Are we in strife?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our staff have been called in obviously and understand the current climate, those laid off have been assured they'll be back. We're pretty much down to Brady, Ben and Rhyce. Doors have been closed. Staff are taking holidays where possible.
When Brady was a kid and Jade was hanging him from the Hills Hoist by his underpants, he was probably quietly thinking "I'll get you back one day...."

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Financially it'll be a struggle, but they'll get through. They will get government help
There’ll be no government help, this is going to wipe 250billion dollars from the GDP over this and the next financial year.. the AFL will want a bail out but perhaps they should have stopped pouring money into that s**t *in Gold Coast club and that s**t *in GWS club and this would have never been an issue

Apparently all five of the AFL umpiring departments full-time coaches have been sent home. The umpires themselves are part-time, but the coaches aren't. And we wonder why head office is overstaffed.

Apparently all five of the AFL umpiring departments full-time coaches have been sent home. The umpires themselves are part-time, but the coaches aren't. And we wonder why head office is overstaffed.

That is a pet peeve for me, with all the fecking money the AFL had, why the hell it cannot employ full time umpires?

That is a pet peeve for me, with all the fecking money the AFL had, why the hell it cannot employ full time umpires?
how many times do I have to say this....because umpires don't want to be full time. Its a short career so if you go full time you'll be attracting the dumb arses that can't hold down a real job. If you think the umps are bad now just imagine what they would be when the best ones piss off.

plus, what the hell are they going to do that they aren't already doing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how many times do I have to say this....because umpires don't want to be full time. Its a short career so if you go full time you'll be attracting the dumb arses that can't hold down a real job. If you think the umps are bad now just imagine what they would be when the best ones piss off.

plus, what the hell are they going to do that they aren't already doing?

Yeah I get that side of it, it annoys me when they bollocks up simple decisions (Along with everyone)

Thought of a 3 year contract for the AFL that allows lower tier Umpires to step up/step down as required in order to keep the standard up.

Mostly, id expect review of performances and continue training during the other times, I don't mind if they are invited to review the lower levels or do some interaction with teams to assist interpretation of the rules. There would be an opportunity somewhere to employ them in a capacity.

Yeah, I don't think his comments, or what I saw of them are all that bad. Are we, here, not also a little worried about our club?

I think Ben articulated that very well. I interpret his comments as along the lines of "Yes we will have to go back into some debt to get through but that's not the main concern. The main concern is to come out the other end, (whenever that may be) and then we go back to work on all fronts."

My view is that the AFL will not allow any club to go under, because they need 18 clubs to get the best possible TV Rights, when we are again back playing football. Also I would be amazed if the AFL, being a business, does not get some assistance from either or both Federal/State Governments, and along with the ability of the AFL to either borrow against Marvel Stadium, or use Marvel as security to guarantee individual clubs, find a way to get through this.

Bear in mind it is not so long ago that the State Government provided various levels of funds to assist Geelong build grandstands. Surely the survival of a club or clubs ranks above that in priority, so politically it would not be a good move if they don't come to the party here, unless it is beyond their financial resources.

In my opinion, the survival of football codes, though ranking way below the importance of physical health, does have a much greater significance from a mental health perspective.
Not having a go in the slightest at you Horace , but government funding depends entirely on who the government barracks for.
It really is that black and white, some might say “corrupt”.

And by the way geniuses... as the AFL has the NRL on its knees in these states - there is surely no way they give up on quite possibly being the only game left in town.

I think NRL is done and all that will be left is SOO. If we are f’ed, they must be Anabel Chong styled 100x more f’ed than us as 75% of their income comes from (RSL) leagues clubs which are now closed!

All the AFL need to do is hold like William Wallace and everything will bigger and better within 3 years of a vaccine being discovered.

I don't know about that. I live in Brisbane. AFL is still a niche sport and many born and bred QLDers hate the game. All it will mean is poor clubs like Cronulla will vanish.

I don't know about that. I live in Brisbane. AFL is still a niche sport and many born and bred QLDers hate the game. All it will mean is poor clubs like Cronulla will vanish.

Boomerfan99, given you are closer to that side of it, are they more pessimistic than the average AFL fan?

Boomerfan99, given you are closer to that side of it, are they more pessimistic than the average AFL fan?
Brisbane Broncos are here to stay k85. The average Brisbane fan loves them. Rugby League is also here to stay - maybe some clubs change but normally, during tough times, Aussie's stick together.
Also, my experience living in Brissy for 20 years now, plenty of league fans like afl and are happy to enjoy it as a second sport. Some suburbs like Ipswich are crazy staunch league and care for not much else including Union, Rules and Soccer.

Brisbane Broncos are here to stay k85. The average Brisbane fan loves them. Rugby League is also here to stay - maybe some clubs change but normally, during tough times, Aussie's stick together.
Also, my experience living in Brissy for 20 years now, plenty of league fans like afl and are happy to enjoy it as a second sport. Some suburbs like Ipswich are crazy staunch league and care for not much else including Union, Rules and Soccer.

D23D yeah I get the fan support, just more curious about the general mood, QLD would always be better off with having only the 3x NRL teams opposed to NSW, just would expect your media to be more reflecting greater concern over the smaller/less viable NRL clubs
Thank you though

So are Brisbane, 2 expansion clubs, maybe Melbourne. WB, Carlton won’t be much better.

Carlton is always an interesting one, you’d think they have higher membership levels to see them through

The AFL is a powerhouse compared to the NRL, if the AFL is on its knees with a critical wound. The NRL is bleeding out
Yeah, maybe the NRL as a business goes, but Rugby League doesn't go as it is too popular in QLD and NSW.
Also, until recently I didn't give two f#$$% for League but with the changing of AFL so much over the last few years, I'm starting to love league and the comparative hardness of the game

Yeah, maybe the NRL as a business goes, but Rugby League doesn't go as it is too popular in QLD and NSW.
Also, until recently I didn't give two f#$$% for League but with the changing of AFL so much over the last few years, I'm starting to love league and the comparative hardness of the game
I used too also, I hammered league when storm entered the comp for a couple of years, i’ll be honest with ya.. its batshit boring and if you think the game can get better, it doesnt.. its still static movement and weve seen the best the game has to offer..

Edit: The game will never die but the league will need a miracle Or a possible sports rort from Scott Morrison might save em

Remove this Banner Ad

Back