Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Sam Frost. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Frost would be one of the people I'd be least happy to see barreling towards me at full speed; absolute wrecking ball as he's a big strong frame and he propels himself with immense speed and absolute abandon... type of guy who leaves forwards hurting which is interesting if you consider Clarko bringing in two pillars who are going to make opposition feel it, and earn it at each end of the ground. Loving it.

Will be one of my favourite players at the club. Reminds me of prime Stratts a bit in the way he attacks the ball without a moments hesitation.

That dash of half back was tantalizing as well.

Someone just has to be near him for a handball when he goes on one of his tears.
If he was making poor choices then I'd fully agree. But he seems to make the right choices but just fails to execute the kicks. I reckon it's the one weakness that is stopping him from becoming twice the player he is now. He's got about 9 weeks before he might play his next game so I hope he spends some time kicking into a bin across the yard or something. Even if he can just make his worst kicks half as bad and half as frequent it will be an insane improvement. He'd quickly become our best defender just by doing that.

If he was making poor choices then I'd fully agree. But he seems to make the right choices but just fails to execute the kicks. I reckon it's the one weakness that is stopping him from becoming twice the player he is now. He's got about 9 weeks before he might play his next game so I hope he spends some time kicking into a bin across the yard or something. Even if he can just make his worst kicks half as bad and half as frequent it will be an insane improvement. He'd quickly become our best defender just by doing that.

He made the right choice in the target he picked, but obviously completely fudged the kick. If someone is there for the handoff (in the right position of course, as I doubt anyone can keep up) then that mitigates the chances for a turnover.

If he could improve his kicking it would be amazing, though it may be too late for that.

But if he doesn't, and then goes on tears only to turn it over suddenly we have a FB completely out of position.

Having said all that it was great to watch him take off and run through players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope not.

He's just had a great 12-18 months with us playing off HBF. He's got great straight line, line breaking speed & acceleration, but I don't see him as having the evasive agility of a small forward/FP.
The pressure small forward role is more straight line than the twisty/turning goal kicking small forward. Poppy is more the first, Breust more of the second. Cyril went from the goal kicking forward to more of a pressure forward over his career. Impey would provide terrifying closing speed against a defence. He's been a forward in the past, IIRC he kicked 3 for PA against the Tiges a few years ago.

The pressure small forward role is more straight line than the twisty/turning goal kicking small forward. Poppy is more the first, Breust more of the second. Cyril went from the goal kicking forward to more of a pressure forward over his career. Impey would provide terrifying closing speed against a defence. He's been a forward in the past, IIRC he kicked 3 for PA against the Tiges a few years ago.
Yeh, maybe.
But Port let him go as an inconsistent small forward & we've had him playing good, consistent footy at HB. Could be a bunch to do with environment & mindset though.

I agree that he'd be better as a pressure forward than small forward, for the reasons you listed.

I still think he'd be of more value to us adding rebound & speed to our backline, but given the distinction between pressure & scoring forwards, I agree that he'd do well in the role you described.

Yeh, maybe.
But Port let him go as an inconsistent small forward & we've had him playing good, consistent footy at HB. Could be a bunch to do with environment & mindset though.

I agree that he'd be better as a pressure forward than small forward, for the reasons you listed.

I still think he'd be of more value to us adding rebound & speed to our backline, but given the distinction between pressure & scoring forwards, I agree that he'd do well in the role you described.
Port did not want to let Impey go - they were desperate to keep him but traded him on compassionate reasons following the death of his father - not all clubs would do the same

Last edited:
Port did not let Impey go - they were desperate to keep him but traded him on compassionate reasons following the death of his father - not all clubs would do the same
So they kinda did let him go? :think:

I didn't suggest that they de-listed him - the point was that when he left (regardless the circumstances) he was an inconsistent small forward & within 2 seasons he was a reliable, consistent HBF.

He made the right choice in the target he picked, but obviously completely fudged the kick. If someone is there for the handoff (in the right position of course, as I doubt anyone can keep up) then that mitigates the chances for a turnover.

If he could improve his kicking it would be amazing, though it may be too late for that.

But if he doesn't, and then goes on tears only to turn it over suddenly we have a FB completely out of position.

Having said all that it was great to watch him take off and run through players.
That's why I partially agreed. When we got him I thought his issue was that he panicked and rushed his next move and made poor choices. Similar to how when we got Frawley it took time to retrain him to stop defaulting to just punting the ball straight down the line and to instead look to hand off or hit up a target - something that he's doing quite well these days and I now consider him a reliable ball user.

Frost can work on his kicking during the next couple months and can continue to do so when back at training, but it will never be the same as match day conditions. If he's to improve he'll need to continue to try things during games. But as long as it's on the back of a planned development program to improve whatever it is mechanically about his kicking rather than just hoping he might eventually get better some day then I think it's worth a bit of short term pain with his mistakes to see if he can become so much more of a player.

But we should definitely be looking to see how we can limit the impact of those mistakes he makes in the meantime. I just don't think it should be at the expense of helping him find a way to improve.

I'm sick of this X kicked Y goals in a game to prove that a defender played well or poorly. We play a very team oriented defense, so if anyone gets off the chain or is kept deathly quiet it's typically the responsibility of everyone back there.

You can only go by what you see, and what I saw from Frost was a direct hand in multiple goals where he took the game on. Granted he fluffed one kick but we still scored out of it, and the other he bodylined the ball, tapped it to a distributor and it went inside 50 for an easy one from the goal square.

Frost was seriously good, probably the best first game I've seen from a player who was new to the system since Titch.

I'm sick of this X kicked Y goals in a game to prove that a defender played well or poorly. We play a very team oriented defense, so if anyone gets off the chain or is kept deathly quiet it's typically the responsibility of everyone back there.

You can only go by what you see, and what I saw from Frost was a direct hand in multiple goals where he took the game on. Granted he fluffed one kick but we still scored out of it, and the other he bodylined the ball, tapped it to a distributor and it went inside 50 for an easy one from the goal square.

Frost was seriously good, probably the best first game I've seen from a player who was new to the system since Titch.
Does this same reasoning apply to defenders keeping player X from kicking Y goals and being applauded for a 5 touch game? Asking for a friend

Agreed... but not into a bin... the way to fix kicking is to bounce the ball from a low hand push. Walk around the block and get a good bounce Every time. It is not easy! Every bad bounce is a bad kick. If you cannot control the bounce of a ball, you cannot know where it will land on your foot and not know how to kick it with accuracy. Peter Everitt was the best tall guy who put the ball onto his foot. There are many other current great players who do the same.

I do get what the knock was against him. Did some absolutely brilliant things that could see him as one of the best KPD in the league but then follow it up with absolute howler of an error.

Plenty more good things than bad and I'm sure that ratio will only become more favourable as he continues to get more training with the Hawks.
Yep - enough there to suggest we can iron the bad out. Certainly not short on talent nor endeavour which is a great sign

Remove this Banner Ad

Back