Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
C’mon now...
I agree that it’s very unlikely. Was just thinking out aloud and trying to get my head around it. Seems more likely that the regular season is done and dusted and straight into playoffs. I don’t honestly know if the NHL has scope to end the season later or not

May 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree that it’s very unlikely. Was just thinking out aloud and trying to get my head around it. Seems more likely that the regular season is done and dusted and straight into playoffs. I don’t honestly know if the NHL has scope to end the season later or not

More chance of Donald “Not My Fault” Trump admitting he ****ed up by firing the entire US pandemic response team in 2018 than the NHL compressing the season in that manner.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
C’mon now...
You're right, there's a mandate in the CBA that NHL players can only play 2 nights in a row, maximum. In the AHL it's 3.

I think it's more likely the lose games this season or next. IMO I think the easiest play is to shorten this season, and make the playoffs best of 5.

mianfei

Club Legend
May 10, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bleacher Report said back in 2012/2013 that a second canceled NHL season would be a “kiss of death” for the league. I have imagined based upon scholarly reading that whilst it is plausible that the NBA could and will resume its season behind closed doors once all NBA players are clear of COVID-19, the much more attendance-based NHL would simply lose further money playing without gate revenues. (MLB is similar to the NHL).

A third canceled or interrupted season in fifteen years stands unprecedented for any established sports league in peacetime. Extension of the COVID-19 pandemic into the 2020/2021 season is not implausible – if that occurred would the league combine the two seasons into one?

Since the 2012/2013 lockout, has the NHL done anything to make itself in Bleacher Reportʼs words “more resilient” and to cope with its seemingly never-ending crises?

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Bleacher Report said back in 2012/2013 that a second canceled NHL season would be a “kiss of death” for the league. I have imagined based upon scholarly reading that whilst it is plausible that the NBA could and will resume its season behind closed doors once all NBA players are clear of COVID-19, the much more attendance-based NHL would simply lose further money playing without gate revenues. (MLB is similar to the NHL).

A third canceled or interrupted season in fifteen years stands unprecedented for any established sports league in peacetime. Extension of the COVID-19 pandemic into the 2020/2021 season is not implausible – if that occurred would the league combine the two seasons into one?

Since the 2012/2013 lockout, has the NHL done anything to make itself in Bleacher Reportʼs words “more resilient” and to cope with its seemingly never-ending crises?
They've made the Maple Leafs pay for everything...

mianfei

Club Legend
May 10, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think NHL.TV is free until play resumes. I'll be watching the season again for my sport fix.
If the season is cancelled – or the resumption of NHL play be delayed past the ordinary beginning of the 2020/2021 season – how long would NHL.TV stay free?
think it's more likely the lose games this season or next
Why would the NHL lose games next season, unless the COVID-19 pandemic does not ebb before the 2020/2021 season would ordinarily have began?

Last edited:

mianfei

Club Legend
May 10, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Here’s a sensible outlook on the NHL season by Los Angeles Kings defenceman Drew Doughty yesterday – which may be today Australian time. The data are based on the research of Dr. Zeke Emmanuel at Real Clear Politics, also published by the New York Times Magazine.
  1. Implausible that games will be resumed for the 2019/2020 season
  2. If the 2020/2021 season does start and finish, it will be shortened and played entirely behind closed doors
  3. If no coronavirus vaccine appears, games will be permanently played behind closed doors and crowds will never be allowed again
The fact that there has never been a successful vaccine against a coronavirus make it virtually certain that it could be a lot longer than eighteen months (or the 2021/2022 NHL season) before games are played in front of fans again. In fact it stands improbable that fans ever enter arenas again, with the possible exception of the super-rich in luxury suites. Most likely the TV companies will be opposed to allowing fans again if the NHL can get through a full season without fans, and if spectators by some miracle are allowed again governments will certainly legislate to increase spacing between customers (with possible concessions for closely related people) that would severely reduce the seating capacity of arenas.

Adopting to the post-COVID-19 sports world of universal strict behind-closed-doors play – and possibly of playing all games at remote neutral venues – is especially tough for ice hockey. Ice hockey is less suited to television than any other major league sport. Narrow-angle contact between players and between puck and ice is extremely difficult to capture on television. Modifying the sport to eliminate this problem carries health risks that similar modifications to [Australian rules] football did not, because a much higher puck and sticks carries extreme risks of severe injuries from hitting sensitive regions in the chest and heart. (In contrast, an [Australian rules] football can hit a person without causing severe injury).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 2, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Avs, Spurs, ManU, Raiders, BlueJays
Bettman says they plan to finish the season. The Premier of British Columbia has said the Province is willing to host all teams. Florida are open for sport. They’ll get it done. 2 weeks of regular season and playoffs.
Though I'm not familiar with the rona situation in the states, I'll be stoked if/when they figure our dates for the rest of the season and playoffs.
That'll be 2-3 weeks i'll be taking off work for the end, hoping to see the Avs holding the Cup

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
Though I'm not familiar with the rona situation in the states, I'll be stoked if/when they figure our dates for the rest of the season and playoffs.
That'll be 2-3 weeks i'll be taking off work for the end, hoping to see the Avs holding the Cup

I’m expecting games within a month or so.

