2019 Financial Results

The_Wookie I know Port give minimalist info in their report but their 2019 AFL distribution wasn't $19.42m

Revenue from AFL, Matchday and Merchandise = $19,421,544 (2019) $19,805,849 (2018)

2018 AFL annual report said Port got $14.660m base+variable distribution and other distributions of $1.051m.

Port and Adelaide get $2.40 per attendee so that's $896k on a home crowd of 373.5k that's not an AFL distribution and was $1.009m on 420.5k home attendance in 2018. I reckon corporate box and game day functions is included in this as well as about $800k merchandise revenue (my best guess). Stuffed if I know why the club wont give a more detailed breakdown of revenue and expenses.

Jul 2, 2010
The_Wookie I know Port give minimalist info in their report but their 2019 AFL distribution wasn't $19.42m

Revenue from AFL, Matchday and Merchandise = $19,421,544 (2019) $19,805,849 (2018)

2018 AFL annual report said Port got $14.660m base+variable distribution and other distributions of $1.051m.

Port and Adelaide get $2.40 per attendee so that's $896k on a home crowd of 373.5k that's not an AFL distribution and was $1.009m on 420.5k home attendance in 2018. I reckon corporate box and game day functions is included in this as well as about $800k merchandise revenue (my best guess). Stuffed if I know why the club wont give a more detailed breakdown of revenue and expenses.

Yeah I realise that, but theres no breakdown in the report so it is what it is I guess until we see the 2019 report.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
Lakers Claremont
The AFL has now released its "happy times" report:

It only provides info on total distributions to each club and does not set out what the variable and "other" amounts were.
So if 4 clubs being Norf, Doggies, Saints and Dees are bleeding between $5 to $8 mln p.a. to a total of some $20 plus million, surely it is time to revisit the number of clubs in the heartland! Not having a go at the northern clubs because that is a strategic decision with a long term pay off.

1584692494803.png

Sometimes the financials just speak for themselves.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
Mclaren Mercedes F1
From the Report, approx $50 mil guaranteed inclding 10 of the 18 clubs.

5. Contingent liabilities
i. The Company has entered into an agreement with the AFL Players’ Association Inc. for a period of six years commencing on 1 November 2016 whereby the Company has an obligation to assume liability for all amounts due to players of a club where the club has lost its licence to compete in the AFL Competition and is suspended from or loses its right to representation in the League. The amounts payable in these circumstances will be offset by any amounts payable to the players in respect of future employment as a player.
ii. The Company has entered into an agreement with Westpac whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Carlton Football Club Limited to Westpac to a maximum of $5.0 million. This guarantee expires on 31 January 2022.
iii. The Company has entered into an agreement with Westpac whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Melbourne Football Club Limited to Westpac to a maximum of $3.5 million. This guarantee expires on 31 January 2022.
iv. The Company has entered into an agreement with Westpac whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the North Melbourne Football Club Limited to Westpac to a maximum of $3.0 million. This guarantee expires on 31 January 2022.
v. The Company has entered into an agreement with Westpac whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the St Kilda Football Club Limited to Westpac to a maximum of $6.75 million. This guarantee expires on 31 January 2022.
vi. The Company has entered into an agreement with Westpac whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Footscray Football Club Limited to Westpac to a maximum of $4.55 million. This guarantee expires on 31 January 2022.
vii. The Company has entered into an agreement with Westpac whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club Limited to Westpac to a maximum of $8.0 million. This guarantee expires on 31 January 2022.
viii. The Company has entered into an agreement with NAB whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Essendon Football Club Limited to NAB to a maximum of $8.0 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2021.
ix. The Company has entered into an agreement with Bank SA whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Port Adelaide Football Club Limited to Bank SA to a maximum of $5.0 million. This guarantee expires on 6 December 2022.
x. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of GCFC Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $1.19 million (Transactional Facilities). This guarantee expires on 30 April 2021.
xi. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of GCFC Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $1.59 million (Corporate Markets Loan). This guarantee expires on 30 April 2022.
xii. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Western Sydney Football Club Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $1.53 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2020.
xiii. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Australian Football League (Victoria) Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $0.35 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2020.
xiv. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the AFL Queensland Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $0.15 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2020.
xv. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the AFL (NSW/ACT) Commission Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $0.15 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2020.
xvi. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the AFL Northern Territory Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $0.15 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2020.
xvii. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of Football Tasmania Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $0.06 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2020.

