Preview AFL R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Metricon 6:25pm 21 Mar 2020

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm not going to say we need to let go of Dew after 1 game of 2020.

But if we get about 5 games into the season (if we even play that many) and we are still playing like this, then serious questions need to be raised.

Write it off as an awful night and move on.
I agree - but the fact the club is talking up his contract as a formality immediately needs to be put on ice.

when they crossed to him at 3/4 time he didn’t even know that 3 port players were injured?!? Meanwhile Clarko is at an opposition game today taking notes.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
What do people expect, suddenly from wooden spoon to premiership team?

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Been mentioned in a few posts above but the lack of cohesion playing against a more experienced team who have been playing together for years was so obvious tonight. Just need to get a settled side in and keep persisting. There is no quick fix. Expecting to finish on the bottom of the ladder this year again no matter how long the season is. Actually a season cut short might allow us a 12 month preseason which is probably what the team needs to get bigger, stronger and gel better.

Oh and they need a rocket up them after that performance.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
No But I expect effort, a plan, a sign of skills.

Dont care if we come last, but just because we’re spooners doesn’t mean we should accept that standard of football.
I get you, but this a a big reset, just like when GWS started, they lost by 100 point more time than Gold Coast but once they gel together they click. I don't think they lack effort but they don't know each other move yet. Collins also played with Ballard, hombsh last year now with Lukosius and Graham, Bowes and florini is totally different. Dew don't have a proper team, every time when thing going OK, some players just broke down (Collins, hombsh last year, Ballard this year) .

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Sexton would not have helped us today at all. We need to actually get it forward for him to impact the game. Rarely does he venture beyond 80 meters from goal.

Onus on this is on the mids. Strange choices to run through there all the time. Are we bleeding youngsters? Is this what we should expect more of? If it is tell us now so we know what to expect coming into games. Brodie barely has any experience playing fulltime mid at AFL level, and Rowell hasn't played against men at all. Touk battles hard, but he's also undersized. Throw Weller in there too and suddenly we look very small. Rocky and Boak just toyed with them. Only when Holman came in did Boak slow down. Greenwood helped and did his part. Surely we need someone more experienced in there with guys like Rowell and Brodie to help them out.

Collins and Budarick looked good down back. Those are the only two who I would say 'won' against their opponents. I thought Joyce actually looked okay tonight, but he was on a slippery slope. Probably the worst game I've seen Luko play. Looked completely void of all confidence. I'm sure he's trying his guts out but his laconic style is grating. I like Bowes down back still - he is such a special player that he can adapt to play anywhere. I don't like Fiorini there. Looking at it, we had (most of the time) Luko, Collins, Graham Bowes, Fiorini, Budarick and Joyce. IMO that's two mids, one first-gamer, one mature-age player, two second year players (one at 6 games) and Joyce who has played 50-60 games. Did we go too young there? Harbrow back will help, but this is likely Harbs' last year. We can't rely on poor ol' Harbs to get us out of trouble anymore. Rory and/or Hombsch will help maybe.

Swallow battled hard and impacted as best he could, but clearly got frustrated at the end. If I were him I'd be frustrated at being stuck in the forward 50 while watching the oppo clear it out of the centre bounce with ease. I'm still surprised at the usage of Darce. Maybe we're trying to save these guys so we can play them more mid in the future this season? That's the only reason I can think of. Instead of just running them into the ground.

Anderson looked cooked after half time. Rowell a bit less so, but he's not used as much on the spread. Really need to temper our expectations of these guys. Even Jaeger took a game or two to get going. For these two it's just about getting their hands on the footy. Both of them did that.

Lach Weller hit or miss. He just looks so good with ball in hand, and then sometimes fires off this handball that goes straight to the opposition. If he hit his targets he would be one of the prime mids in the game.

Ellis about to learn what it's like to be a Sun. He signed up for five years of this. Didn't see much of him.

Greenwood did about as much as could be expected from someone of his skillset. At least he got a couple of key clearances against the flow of it all.

Ainsworth and King looked good forward, but it must be so hard for them on a night like tonight. I only really noticed Lemmens very late. I didn't notice Holman at all until he moved into the midfield. Day tried, but I think it's clear to all that this is the guy we have now. As a CHF I would rather 2MP. Better in the ruck and at least he doesn't drop chest marks.

We seemed to really struggle with the conditions, when a few weeks ago against the Cats we handled them beautifully. Combined with the lack of cohesion and communication, just very strange.

Last edited:

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I get you, but this a a big reset, just like when GWS started, they lost by 100 point more time than Gold Coast but once they gel together they click. I don't think they lack effort but they don't know each other move yet. Collins also played with Ballard, hombsh last year now with Lukosius and Graham, Bowes and florini is totally different. Dew don't have a proper team, every time when thing going OK, some players just broke down.
I get What you’re saying but wasn’t the reset 3 years ago?

if cohesion was important why play 3 rookies, have Bowes and fiorini on half back and weller in the middle?

Port Adelaide aren’t even a good team - looking at 100 point flogging from Richmond etc if the season gets that far.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Very bad game from Suns. Got absolutely smashed in the middle. The rest just followed from it. Very young team 23 years 2 months vs 25 years 10 months. It showed. Let's see how we go after 4-5 games if we get there with some experienced guys back.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not going to say we need to let go of Dew after 1 game of 2020.

But if we get about 5 games into the season (if we even play that many) and we are still playing like this, then serious questions need to be raised.

Write it off as an awful night and move on.
I often wonder how differently you guys might have gone had Hinkley agreed to coach you guys 2018 onward. I believe he is magical with a young squad (and Dew would have worked wonders at Port too).

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I get What you’re saying but wasn’t the reset 3 years ago?

if cohesion was important why play 3 rookies, have Bowes and fiorini on half back and weller in the middle?

Port Adelaide aren’t even a good team - looking at 100 point flogging from Richmond etc if the season gets that far.
Well Hanley and Harbrow not going to be here forever, Hombsh and Thompson had Interuppted pre season. FLORINI and Holman only played one Mash series. who else? Dawson, murduch , Heron, GHs, Schoefield, Burgess, Corbett, Peter Wright ? Rankine and Powell not available because of injuries. Jack martin and Ah chee said goodbye.

I don't think its reason to panic yet. I don't think they were ready for on the onslaught that Port came out with. I DO genuinely believe they'll improve this year. Just wasn't in one game.
They did get smashed in the middle, which is one thing they need to address. I think the likes of Bowes and Fiorini stuck in the backline don't help, so I hope when some experienced defenders come back, it'll help that rotation.

eighties

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Id play burgess over Fiorini if they are going to persist with him off half back... just as quick , better mark , bit taller more penetrating kick.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Id play burgess over Fiorini if they are going to persist with him off half back... just as quick , better mark , bit taller more penetrating kick.
I love Dew but I think Corbett, burgess and Mclennan are in his blacklist.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The most disappointing thing for me after that performance, is our percentage......38.2%

Definitely not what I was expecting this year....watching the game from afar, it was just like 2018-9 all over again....

And as as I did on a few occasions over the last couple of years, I turned todays game off before the finish, and it's only Rd 1.

But I guess if we're that low after 1 game, the only way is :arrowup: UP.....

Back