand final ahead of time, but said clubs were resigned to “make the best of it”.

“From a high performance perspective, that’d be the only one that I think they’d probably say you’d need a certain number of days (between games),” he said. “But again, we have our main sessions on Wednesdays, so I would imagine by Wednesday, you’re ready to go again. It is what it is. “These times are really tough for everybody, and I just think the AFL are doing the best they possibly can in a really difficult situation. It’s frustrating from an admin point of view, for everyone. “But we’re all in the same boat. The pleasing thing was, I know in a few conversations with people in clubs that are at other clubs … you’ve just got to run with it. You’ve got to accept it and make the best of it.”

He said his team could only take the current crisis “moment by moment”. “We’ll find out if we’re training Monday night and if there is a game next week,” Gowans said. “It’s one of those situations where you’ve just got to see what happens and be guided by the people in the right places.”

It had all the hallmarks of a boilover, but it was North Melbourne that withstood the pressure cooker to secure a preliminary finals berth. Days after mourning a finals spot that they initially believed had evaded them, Collingwood almost toppled the flag favourites in a heart-stopping semi-final at Ikon Park.

Young gun Chloe Molloy had a shot at goal with 90 seconds remaining to put Collingwood in front but hooked it right, with Roos star Jasmine Garner holding firm to mark in defence with just seconds remaining to secure the two-point victory.

“Collingwood were sensational, their pressure was absolutely outstanding,” star Roo Ash Riddell said on Channel 7. “Credit to them. They pushed us right to the end. “In the second half, we got a little bit more balance … I think that helps a lot, getting a few more clearances.”

Collingwood’s big names did everything they could to wrest momentum from North Melbourne in an epic third quarter – Sharni Layton in the ruck, Britt Bonnici and Steph Chiocci in the middle.

ROOS ON THE HOP
They’ve been the flag favourites all season and showed exactly why as they withstood the Collingwood onslaught to progress. Skipper Emma Kearney starred and was again ably assisted by Ash Riddell, who notched 22 disposals, six tackles and five clearances, while Jasmine Garner proved the match-saver. Kearney, who played in the Western Bulldogs’ 2018 premiership, said the team “won’t need to change too much”.

“It’s quite bizarre (circumstances) really,” she said on 7. “Super proud with the way we came out in the second half. Credit to Collingwood they were outstanding all day. We just had to grind that one out. Move on to next week. “We’ll review our game and focus on what we can control. I think the girls have been playing some excellent footy so far. I won’t need to change things too much. I think it’s just about enjoying the footy and that’s when we play our best footy.”

NO CROWD, NO WORRIES
Ikon Park and its surrounds were a ghost town as social distancing reigned supreme on a day that would have normally seen thousands out in force. But that didn’t worry the Pies.

Supporters had embarked on a stealth mission to hang signage of support for the team, which may have had the advantage of having played before an empty house last week, too. But it didn’t mean things were quiet. Both teams were in full voice, while club officials were rampant in their support from the benches.

There’ll be no crowds for the remainder of the AFL Women’s season at this stage, meaning it will be a far more low-key decider in a fortnight if things continue, meaning the support on hand will become more important than ever.

SCOREBOARD

NORTH MELBOURNE
1.1 2.3 4.4 5.4 (34)
d
COLLINGWOOD 1.0 4.1 4.1 5.2 (32)

GOALS
Kangaroos: Bateman, Ashmore, Wright, Gavalas, Abbatangelo
Magpies: Membrey 2, Cann, Molloy, D’Arcy

LAUREN WOOD’S BEST
Kangaroos: Kearney, Riddell, Garner, Ashmore, Bruton, Gavalas
Magpies: Bonnici, Molloy, Chiocci, Layton, Lambert, Davey

LAUREN WOOD’S VOTES
3 — Emma Kearney
2 — Ash Riddell
1 — Brittany Bonnici

INJURIES
Kangaroos: Nil
Magpies: Nil

Reports: Nil

I thought for sure they were getting an arsey goal out the back there.

Jassy Garner the only player in our side, probably the comp, to go for, and hold, the mark, from three deep in that situation, and the instinctive game sense to immediatley go back and set up the time killing chain.

Our bloke's team doesn't have anyone of that class. Hence why our blokes team hasn't played or won a final in years.

Elisha King in
Trend out
Love to see Elisha back, I do think we are missing some speed and pressure across in forward half, but I'm not sure she will be right in time. I think they were saying she could be available for the Prelim at best before the season was shortened.

What a nail biter. Terrific stuff by the girls to hold on in those last couple of minutes. Jassy Garner is a ripper as is Ash Riddell.

No doubt the game turned when the idiot umpires pinged Jess Trend for an illegal disposal, when it should have been the other way for a sling tackle. How is it that with 3 umpires out there they missed that one? Unbelievable.

I think the game turned again in the third quarter when Emma King went into the ruck and started to take control. I suspect that she is carrying a knee injury, which does not allow her to ruck for most of the game. However by resting at full forward she is a dangerous player and means the opposition have a lot more to contend with.

Back to the umpires. They are a disgrace. 8 to 1 at quarter time. I don't know what it ended up but they sure as hell did our girls no favours. Thank goodness we won despite their best efforts.