Coobk001

Mar 26, 2007
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
So if 4 clubs being Norf, Doggies, Saints and Dees are bleeding between $5 to $8 mln p.a. to a total of some $20 plus million, surely it is time to revisit the number of clubs in the heartland! Not having a go at the northern clubs because that is a strategic decision with a long term pay off.

View attachment 843540
Sometimes the financials just speak for themselves.
News is already flagging Port as in financial trouble, but when you look at that you'd have to think St Kilda, WB, North & Melb, are going to feel the pinch over the next few months.

If the AFL becomes so cash strapped it has to decide to sacrifice a club to save the rest, we could finally see the long overdue culling of a Vic club and/or a relocation to Tas if their govt funds it.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
Peel Thunder
News is already flagging Port as in financial trouble, but when you look at that you'd have to think St Kilda, WB, North & Melb, are going to feel the pinch over the next few months.

If the AFL becomes so cash strapped it has to decide to sacrifice a club to save the rest, we could finally see the long overdue culling of a Vic club and/or a relocation to Tas if their govt funds it.

I don't think any government is going to be in a position to fund a football team.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
Mclaren Mercedes F1

ix. The Company has entered into an agreement with Bank SA whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Port Adelaide Football Club Limited to Bank SA to a maximum of $5.0 million. This guarantee expires on 6 December 2022.

The AFL has guaranteed debt for 10 clubs .... not sure what the involvement of the SA Govt has.

BankSA is owned by Westpac. The SA government hasn't owned them since about 1994.

The AFL has now released its "happy times" report:

It only provides info on total distributions to each club and does not set out what the variable and "other" amounts were.
At least we know what the total amounts are. Base distribution is now $11.003m from the 10 year comparison table.

Distributions to AFL clubs
The AFL makes a number of distributions to AFL clubs.
These distributions totalled $314.6 million, an increase
of $7.4 million compared with 2018, and included
the following:
* A base distribution to all clubs which totalled
$198.1 million; and
* Variable distributions which totalled $71.5 million.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
Wycombe Wanderers
From the Report, approx $50 mil guaranteed inclding 10 of the 18 clubs.

5. Contingent liabilities
i. The Company has entered into an agreement with the AFL Players’ Association Inc. for a period of six years commencing on 1 November 2016 whereby the Company has an obligation to assume liability for all amounts due to players of a club where the club has lost its licence to compete in the AFL Competition and is suspended from or loses its right to representation in the League. The amounts payable in these circumstances will be offset by any amounts payable to the players in respect of future employment as a player.
ii. The Company has entered into an agreement with Westpac whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Carlton Football Club Limited to Westpac to a maximum of $5.0 million. This guarantee expires on 31 January 2022.
iii. The Company has entered into an agreement with Westpac whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Melbourne Football Club Limited to Westpac to a maximum of $3.5 million. This guarantee expires on 31 January 2022.
iv. The Company has entered into an agreement with Westpac whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the North Melbourne Football Club Limited to Westpac to a maximum of $3.0 million. This guarantee expires on 31 January 2022.
v. The Company has entered into an agreement with Westpac whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the St Kilda Football Club Limited to Westpac to a maximum of $6.75 million. This guarantee expires on 31 January 2022.
vi. The Company has entered into an agreement with Westpac whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Footscray Football Club Limited to Westpac to a maximum of $4.55 million. This guarantee expires on 31 January 2022.
vii. The Company has entered into an agreement with Westpac whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club Limited to Westpac to a maximum of $8.0 million. This guarantee expires on 31 January 2022.
viii. The Company has entered into an agreement with NAB whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Essendon Football Club Limited to NAB to a maximum of $8.0 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2021.
x. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of GCFC Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $1.19 million (Transactional Facilities). This guarantee expires on 30 April 2021.
xi. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of GCFC Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $1.59 million (Corporate Markets Loan). This guarantee expires on 30 April 2022.
xii. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Western Sydney Football Club Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $1.53 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2020.
xiii. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the Australian Football League (Victoria) Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $0.35 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2020.
xiv. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the AFL Queensland Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $0.15 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2020.
xv. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the AFL (NSW/ACT) Commission Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $0.15 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2020.
xvi. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of the AFL Northern Territory Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $0.15 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2020.
xvii. The Company has entered into an agreement with National Australia Bank whereby the Company guarantees the obligations of Football Tasmania Limited to National Australia Bank to a maximum of $0.06 million. This guarantee expires on 30 April 2020.
Those are maximums, though.

