Preview Round 2: Changes vs Hawks + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to consider the possibility that the game has passed a ruckman like Darcy and we may need a ruckman with greater mobility.
Thank goodness we don't make list management or selection decisions on Big Footy. I know htis is radical, but I'm going to believe the people who actually work with him on a day to day basis. He had a poor game, the game has not "passed him" at 21 years of age. s**t, at his age Dean Cox could barely complete a lap of the oval.

1584842238952.png

1584842261952.png

Attachments

• 1584842194061.png
    1584842194061.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 227
All I'm saying is that our missed targets weren't usually from taking risky options that didn't come off. It woulds be good if it was. We missed simple kicks, under no pressure to open players by miles.
I have re-watched the game and there were maybe 2 or 3 that matched your criteria in 100 minutes of footy - if you said we missed some simple kicks under no pressure I could agree. Pressure can be as much mental as physical - they are trying to make changes to what is familiar, of course there will be glitches.

Thank goodness we don't make list management or selection decisions on Big Footy. I know htis is radical, but I'm going to believe the people who actually work with him on a day to day basis. He had a poor game, the game has not "passed him" at 21 years of age. s**t, at his age Dean Cox could barely complete a lap of the oval.

View attachment 844679

View attachment 844680
Time will tell whether he will ever do enough around the ground, in the modern game, to be a first ruck at the level.We all know he is a clever tap ruck. I see no reason that someone like Meek shouldn't be given an equal opportunity to stake a claim, if capable. May the best man win. I want Lobb spending the majority of his time as a forward, so whoever makes that happen, should be given the ruck spot.

No he doesn't. A loose man in 20 meters of space that is missed by a kicker, is kicking skill or lack of it, not structure.
Based on your many years of experience no doubt? Anyway, I'll leave you to it, go ahead and bag them out to your heart's content. You wanted a new coach and with that will come a learning curve and some pain. Suck it up.

I reckon there will be 6-7 changes as we won’t be playing for a few months at least by the sound of it.
Unless there is a massive change in circumstances.

I'm wondering whether 8-10 possessions from Hugh Dixon is better than what Tab offers.
He's deflating with his dropped marks and he kicks the ball like its a square box.
Interesting question. He played one game late last year iirc and he looked ok. Maybe it's time to give him an extended go. We need a little more certainty that a set shot will likely result in a goal

Have we ever had a more polarising player than Tabs?
Probably Darcy now. Definitely became polarising this round.
People jumping the boat here. Sandi was trash first 5 years. Couldn’t mark, slow. Definitely take a Darcy and Lobb into games rather then Lobb breaking down then have Tabs ruck full time.
Meek has barely played WAFL level, spent most games for the reserves. Suddenly he’s ready for AFL? Not a chance.
Look at Bulldogs playing Tim English. Darcy is clearly better and was 20 picks after him.

View attachment 844679

View attachment 844680
Totally agree.

Darcy is miles ahead of other 21 year old years.

Is he ready to play number one ruck for a season? Probably not but in the next two years he will go to beast mode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People jumping the boat here. Sandi was trash first 5 years. Couldn’t mark, slow. Definitely take a Darcy and Lobb into games rather then Lobb breaking down then have Tabs ruck full time.
Meek has barely played WAFL level, spent most games for the reserves. Suddenly he’s ready for AFL? Not a chance.
Look at Bulldogs playing Tim English. Darcy is clearly better and was 20 picks after him.
Meek was playing reserves so he could play the whole game in the ruck. He was playing good footy in the League side for a while until he got injured. He hasn't been back from injury long enough to be considered yet, I wouldn't think but long term he should be given equal consideration if he performs well . I see no reason for the club to be myopic with our number one ruck spot. Why not keep our options open and go from there?

I'm wondering whether 8-10 possessions from Hugh Dixon is better than what Tab offers.
He's deflating with his dropped marks and he kicks the ball like its a square box.

It’s a good call. Would give the ruck a cut out too thus allowing Lobb to stay forward more.

If a Darcy for English trade was on the table I would graciously count my losses, reluctantly accept the hand of Fate, then start the car!!!

Welcome to the longest pre-match discussion thread in Freo board history (assuming the AFL don't get a travel exemption).

No point leaving out any of the younger mid brigade, especially since Tucker and Brayshaw got going in the last quarter. If this season is truly about developing under Longmuir, we need to give them games. I think the changes come from the periphery i.e. Serong for Crowden (sorry Joao) or Banfield.

Also don't mind the call for Tabs out and the milky wizard in tbh, Dixon has shown some glimpses of serious natural talent that could easily eclipse Tabs, as hard as the latter works. I really respect Taberner for even getting his career to this point, but when you hit your mid 20s potential simply doesn't cut it anymore. We've seen ineffective games like these too many times for someone with the physical attributes to contribute far more.

Welcome to the longest pre-match discussion thread in Freo board history (assuming the AFL don't get a travel exemption).

No point leaving out any of the younger mid brigade, especially since Tucker and Brayshaw got going in the last quarter. If this season is truly about developing under Longmuir, we need to give them games. I think the changes come from the periphery i.e. Serong for Crowden (sorry Joao) or Banfield.

Also don't mind the call for Tabs out and the milky wizard in tbh, Dixon has shown some glimpses of serious natural talent that could easily eclipse Tabs, as hard as the latter works. I really respect Taberner for even getting his career to this point, but when you hit your mid 20s potential simply doesn't cut it anymore. We've seen ineffective games like these too many times for someone with the physical attributes to contribute far more.
That appears to be a very intelligent post. :thumbsu:

If the game goes ahead... edit - OK. Just go the news, so change that to If the game HAD gone ahead.

A little bit will depend on how Mundy goes through the week, but if he ticks all the boxes i'd say he comes in as a mid/for. Might want to hold him back another week anyway and play the long game. No-point risking him in Round 2 unless he is cherry ripe.

I fear we have seen the last of Stephen Hill. In full-flight there was nobody who looked quite as smooth in purple...ever.

You'd have to consider Matera and Blakely who are just on the outer but still in the possibles.

I can understand people not all that happy with Darcy's game (interestingly had a DE 100%), but can't understand the pile-on. Boy, there are going to be some red faces around when he hits 25-26 years old. The kids a beast.

Would be nice to see Serong get a crack (in front of the home non-crowd). Might be a tad early though.

Schultz, i'd give another couple of games and see if he can adjust. Re-assess about round 5-6. Not good early signs though. Really hope the kid can play like he did Marsh 1. Just bloody go for it son!!!

Taberner gets another game - who else is there? If we had someone better he'd be playing, but we still need someone to kick it to so we default back to Tabs. (Anyone heard from Jesse?? SOS Jesse!!! WE NEED YOU)

Taylin Duman... sigh. I'm beginning to think he's really just a skinny country footballer with no footy brain running around in an AFL jumper.

Cam McCarthy isn't a wingman. He either earns a game as a forward or he doesn't but please stop.. just stop. Play him forward.

I guess you could go with

Hughes, Logue, Ryan
Conca, Cox, Blakely
Bewley, Brayshaw, Aish
Walters, Taberner, Sturt
Schultz, Lobb, Matera
Darcy, Fyfe, Tucker

Banfield, McCarthy, Cerra, Colyer

IN: Blakely, Matera
OUT: Crowden, Duman

Stephen Hill and Mundy probably played their last game. That’s sad. Can’t see Stephen staying on next year. Unless this year will allow him to fully recuperate. But Mundy.. what a strange way this could happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back