List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could make a case that he's GWS' 7-8th best player at this point, which is obscene. I reckon he'll be gettable in 2021, their nonexistent salary cap is about to start existing...
Very good point, mum is about to kick her favourite kid off the boob..

Will never understand why Josh passed on us (TWICE)! Had the opportunity to be paid and treated like a superstar at his childhood club. I suppose loyalty to a plastic franchise, younger than the internet fad of ‘Planking’ was the truly wise choice. Didn’t even spot him on Grand Final Day.

Will never understand why Josh passed on us (TWICE)! Had the opportunity to be paid and treated like a superstar at his childhood club. I suppose loyalty to a plastic franchise, younger than the internet fad of ‘Planking’ was the truly wise choice. Didn’t even spot him on Grand Final Day.
The lure of a premiership

Seemingly less and less attractive as we are starting to build an elite core of young players namely Simpkin, Thomas, LDU, Zurhaar, Scott. The quintet will be our premiership big 5, they will dominant areas of the center square, wing and half forward. Where does kelly fit into this, he comes to us as a 27 y.o who seemingly has exceptional skills but what about his mental capacity. He is a cherry type player and not a player to build around. He has rejected us twice but only two sign short term extension. This to me shows that he is interested to come to us but not at the time when we knocked on the door. So he turns RFA by the end of 2021 at by 2022, ziebell and cunnington would be in their twilight, higgins turns 33 so kelly would be a very useful ready made veteran to step into the middle. So all-in-all, Kelly is certainly a pretty good player but certain not the messiah we deemed him to be in 2017. He is probably a notch above Polec. Also our warchest now is a blessing in disguise as due to the financial disaster affecting the AFL, player power will be greatly diminished hence it would cost the clubs a lot less to retain the players as their main concern post virus will be to secure their short to medium career.

loyalty and potential success with his mates > money
He made the right decision.

The whole romantic "barracked for North as a kid thing" that we value as supporters is very different for players/family once they get into a club environment. We had a good crack at getting superstar players and failed - at least our club was proactive and tried things.

Very good point, mum is about to kick her favourite kid off the boob..

Be more specific please.

1585088342524.jpeg
images
1585088613992.jpeg
r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

loyalty and potential success with his mates > money
He made the right decision.

The whole romantic "barracked for North as a kid thing" that we value as supporters is very different for players/family once they get into a club environment. We had a good crack at getting superstar players and failed - at least our club was proactive and tried things.

While this has been happening, we inadvertently did quite well at procuring lesser know players who turned out to be gems, this was definitely a bonus so perhaps we are onto something. Perhaps our future targets should be the anderson, higgins, polec type who are decent but could take a few extra steps further and we the club for them to do so. It's very rare that you can get ready made superstars unless there are special circumstances. All of the superstar who moved in recent time have special circumstances. Judd moved due to drug culture at WC, Franklin achieved all and needs big cash bonus that he can never get at hawthorn, Dangerfield wanted to go back to family and the same goes to Tim Kelly.

I've brought this up before but I'll mention it again...

In 2017 I did an I Ching reading, first one for a long time, specifically asking if we'd get Josh. The answer was essentially "No, but it's for the best and you'll be better off in the long run."

Three years later that's looking pretty on the money.

In 2017 I remember saying that taking short term money over north’s long term offer is riskier considering the possibility some campaigner fu**s a pangolin that creates a worldwide pandemic that cripples the financial viability of the league.

I don’t usually drop in ‘i told you so’...

No you didn't. You said he'd fall off a unicycle while in quarantine and suffer skin failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back