I can't be bothered checking other clubs, but North Melbourne has only drawn down $650,000 of that $3million facility.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Those are maximums, though.

I can't be bothered checking other clubs, but North Melbourne has only drawn down $650,000 of that $3million facility.

& thats where we hope all clubs are. Was that at balance date or more current.
Most clubs would be in good shape with their membership revenue.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
Mclaren Mercedes F1
How much money do they generate through tv deals? What about new fans to the game?

3. Revenue Consolidated 2019 2018
Revenue from operating activities $’000 $’000

Broadcasting and AFL media 397,439 391,504
Commercial operations 290,338 279,375
Football operations 17,337 18,708
Game development 38,367 38,327
Other revenue 34,458 34,682
Contra advertising revenue 16,000 16,000
793,939 778,596

So round number answer $400 mil p.a

AstuteTiger

Mar 22, 2009
West Coast revenue is $102,473,909, which is split into revenue form ordinary activities of $88,660,496 and other revenue outside ordinary activities of $13,813,413.

Do u mean development funding? that's the 13 million you included. Eagles actual revenue as we know is 88,660,496 even the club states that figure.

Capriati

Aug 25, 2019
Do u mean development funding? that's the 13 million you included. Eagles actual revenue as we know is 88,660,496 even the club states that figure.

Development funding is part of a clubs revenue for the year.

Richmond also reported their revenue as 92.4 million even though that total included a 500K grant.

AstuteTiger

Mar 22, 2009
Development funding is part of a clubs revenue for the year.

Richmond also reported their revenue as 92.4 million even though that total included a 500K grant.

It's not included in the main part of their revenue 88.6 mill for the tiges 500K grant take that out and you still have almost 92 mill, compared to eagles 13.7 mill big difference.
If Richmond turned over 100 mill and were handed 50 mill to develop punt road i surely wouldn't be saying we turned over 150 mill.
As i know the following year that amount wouldn't be given again.

This isn't to take down the eagles as we all know they generate the most money and have the most money. 88.6 mill is the real gross revenue for the year.

Capriati

Aug 25, 2019
It's not included in the main part of their revenue 88.6 mill for the tiges 500K grant take that out and you still have almost 92 mill, compared to eagles 13.7 mill big difference.
If Richmond turned over 100 mill and were handed 50 mill to develop punt road i surely wouldn't be saying we turned over 150 mill.
As i know the following year that amount wouldn't be given again.

This isn't to take down the eagles as we all know they generate the most money and have the most money. 88.6 mill is the real gross revenue for the year.

I think you are trying to split hairs here mate.

West Coast's revenue is 102m which includes 13m in development funding
Richmonds revenue is 92.4m which includes 500K dev funding and 24.2m in non-football related revenue (i.e. Aligned Leisure).

However, revenue isn't really the bees knees when it comes to financial position of the club, it really is operating profit and West Coast's profit was double that of Richmonds 8m vs 4m and that 8m profit is after giving 4m to the WAFC for grass roots footy in WA.

I'm not gonna have a back and forth with you around which club is richer, both are doing great, and as a fan I am sure you are proud of the leaps and bounds your club has made on this front, from save our skins and selling home games to Cairns, to now being one of the biggest clubs.

AstuteTiger

Mar 22, 2009
I think you are trying to split hairs here mate.

