Review Dees v Eagles: the Good, Bad & Fugly @ Doomsday

Remove this Banner Ad

Roosy come back.

He's got a personality,something I think all supporters appreciate. Rather than answering questions regarding performance like a ******* android.
From the behind the scenes footage and (control > challenge - ???whirpool??? messaging) Goodwin speaks like a wannabe entrepreneur writing a motivational post on LinkedIn.

I take what i said back, our players are idiots if they are drawn to that.

We need a legitimate full forward, all we have is an ex defender who rarely turns up these days, the weed who is still living off the glory of a finals game from 2 years ago and a reject Essendon pensioner.

******* go out and spend a truckload on a bloke who can get on the end of the long bombs and crash some packs.

From the behind the scenes footage and (control > challenge - ???whirpool??? messaging) Goodwin speaks like a wannabe entrepreneur writing a motivational post on LinkedIn.

I take what i said back, our players are idiots if they are drawn to that.

Just from the outside looking in he's way too much of a cuddler..Much in the same way Neeld was too much of a nutcase..Need a balance of both to keep players on their toes, respect the coach but don't hate him.

Heap of them seem to do it their way and face no real consequences coz they are good buddies with goody.

Or perhaps Goody just is that crap, I mean all he's done is come in on the back of Roosy's work and have one good season. Two years later its all gone to s**t. Almost like Roosy's work has been rubbed off the players.

What the * was Oliver doing following that guy in the back half? "Chase" would be too strong a word- zero pressure at all, gave the Eagles bloke a minute pick a target.

Pig thrashing the ball into the 50, literally one Demon surrounded by 3 Eagles. Two kicks and a handball later and there's 15 Eagles standing around by themselves in their forward 50. Amazing the let us stay as close as we were.

Where was Harmes? Was he legitimately playing in the backline? WHY IS HE PLAYING IN THE BACKLINE!?!??!

Tommy Mac, classic Robbie Walls "PUT HIM IN THE RUCK", ******* hell. Did that actually happen? I could swear I heard the commentators say that. If we've pulled out that move we're right ******* out ideas, clearly.

Didn't see a lot of Melksham.

Lever's stache is s**t-house. It's like when a 12 year old pulls on their dad's suit. Mate.

Bedford getting pushed to the ground, no one bothering to remonstrate, that's the Melbourne way, you're on your own out there mate.
Viney looked good.

******* pitiful.

What the fu** was Oliver doing following that guy in the back half? "Chase" would be too strong a word- zero pressure at all, gave the Eagles bloke a minute pick a target.

Pig thrashing the ball into the 50, literally one Demon surrounded by 3 Eagles. Two kicks and a handball later and there's 15 Eagles standing around by themselves in their forward 50. Amazing the let us stay as close as we were.

Where was Harmes? Was he legitimately playing in the backline? WHY IS HE PLAYING IN THE BACKLINE!?!??!

Tommy Mac, classic Robbie Walls "PUT HIM IN THE RUCK", ******* hell. Did that actually happen? I could swear I heard the commentators say that. If we've pulled out that move we're right ******* out ideas, clearly.

Didn't see a lot of Melksham.

Lever's stache is s**t-house. It's like when a 12 year old pulls on their dad's suit. Mate.

Bedford getting pushed to the ground, no one bothering to remonstrate, that's the Melbourne way, you're on your own out there mate.
Viney looked good.

******* pitiful.

The Robert Walls "put him in the Ruck" comment legit crack up. I miss Wallsy on channel 10. Was always great when Carlton played and his emotions spilled over into commentery, I remember Bret Thornton being his favourite whipping boy. Great times. Amazing times. 😂

Maybe that's why the players don't know what they're doing, they've got a coach running around impersonating Colonel Kutz in Apocalypse now. "Sorry Toby, can't help you right now, coach reckons I have to impersonate water going down the drain, I'm a sink right? Right?!?!?! LOOK AT THIS TWIRL!!!"

Whirlpool, what the * is that?!?!!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So someone, somehow, needs to break down vision of that game over the next 2 months, combined with vision from 2019, to use as an argument as to why Goodwin’s lack of respect for the opposition is a fireable offence.

what did we get better at? Goodwin’s stupid forward structure where we kick to the same damn spot every time was there. classic Goodwin Dees paid zero respect at stoppages and just left a paddock behind stoppages for Eagles mids to fill if they won a stoppage and ofc our defensive running after we lost a stoppage wasn’t very good.

like ******* hell. the good thing is Goody lost a game that was pencilled inas a loss anyway,the new recruits are clearly good at football, and Goody has 2 months to rectify his shithouse game plan that doesn’t work.

