Society/Culture Victoria Cross winner Ben Roberts-Smith - Allegations of war crimes

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s funny how those who want Indigenous round, LGBT games, etc stopped for “politicising the game with overt PC culture” are the first to demand silence and respect on that number example of PC culture in this country, Anzac Day.

We need to have them carrying weapons of death at the footy because it’s a great opportunity to brainwashed young kids into enlisting. In the US those pre football match military ceremonies are funded from the recruitment department of the military. It’s pure PR and recruitment, nothing more.

If people don't enlist then you might get a letter saying congratulations you are in the service now. I wouldn't be complaining about romancing the service life. Appreciate your military and thank them because whatever reason they join ..it means you don't have to.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
If people don't enlist then you might get a letter saying congratulations you are in the service now. I wouldn't be complaining about romancing the service life. Appreciate your military and thank them because whatever reason they join ..it means you don't have to.
You mean if such a law was passed by Parliament, right

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s a way of militarising our culture.
Just like America, with their “thank you for your service” culture. Not only can’t you say anything bad about the military, you HAVE to support them and thank them and call them heroes at every opportunity.

Everywhere I’ve been in the US if anyone is identified as a soldier they get thank you’s, hand shakes, offers to pay for drinks, meals. People give up their seats for them. They are fawned over in every form of culture from the Ellen Show to the NFL. This for people who may do nothing more than an administrative job in a base stateside and have never been shot at.

Whilst most civilian professions get ignored or get some lip service if they’re in the media for a little while (like firefighters here recently, and healthcare workers are at the moment) but once they’ve faded from the news cycle they’ll be dismissed and we’ll go back to military hero worship.

Even the Minister for Veteran’s Affairs said all Australians should shake the hand of any member of the military and thank them for their service. The powers that be want this American military hero worship culture here no doubt.

So if another Lib government is in power they’ll probably put a former General in charge. Let the “civvie scum” know their place. Which is a label I’m told is quite widespread in the military, and not a joke either. I’ve come across it in varying degrees from former military. From bragging about how much better they are at whatever they do than “civvies”, to downright hatred of civilians. Pure hatred.
ShanDog, any truth to the final paragraph?

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
If we're mean to Coles workers and don't show them the respect they deserve then the government might have to implement conscription to force people to work there.

I suppose if you want to get stupid about it. They stop your unemployment benefits don’t they ?
But they don’t stop your unemployment benefits if you don’t join the services ? Do you think that might change if we didn’t have a defence force?

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
Why can't that happen for the military?

Because we don’t need to ..because we treat our ex servicemen and servicemen with respect and joining the forces is still seen as something worth doing.

It can happen or something similar will happen if we don’t have a capable defence force appropriate to our region and commitment to the US.

You lose your job and you could be off to Afghanistan.. that would be no good.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
ShanDog, any truth to the final paragraph?
Maybe true of old soldiers from a bygone era. I've certainly heard one or two old school RSMs talk like that, but even then it struck me as acting up to the part more than anything genuine.

We joke about civvies every now and again. They are soft. Complain a lot. Always have an opinion about wars and fighting without a clue about what it means in the real world. But there's certainly no animosity.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Why can't that happen for the military?
It's only civilians who are ever in favour of conscription. Ask a soldier if they want to deal with having a belligerent and underachieving (essentially) civilian in uniform working with them and you can imagine what their answer would be.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
It's only civilians who are ever in favour of conscription. Ask a soldier if they want to deal with having a belligerent and underachieving (essentially) civilian in uniform working with them and you can imagine what their answer would be.
I'd add people who wouldn't be in the age group to be conscripted to that.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe true of old soldiers from a bygone era. I've certainly heard one or two old school RSMs talk like that, but even then it struck me as acting up to the part more than anything genuine.

We joke about civvies every now and again.
They are soft. Complain a lot. Always have an opinion about wars and fighting without a clue about what it means in the real world. But there's certainly no animosity.
So, somewhat like every job then; retail workers bitch about customers, tradies bitch about clients, etc.

Back