West Coast's revenue is 102m which includes 13m in development funding
Richmonds revenue is 92.4m which includes 500K dev funding and 24.2m in non-football related revenue (i.e. Aligned Leisure).

However, revenue isn't really the bees knees when it comes to financial position of the club, it really is operating profit and West Coast's profit was double that of Richmonds 8m vs 4m and that 8m profit is after giving 4m to the WAFC for grass roots footy in WA.

I'm not gonna have a back and forth with you around which club is richer, both are doing great, and as a fan I am sure you are proud of the leaps and bounds your club has made on this front, from save our skins and selling home games to Cairns, to now being one of the biggest clubs.

13.7 mill to 500K grant isn't splitting hairs mate. By the way, RFC owns Aligned Leisure which is a continuous revenue stream for the club, development funding of 13.7 mill isn't, don't confuse the 2.
We don't need to go back n forth, eagles are the richest that's not even debatable, that wasn't even the point i was making.

Yes, both clubs doing great on and off-field.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
Peel Thunder
13.7 mill to 500K grant isn't splitting hairs mate. By the way, RFC owns Aligned Leisure which is a continuous revenue stream for the club, development funding of 13.7 mill isn't, don't confuse the 2.
We don't need to go back n forth, eagles are the richest that's not even debatable, that wasn't even the point i was making.

Funnily enough that leisure business is likely going to be a huge financial drain on the club in the short term. West Coast's investment strategy of simply banking their profits now looks like genius.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Sadly the AFL seem to want clubs to publish good numbers, grants being included as profits misleads most people. Its not just this example, all clubs have adopted this very misleading proceduré.

Again courtesy of The Wookie, check out the website !!

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
Peel Thunder
Sadly the AFL seem to want clubs to publish good numbers, grants being included as profits misleads most people. Its not just this example, all clubs have adopted this very misleading proceduré.

Again courtesy of The Wookie, check out the website !!

It's only misleading to people that don't know how to read financial statements.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
Mclaren Mercedes F1
FYI:
Closures announced on Monday included Murray Art Museum Albury, Lauren Jackson Sports Centre and Albury Entertainment Centre.
Wodonga Sports and Leisure Centre has also shut its doors.
"The health and safety of our people, both staff and customers, has always been our No.1 priority," Aligned Leisure business development manager Ben Tudhope said.
"We understand that there will be an impact felt by many from these closures, however we believe this is the right decisiojn to protect our community based on current advice."

Aligned Leisure is expanding rapidly but is yet to turn a profit as I understand:

March 30 2020
Nillumbik Shire Council has made the decision to engage Aligned Leisure to operate the Shire’s five sport and recreation centres.

The facilities – Eltham Leisure Centre, Community Bank Stadium, Diamond Creek Outdoor Pool, Diamond Creek Community Centre and Diamond Valley Sports and Fitness Centre – are currently managed by three separate providers.

Aligned Leisure, a subsidiary company of the Richmond Football Club, is the current operator the Eltham Leisure Centre.

FYI:
Closures announced on Monday included Murray Art Museum Albury, Lauren Jackson Sports Centre and Albury Entertainment Centre.
Wodonga Sports and Leisure Centre has also shut its doors.
"The health and safety of our people, both staff and customers, has always been our No.1 priority," Aligned Leisure business development manager Ben Tudhope said.
"We understand that there will be an impact felt by many from these closures, however we believe this is the right decisiojn to protect our community based on current advice."

Aligned Leisure is expanding rapidly but is yet to turn a profit as I understand:

March 30 2020
Nillumbik Shire Council has made the decision to engage Aligned Leisure to operate the Shire’s five sport and recreation centres.

The facilities – Eltham Leisure Centre, Community Bank Stadium, Diamond Creek Outdoor Pool, Diamond Creek Community Centre and Diamond Valley Sports and Fitness Centre – are currently managed by three separate providers.

Aligned Leisure, a subsidiary company of the Richmond Football Club, is the current operator the Eltham Leisure Centre.

dude AL has been profitable for the past two years - you're better than that