News Brisbane Lions players stood down with no pay.

Remove this Banner Ad

It could be true but in the article it also says

Sources said Brisbane Lions players had been stood down without pay for now, although the club said this was not the case.

However also in article

Players are paid after work is completed, and are certain to be paid up until March 27, the end of the current pay period. What happens after that is uncertain, given no games will be played.

Obviously I am disappointed for all employees that will be stood down, particularly the junior admin staff.

In terms of the personal that we may now lose, which have played a massive role in our club's recent success is our high performance and strength and conditioning team. Losing them may impact the club in a lot more ways than we could've ever anticipated.

Terrible times for all concerned and my heart goes out to everyone at the club.

FWIW, this is the email sent by Greg Swann to club members a little earlier:

Last night the AFL made the unprecedented decision to suspend the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership season until the 31st May 2020 and conclude the NAB AFL Women’s season as a result of the continuing spread of the Covid-19 virus.

The worsening situation in the community and the decision by various State Governments to close their borders meant it was time for the AFL to immediately stop the AFL and AFLW competitions.

Our men’s players found out in the rooms after a tough Round 1 loss to Hawthorn and as you can imagine, the news was met with disbelief and silence.

Whilst this is obviously a disappointing outcome, the Club supports the extremely tough decision and the hard work and collaboration with stakeholders that has gone into making it. If you had have told me a month ago this is what our 2020 Season would look like, I wouldn’t have believed you.

We have a lot of work ahead of us to ensure the Club’s financial stability and there will need to be some really tough decisions made, but we’re committed to ensuring that your Club still exists in six months’ time, in a years’ time and in 50 years’ time.

In order to do that, we will be implementing a series of significant measures that will shore up our finances and we will aim to be as transparent as possible as we move through the process. We will also provide members with more information as to how best to support the Club through these trying times – because we do need your help.

There are many people who are impacted by the AFL’s decision, not least of which are our loyal and hard-working staff and players. Their wellbeing as we work through this is paramount and we will support them through whatever lies ahead.

The way we behave as a community during this extraordinary world health crisis, will directly impact the severity of the outcome. We ask that, as the Brisbane Lions community, you all do your part to stop the spread of the virus, follow the government’s health advice and practice social distancing so that we can help flatten the curve and save lives.

It’s not all doom and gloom, we will be encouraging our people to take this time to relax, to reset and to reprioritize the things that are important. Without trivializing, this time does give us all a moment in what has become an increasingly noisy, busy world, to take stock and we hope you can all do the same as well.

The Lions have been around, in one form or another, for over 130 years and that is entirely thanks to the wonderful, passionate supporters that have invested not only their time and money, but their cheers, screams, boos, tears, cries of “ball” and everything in between. For that, we say a heartfelt thank you, and we’ll see you back out on The Gabba soon.

We’d also like to take this opportunity to thank our health workers and other front line staff who continue to go to work in order to preserve the safety and wellbeing of the broader community.

Football certainly isn't the be all and end all, and we understand that many within the community will be doing it tough over the coming months, the Club hopes you and your families stay healthy and safe and get through this as best you can. I will continue to keep you updated as more information comes to hand.

Regards,

Greg Swann

I guess ??? The women are going to cope better cause they are used to not really getting payed to be footballers? Wasn't the Suns coach who said they are effectively earning 15c?

So the boys could be spotted down at Centrelink signing up for Newstart. Very strange world.

There are so many people getting laid off who haven't earnt anything like the boys - unless they have a gambling problem you gotta think they have money in the bank and are well placed to make it through this year.

Is the off field spending cap being reduced or will the rich clubs retain all their off field talent and we’ll lose our fitness and conditioning staff?

I heard that we pay the boys monthly, will pay them this month and after that has to be worked out....

....I heard that on SEN at some stage earlier today.

Wouldn't it be prudent to pay the players to keep them happy and in the long run, loyal?

If we are asking them to take leave without pay, I would hope every single person at the club from the coach to the CEO etc also takes leave without pay.

We do not want disgruntled players at the end of all this....

Last edited:
If someone can link to here if possible please...

Jon Ralph, HUN AFL Daily blog 1hr ago..

Clubs across the board to stand down staff......clubs will not have to negotiate with players about their pay..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Headline: 'Lions players told they won't be paid'
Sub-Heading "Lions players may be stood down"
Article "Sources said Brisbane Lions players had been stood down without pay for now, although the club said this was not the case."

This article is ridiculous.
I don't think the article is ridiculous snooplions.
RU would have just done a copy & past from the web page. The headline is automatic i assume.

The actual headline from the article reads : " AFL orders mass stand-downs of staff at clubs, league HQ"

The article gave us some information we may not have known.
For one : How players are usually paid. I often wondered how that worked.
It is possibly why the players agreed to play on once this was explained to them at recent meetings
From article

Players are paid after work is completed, and are certain to be paid up until March 27, the end of the current pay period. What happens after that is uncertain, given no games will be played.

Its a bit rich that such stories are being solely levelled against Brisbane when all clubs would be doing the same.

I bet these same news outlets wouldn't have run the same headlines / stories against the bigger clubs such as Collingwood, Richmond etc.

Headline: 'Lions players told they won't be paid'
Sub-Heading "Lions players may be stood down"
Article "Sources said Brisbane Lions players had been stood down without pay for now, although the club said this was not the case."

This article is ridiculous.
Maybe ridiculous but 100% true and accurate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back