*. What an infuriating game to watch.

Felt like you blokes had the better of us in the first quarter but couldn't put it on the board, and from then on chasing down a five goal lead was tough.

I doubt we'll get a season and a premier this year so today meant nothing in the scheme of things.
Eagles far too good inside to just disrespect like we did. We didn’t even account for possibilities of you guys getting clearances. Not one defensive midfielder in centre circle, not one person filling the hole behind stoppages, and the forward structure was useless as always with forwards clearly instructed to occupy central areas, which was easily predicted and picked off by the Eagles.

offensively it was fine IF you sack Goodwin and the current forwards coach. Defensively there’s nothing right structurally. One on ones we weren’t even bad, OMac May and Lever did their part on the Eagles talls.

Sound like not worth watching the replay then. Also sounds like all my calls on Goody were right - a real shame we have gone back to being shot

Kinda seems pointless reviewing the game but * it got nothing better to do

I am 100% certain we will never be successful with the midfield group we have
Viney, Brayshaw and Oliver must have a pact together that when one of them gets the ball, they all share in it before it goes forward.
When it does go forward its always a long high kick to whichever forward is in the square at the time.
Convince me Clayton Oliver is any better than Tom Mitchell at football because he aint, he has won BNFs and AA selection off the back of handballing it well. His defensive work is a disgrace and hes only valuable for the initial 3 second of every ball up.

MIDS
Brayshaw is over rated bigtime. Hes a slow fumbly inside mid who doesnt word hard off the ball, happy to nail a tackle when they are a metre away but doesnt chase or work hard off the ball. Terrible kick of the footy, no penetration the ball floats off his boot.

Jack Viney is completely one dimensional, which is fine if he was allowed to be one dimensional on his own but in a game like today when he abandons all other facets of the game and becomes a ball hunter to the extreme he essentially renders Oliver and Brayshaw useless because he wins it and then has 2 inside mids who are so close he can just place the ball in their hands.

Petracca is a puddle head, as soon as the eagles got up in his face he stopped being Petracca and just became another one paced average inside mid. Didnt have the mental strength to break tackles like the pre season.

Harmes...didnt even remember he was playing until the last quarter. Nice coaching move morons.

As for the defence, Im surprised all the plaudits for Lockhart. He played the offensive side of the game well but between him and Harmes they let Ryan and Ah Chee kick 5.4 which was the margin in the end. Same issue I have with Salem in defence, all good to look pretty with the ball but theres a reason why we always concede easy goals in defence and its because we are playing with mids and forwards in the backhalf.

Hibberd was the worst game i might have ever seen, MMM used to do the 3 worst on votes and Hibberd won that by the Flemington, Reckon he kicked it long to no one about 15 times, not even exaggerating.

Langdon- works incredibly hard to get to space and thats about it. Im already off this bloke. His kicking is horrific, think people might see that having 'wingers' was not one of our issues last year. All Langdon really did was stand wide on the ground, run and kick the ball far. Basically Jayden Hunt but less quickly.

Forwards
The forwards its really hard to say, was it all to do with the horrific delivery of the midfield or did they have no options to kick to? Id say the forward line is a real issue, None of them seemed to want to create a contest at the predictable ball drop. I reckon 30 of our forward entries landed 25m out directly infront and 28 of them were uncontested eagles contests.
Richmond do the same kick but Riewoldt or Lynch always create a contest. Instead we have Fritsch Brown and Melksham
My feeling is we are actually trying to replicate the Pies forward line but they are brilliant at isolating their medium forwards deep in the goalsquare and then kicking it flat and hard to them for a 1 on 1.
we seem to be half pregnant with a medium small forward line that we always kick long to.

Cant believe that the only positive I can take out of that game was Pickett. Everyone else was either same old or worse.

Can someone post the Simpsons GIF were Jasper's beard is caught in the pencil sharpener, grandpa's solution is to keep winding it in and each time hoping for a different outcome.......that is our fowardline entries summed up.

Can someone post the Simpsons GIF were Jasper's beard is caught in the pencil sharpener, grandpa's solution is to keep winding it in and each time hoping for a different outcome.......that is our fowardline entries summed up.
pencilsharpener.gif

If we're doing Simpsons gifs of our forwardline, it has to be this one surely:

og16_vdNK1Etz7bqusWP5I6GRVw=.gif

Hard to know how players were affected mentally knowing the season is likely cooked but fmd that was atrocious. Literally all the issues we had last year looked just as bad.

Goody is going to survive another 18 months and it’ll set us back soooo much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back