Goals: 1
Yabby Medal votes: 0

Averages

Kicks: 8.1 per game
Handballs: 5.4 per game
Disposals: 13.6 per game
Marks: 3.6 per game

Milestones

Career high disposals (20), kicks (11) and handballs (9) in a game (round 14, 2019 against Sydney Swans)

Standout

Round 14, 2019 (versus Sydney Swans): Among the confines of the SCG, Glass was a solid contributor across half-back, with 20 disposals (including five rebound-50s) and three marks in a game the Hawks lost by 19 points.

Shocker

Round 16, 2019 (versus Collingwood Magpies): In what turned out to be his last game for the season, Glass committed an equal season-high four clangers while gathering 14 disposals across half-back, including an egregious turnover that led to a Collingwood shot on goal in a tight contest (fortunately for Glass, Mihocek missed the set shot).

44 - Conor Glass (2018)

Strange season, he obviously isn't doing something the coaches like... but it's obvious he is doing something the coaches are starting to like at BH.

Liked the fact he played through the middle at BH and he's clangers against Collingwood I would wear any day of the week as only one cost a score and at least three the other way cause us a score. Twas the only guy that day trying to change the game.

I'm ok at where he is. Think he will only get better.

Strange season, he obviously isn't doing something the coaches like... but it's obvious he is doing something the coaches are starting to like at BH.

Liked the fact he played through the middle at BH and he's clangers against Collingwood I would wear any day of the week as only one cost a score and at least three the other way cause us a score. Twas the only guy that day trying to change the game.

I'm ok at where he is. Think he will only get better.
One of the bad clangers against Collingwood wasn't entirely his fault. Can't remember who passed it to him but it went over his head and he had to chase the ball and then kick under pressure to an option that now had a man closing on.

Had the first simple kick been good glass would have had time to make the switch to the open player.

A real confidence player, only issue is that he's had a few moments that have shaken his confidence over his time at the club.

His best plays always seem so good and his worst seem to punish us so heavily. Hope he can get that consistency as his size and his physical tools are very good.

Hope he improves because I like the Irish players coming over and succeeding, but he'll be delisted by the end of the year IMO.

So, an article from afl.com.au stated that Glass had re-signed for 2020, but the Hawks have not confirmed this and (from memory) he was not part of the group of players the Hawks confirmed contract durations a little while back. I think there are players ahead of him in the queue for being delisted this year, but depending on how Hawthorn goes at the trade table, he might be out on his ear as soon as this year.

To those saying he'll be delisted - I very much doubt it. These Irish lads take a huge leap of faith in coming over here and placing trust in the club. Hawthorn is hardly going to turf them out within 2 - 3 years of being on the list.

I might be on an island by myself here but I still really see a player in Conor Glass. Has a way to go to get there but has all the tools to do it.

I’m with you. He has pace, tackles well and loves a contest. With patience I think he could make a great winger. His clangers get spoken about all the time (which I understand as his mistakes do tend to cost us massively) but I’ve seen him hit some great passes inside 50 as well. He needs stability IMO, work out quickly what his best position is and give him time there.

I reckon Nashy has the tools as well. Does anyone else see him having the ability to play key back?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I might be on an island by myself here but I still really see a player in Conor Glass. Has a way to go to get there but has all the tools to do it.
Yeah, I'm the same.

It's really interesting watching the Irish lads, as it's a very different development trajectory than normal draftees, and the same general principles don't apply. If we put in 4-5 years on a low salary to foster development, and then everything clicks, leaving us with 4-5 years of high quality 1st XVIII football, I think it's a great get. Particularly given our lack of access to high end talent of later.

Let's hope it clicks for Glass this year, and that Nash also forges ahead. For glass, I think he has the fitness and the hardness, just need to find a spot in the team for him!

Yeah, I'm the same.

It's really interesting watching the Irish lads, as it's a very different development trajectory than normal draftees, and the same general principles don't apply. If we put in 4-5 years on a low salary to foster development, and then everything clicks, leaving us with 4-5 years of high quality 1st XVIII football, I think it's a great get. Particularly given our lack of access to high end talent of later.

Let's hope it clicks for Glass this year, and that Nash also forges ahead. For glass, I think he has the fitness and the hardness, just need to find a spot in the team for him!

Train him on the wing I reckon!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think he could be a player, the major issue I see with Glass is that he lets mistakes ruin his game.

If he has a strong game, he has a strong game. If he makes 1 mistake, he drops his head and starts playing conservative and inevitably makes more mistakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Story I come across on my news feeds, thought I'd share.

Enjoy.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/conor-nash-conor-glass-afl-hawthorn-gaa-429983
Thanks Bumps. Article on the same site makes it clear Glass was trying to get home but had his flights cancelled.

I love listening to the Irish boys speak, and they were very positive in those articles.

Interesting to read that they think some Gaelic players train harder than in the AFL.

I think he could be a player, the major issue I see with Glass is that he lets mistakes ruin his game.

If he has a strong game, he has a strong game. If he makes 1 mistake, he drops his head and starts playing conservative and inevitably makes more mistakes.

Exactly. He over thinks and so lacks resilience.

Look at Poppy in contrast, whenever Poppy does something regrettable, he get over it immediately and focuses on the next contest.

Glass is really good when the ball is in front of him and it is his turn to go, sometimes he does brilliant things. However, when he is guarding a man or standing back guarding space, looking intently at the ball that is when he can get caught out by some of the finer points, like body on body work while standing at the fall of the ball can really catch him out e.g. his last game in 18 v the Saints.

I can’t see him making as a defender his lock down skills vis Strats, Hardwick, Chip et al., are not in the same ball park.

I can’t see him as an inside that requires a deep understanding of the game plus all the setups in the centre.

So that kinda leaves wing, and he is long long way behind Smith, Scully & Hendo, although two of them are rapidly approaching the end, or a defensive forward position like see ball attack ball, see opponents with ball and tackle him. The problem with that is learning all the leading patterns and staying out the way of the forwards who know their craft.

While I love the kid, I can’t see much of a role other than as a depth player for next year at least. It is a pity that we can’t find the right role to showcase his better skills like aerial contests, kicking and leg speed.

Glass imo was always going to be a combination of pace and size. He definitely has both, with an emphasis on his size.

But he doesn't have the mongrel in him to use his size in the AFL - he should be a mean and bullying player.

I think the Hawks tried to get that going by playing him as an inside mid last year in the VFL.

There are always going to be outside players better than him, even if he improves his outside game. So he needs to starting hurting teams/players on the inside (to go with his outside ability)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back