As for no crowd, as far as I am concerned it is not an issue. I felt it was unusual on Thursday night, didn't watch last nights game and it was not a focus for me today. All I wanted was to see our girls get the chocolates, so very happy days. I also watched the last bit of the Giants V Dees and *essendon V Freo and just the same. My overwhelming sense from these three close games is that, how good is footy. Let's hope it continues though I fear it wont.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
As soon as Trend got pinged for the holding the ball after the sling (from Benucci??) I knew we were up against it all afternoon. I didn't really take notice of the commentary (never do as i'm too focused on the game) though, but i'm sure when I watch the replay mid week i'll understand what everyones talking about.

My heart was racing in the final minute and shaking when Collingwood was raiding our backline. When Jassy took that game saving mark in the dying seconds I jumped up from the couch and ran around the room.

Sensational stuff to hold on like that in the final minute. Brilliant win Kanga girls. Couldn't be prouder of our girls today. We're into a prelim!!! Embrace it everyone.
I know, right? How good is it that we get to watch this women's team represent our club? It's almost like real footy.

So glad they've ridden on the coattails of the men's competition, without which we wouldn't have this privilege. ;)

I would seriously look at isolating all winning teams and the footy department in hotels or somewhere secure and try and get the prelims played mid week with the granny next weekend.

Jul 6, 2006
Hong Kong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good teams win, even when they are off their game. We had a few players off today, Collingwood did a good job shutting down Gilroy's run from defense, pressuring our mids and limiting the supply at times. Their ruck dominated the centre. We missed a few chances early which could have broken the Pies. Thought Grierson was terrific in defense and gave us some much needed drive. Wright and Randall were pretty composed back there too. Loved Gavalas, Riddell, Bruton and the Cap just fighting hard all day but also hitting targets with silky skills. Gillespie Jones worked her butt off at CHF and Ruck, two of the hardest positions on the ground. Great goal from Abba on the boundary.

Gibson looks dangerous in the forward half. She's pretty agile and strong too. I wouldn't mind putting her in the middle for a five minute burst once a half. Her hands are so good.

Saad looks better playing up forward or chopping out in the ruck against slightly shorter rucks. Despite being towelled up in the first she came on and nearly pinched a few goals from the ruck contests.

I love Trend's enthusiasm but she just gets caught a bit too often. Needs to take the first option or be a bit more aware of what is happening around her.

Bateman and Mia King were both limping at various times so I wonder if that impacted our last quarter as they can both go for a quick burst through the middle.

Bannister was named s an emergency so I guess she has recovered from her injury in game 1 and might be a sneaky chance if someone pulls up sore.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ordinarily I don't get into this commentators/umpires hate us bit.

That's out the ******* window. What the fu** was that s**t? Oh the POOR DOWNTRODDEN PIES. ******* SPARE ME. I don't give a s**t how much you hate us Peta Searle, fu** off. Georgie Parker? Who even are you? UP THE KANGAS! NMFC v THE WORLD
That was ******* pathetic. Imagine commentators carrying on like that when that when the threepeat Hawks had knocked a team out of finals.

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That was ******* pathetic. Imagine commentators carrying on like that when that when the threepeat Hawks had knocked a team out of finals.

Hahaha was so good when Georgie (whoever she is) was saying "AWW THE PIES ON THE BENCH LOOK SO MUCH MORE UP AND ABOUT THAN NORF AWWWW YEAH CARN YOU PIES" then we at last got into third gear, did enough and held on.

Also still trying to work out wtf that free against Riddell was for

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good teams win, even when they are off their game. We had a few players off today, Collingwood did a good job shutting down Gilroy's run from defense, pressuring our mids and limiting the supply at times. Their ruck dominated the centre. We missed a few chances early which could have broken the Pies. Thought Grierson was terrific in defense and gave us some much needed drive. Wright and Randall were pretty composed back there too. Loved Gavalas, Riddell, Bruton and the Cap just fighting hard all day but also hitting targets with silky skills. Gillespie Jones worked her butt off at CHF and Ruck, two of the hardest positions on the ground. Great goal from Abba on the boundary.

Gibson looks dangerous in the forward half. She's pretty agile and strong too. I wouldn't mind putting her in the middle for a five minute burst once a half. Her hands are so good.

Saad looks better playing up forward or chopping out in the ruck against slightly shorter rucks. Despite being towelled up in the first she came on and nearly pinched a few goals from the ruck contests.

I love Trend's enthusiasm but she just gets caught a bit too often. Needs to take the first option or be a bit more aware of what is happening around her.

Bateman and Mia King were both limping at various times so I wonder if that impacted our last quarter as they can both go for a quick burst through the middle.

Bannister was named s an emergency so I guess she has recovered from her injury in game 1 and might be a sneaky chance if someone pulls up sore.

I thought Bateman was going to have to be ruled out of the game, then she came back on to lay a crucial tackle. Loved it.

Saad came in for a bit of stick on here for getting caught (again) holding the ball in the goal square. However, credit where it’s due, she was immense in the crucial third quarter when she rucked for a while and delivered some great second and third efforts. Overall, it wasn’t exactly her day but she did contribute at the most important time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I get the distinct impression that we as a supporter group don’t really take to Emma Kearney. However, she’s clearly the Boomer Harvey of our AFLW team. I reckon she deserves more love around here.

I love Emma K. Lippy, takes zero s**t, got great pace over the first 5-10m and is a genuine leader. She's a star!

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I get the distinct impression that we as a supporter group don’t really take to Emma Kearney. However, she’s clearly the Boomer Harvey of our AFLW team. I reckon she deserves more love around here.

Perhaps she's just a victim of just how good and consistent she is? Just so solid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back