Season 2020 & the money if cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

It becomes a crisis if everyone acts as if all the clubs can continue operating on their current operating cost structure.
The AFL getting a loan to help clubs is one thing, but the whole industry is going to have to do some serious cost cutting, and that MUST start with player salaries.

Something tells me the AFL is regretting not agreeing to the revenue sharing deal the AFLPA wanted.
and that the AFLPA wont put that on the table again for a very long time.

something tells me that if the players arent flexible, no one is going to give them what they want next time.

You'd think so, but as I understand it, player contracts as individual things...~800 players wont all agree.

There will be, at most, 5 or 6 weeks of empty stadiums. The AFL will be fine. It will be the richest sport in the country by solar margins whatever happens

People have no *ingg idea if they think Australia is in a similar situation to Europe of even America. The first is in the grip of a genuine catastrophic epidemic and the second is half way there.

Australia has had a few dozen community transmissions with small numbers not of known source. We have just enforced a two week self isolation for anyone coming from overseas.

Wow, a week on and I bet you are regretting that call !.

Wow, a week on and I bet you are regretting that call !.

The first sentence has been proved wrong.....but I am sticking by the rest of it

Given the level of community infection, this shut down should see the virus eliminated in Australia and the AFL to resume at the end of May

The first sentence has been proved wrong.....but I am sticking by the rest of it

Given the level of community infection, this shut down should see the virus eliminated in Australia and the AFL to resume at the end of May

I hope you're right, but that sounds a bit optimistic.
It will be a miracle if we're back playing on 1 June.

I think the next two weeks will tell the tale as to weather we come out of the quick it or it goes on for a long time.

Yeah I agree.

The shutdown either lets them get on top of it or they don't get on top of it and the season will be a write off

Standing down most of the AFL staff is a pretty clear sign this won’t be sorted in 8 weeks.....

Not sure the AFL employs a team of epidemiologists nor has a seat at the national cabinet

I would have thought that keeping open the option of a June restart suggests they have been briefed of a possibility that this will be got under control

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure the AFL employs a team of epidemiologists nor has a seat at the national cabinet

I would have thought that keeping open the option of a June restart suggests they have been briefed of a possibility that this will be got under control

Yeah, but the 'national cabinet' talks to lots of them, and they made it fairly clear that when things get shut down, they expect they'll be down for at least 6 months.

Whether it's going to be a five-week finals series – I know Gill said it'd only be four, but I think there's potentially a sting in the tail there."
Might – if the league cannot resume by mid-July I have calculated – the AFL decide to play the competition in a manner akin to the old “Foster’s Cup” as a pure single-elimination tournament? An 18-team single-elimination tournament – seeded based on 2019 placings I would presume – would take six or seven weeks to complete. If we allow a couple of extra weekends in October so the grand final would be on the weekend of 10 October, the league could have such a format and not have to resume until late August. That lies five weeks after the calculated limit for a partial round-robin or even Swiss- or McMahon-system fixture list (the league did something somewhat akin during the last few rounds of the wartime 1943 season) followed by a normal finals system.

Briefed by who ?. Scomo ?.

God help us.

Spot on, hiding behind being able to stream sometime in the future??

I'm sure that would have been the theory (direct and indirect control over the media would just be a bonus...Officially).

I wonder what the AFL could get if they sold their media arm...It'd be fire sale prices to be sure, but they might need to.

I'm sure that would have been the theory (direct and indirect control over the media would just be a bonus...Officially).

I wonder what the AFL could get if they sold their media arm...It'd be fire sale prices to be sure, but they might need to.

What would the market pay, who would it be of any value for.

The AFL Commission need to address their role in all of this.

What would the market pay, who would it be of any value for.

The AFL Commission need to address their role in all of this.

The rights to provide content for the AFL website, etc. would presumably be worth something.

Until the owners of the club decide they need money...
As for West Coast, its owners, the WAFC, urgently need the money to prop up the ailing second-tier WAFL league, which was in an extremely parlous state before the COVID-19 pandemic. It is certainly possible that 2019 will prove forever the last WAFL season as we know it, and the WAFC may not know what to replace the WAFL with if they cannot keep it operating.

The WAFC also has the question of Fremantle. Fremantle is actually the fourth-poorest of the fourteen clubs from traditional Australian Rules states, ahead only of Port Adelaide and the three poorest Victorian clubs of Melbourne, North Melbourne and St. Kilda.

So if the WAFC’s priorities be the WAFL and Fremantle – and I imagine they will be since the AFL will not wish to lose the DockersWest Coast may not be that secure.

As for West Coast, its owners, the WAFC, urgently need the money to prop up the ailing second-tier WAFL league, which was in an extremely parlous state before the COVID-19 pandemic. It is certainly possible that 2019 will prove forever the last WAFL season as we know it, and the WAFC may not know what to replace the WAFL with if they cannot keep it operating.

The WAFC also has the question of Fremantle. Fremantle is actually the fourth-poorest of the fourteen clubs from traditional Australian Rules states, ahead only of Port Adelaide and the three poorest Victorian clubs of Melbourne, North Melbourne and St. Kilda.

So if the WAFC’s priorities be the WAFL and Fremantle – and I imagine they will be since the AFL will not wish to lose the DockersWest Coast may not be that secure.

Did you quote that, can you link it?

I can see the WA Govt seeing the value in the WAFC & its AFL clubs particularly given the funding of Optus Stadium is underwritten* by AFL footy/the Dockers & Eagles.
* the AFL wont be able to pay so underwritten is in a technical sense only,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back