Preview Round 2: Changes vs Hawks + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you want to play Dixon it would surely have to be at the expense of Taberner not Darcy.

I would have Lobb as 1st ruck, but still give Darcy 40% of time in the ruck and then let him play deep forward the rest of the time.

Darcy is a much better ruck than Tabs and I doubt we loose too much (if anything) in actual forward production from a Darcy+Dixon partnership compared to Tabs+Dixon.

Darcy is a woeful forward and was woeful in the ruck too.

We would have been better off playing no ruckman at all and just roving the opposition.

My point was that _if_ you want to drop a tall for Dixon then you should drop Tabs before Darcy.
Darcy is a much better ruck (and Lobb needs ruck support) and based on actual forward line production, well, Tabs doesn't really add much to the bottom line.

Apart from being our most productive tall forward since Pavlich retired?

Thank goodness we don't make list management or selection decisions on Big Footy. I know htis is radical, but I'm going to believe the people who actually work with him on a day to day basis. He had a poor game, the game has not "passed him" at 21 years of age. s**t, at his age Dean Cox could barely complete a lap of the oval.

It's not about his age, it's about the role that he plays. As a non-mobile, dinosaur ruckman which is what Darcy is, you really need to absolutely dominate the centre if that's all you're bringing to the table. Darcy can't do that. In fact he was soundly beaten by a third string journeyman in Tom Bellchambers.

If that's the only string to your bow you'd better be good at it, and Darcy isn't.

Dean Cox is a terrible example for reasons that should be obvious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephen Hill and Mundy probably played their last game. That’s sad. Can’t see Stephen staying on next year. Unless this year will allow him to fully recuperate. But Mundy.. what a strange way this could happen

Yep you are probably right.

Mundy is in my Hall of Fame, with Legend status due to his tiger taming.

By the way, this layoff may affect any WA based player reaching 300 games again.

Well apart from Cam McCarthy.

Since 2016:
Tabs
26 games => 34 goals

McCarthy
48 games => 63 goals
Pretty uninspiring list actually.. By games played:

McCarthy 48 games and 63 goals
Cox 35 games and 27 goals
Kersten 29 games and 26 goals
Taberner 26 games and 34 goals
Lobb 16 games and 15 goals
Hogan 12 games and 13 goals
Apeness 5 games and 3 goals
Dixon 1 game and 1 goal

Dixon 1 game and 1 goal
Yeah! Diabolical really. The last three years or so of our club can be summed up in that list.

It's not about his age, it's about the role that he plays. As a non-mobile, dinosaur ruckman which is what Darcy is, you really need to absolutely dominate the centre if that's all you're bringing to the table. Darcy can't do that. In fact he was soundly beaten by a third string journeyman in Tom Bellchambers.

If that's the only string to your bow you'd better be good at it, and Darcy isn't.

Dean Cox is a terrible example for reasons that should be obvious.
Not going to argue this one, because the kid is 21 years old and most ruckmen don't hit their peak until their mid 20's. At times Darcy has looked very mobile, but just hasn't had a decent run with injuries in the past two seasons.

I'll just agree to disagree and we'll check back in a couple of years ;)

So if Victoria are forced to isolate all afl players are included, while we in wa are not under these restrictions?
If wa gets this thing under control (isolate in rotto) our players can continue to train together?

Not going to argue this one, because the kid is 21 years old and most ruckmen don't hit their peak until their mid 20's. At times Darcy has looked very mobile, but just hasn't had a decent run with injuries in the past two seasons.

I'll just agree to disagree and we'll check back in a couple of years ;)
Even now it is debatable whether Darcy fits the game style of modern football, and in another 5years that seems likely to keep moving away from him. I don’t see him as a write off, but we need someone to play now. In terms of rucks the list management has a blip on the screen.

My ideal is someone who can seamlessly change up with Lobb. Darcy seems more someone to rotate off the bench.

Dixon 1 game and 1 goal

That's a bit depressing. It tells you McCarthy is one of our only natural goal kickers, he needs to work through his issues as a forward. End the wing experiment.

Dixon 1 game and 1 goal

Geez that lot make McCarthy look like Jeremy Cameron...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back