Jun 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Chargers
Looks like the plan to return is close to being locked in. Announcing plan in next 2 days.

Regular season wont be completed and will move straight to the playoffs. With an expanded play-in round to give teams who were close to a playoff spot a chance to play.

Division formats are gone. The top 12 teams in each conference will compete. Ranked by current pts %.

The top 4 ranked teams in each conference get a bye from the play in. Seeds 5-12 willl match up in a best of 5 series. With the series winner advancing to the true rd 1 of the playoffs.

Likely structure

West

Teams advanced straight to playoffs
1) St Louis 2) Colorado 3) Vegas 4) Dallas

Play-in matchups
5) Edmonton vs 12) Chicago -winner advances to play Dallas.
6) Nashville vs 11) Arizona -winner advances to play Vegas
7) Vancouver vs 10) Minnesota - winner advances to play Colorado
8) Calgary vs 9) Winnipeg - winner advances to play St Louis

East

Teams advanced straight to playoffs
1) Boston 2) Tampa 3) Washington 4) Philadelphia

5) Pittsburgh vs 12) Montreal - winner advances to play Philadelphia
6) Carolina vs 11) NY Rangers - winner advances to play Washington
7) NY Islanders vs 10) Florida - winner advances to play Tampa
8) Toronto vs 9) Columbus - winner advances to play Boston

I like the format. I think its as fair as possible to give bubble teams the chance they deserves to make the playoffs. No solutuon was perfect but i think this has most levels of fairness.

Only thing i dont like it following a bracket for the next round. The next round should always reseed from highest to lowest who advances. In the instance of 12 ranked Chicago beating 5 ranked edmonton, Chicago should be the lowest seed in the playoffs and play top ranked St Louis, but looks like they will follow the bracket style and Chicago would face 4th ranked Dallas.

While its not official. This looks the likely outcome to be announced this weekend.

Dates TBC but a 3 week training camp in early June, play in start of July...actual playoffs start Mid July.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not a fan of that system but it is what it is I suppose.
Montreal for instance are 10 points out with only 11 games remaining and were next to zero chance of making playoffs so it rewards mediocrity.
I also don’t like the idea that the teams that are in the top 4 have to sit idle whilst the others are getting valuable time on ice.
Personally I’d much rather everyone plays another 4 or 5 games and then head into playoffs. I know that favours teams that are currently in playoff positions but bad luck I say, most teams have played around 70 games so have had plenty of chances to put themselves in a playoff spot

May 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not a fan of that system but it is what it is I suppose.
Montreal for instance are 10 points out with only 11 games remaining and were next to zero chance of making playoffs so it rewards mediocrity.

You would have loved the 80s
In '86 Chronno made the playoffs via 57 points from 80 games played and a goal differential of -75

Toronto Maple Leafs802548731138657

They then went on the sweep the Norris Division champions (Chicago w/ 86 points) 3-0 in the first round.

Teams were often qualifying for the playoffs with points totals in the low 60s, usually the Smythe and the Norris.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
You would have loved the 80s
In '86 Chronno made the playoffs via 57 points from 80 games played and a goal differential of -75

Toronto Maple Leafs802548731138657

They then went on the sweep the Norris Division champions (Chicago w/ 86 points) 3-0 in the first round.

Teams were often qualifying for the playoffs with points totals in the low 60s, usually the Smythe and the Norris.
Yes and I have no problem if a team qualifies by their own right with a low points total but I don’t think Montreal’s own fans would even think they are a realistic chance of making the playoffs this season.
As I said it may be harsh but put a line through the minor round now and if you are in a playoff spot bad luck

May 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes and I have no problem if a team qualifies by their own right with a low points total but I don’t think Montreal’s own fans would even think they are a realistic chance of making the playoffs this season.
As I said it may be harsh but put a line through the minor round now and if you are in a playoff spot bad luck

Extraordinary times.

More playoff teams = more playoff games = more playoff revenue

They’ve lost millions, possibly a billion, already, they need to recoup as much as they can.

Jun 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Chargers
Draft Lottery June 26...7 non playoff teams plus the 8 play in losers are eligible to win draft lottery.

But, Play in will be after the draft lottery in July.

How does this work? Like how can they know who the 8 playin losers will be before its played?

How does the format work?

May 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Draft Lottery June 26...7 non playoff teams plus the 8 play in losers are eligible to win draft lottery.

But, Play in will be after the draft lottery in July.

How does this work? Like how can they know who the 8 playin losers will be before its played?

How does the format work?

I’d recommend ignoring the lottery and any opinions and/or discussions until it’s completed.

Back