Review Round 1, 2020 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Adams did a lot right, but fumbled like a guy who is underdone. Looks like he needed a few weeks of Gametime.
To me Adams does not look like our answer as a key position player. He played a poor game and gets beaten once the ball hits the ground because his reaction time is slow. Got caught flat footed a few times and basically played the same was as he did in the finals. He is excellent in the air but I can’t recall him catching anyone and is poor below his knees. He is also not key position size. I think I would try Payne instead as he is too good for the NEAFL.

To me Adams does not look like our answer as a key position player. He played a poor game and gets beaten once the ball hits the ground because his reaction time is slow. Got caught flat footed a few times and basically played the same was as he did in the finals. He is excellent in the air but I can’t recall him catching anyone and is poor below his knees. He is also not key position size. I think I would try Payne instead as he is too good for the NEAFL.

I think the point is he’s not key position size. If we’d played Walker instead of him on the weekend then he would have had to play on opponents much quicker than him which he really wouldn’t have been suited to.

Adams didn’t play well and he’s borderline best 22 but the weekends game showed why we want to play him instead of someone like Walker.

Doesn't look like it matters now Disgusting effort all pre season to play the way the opposition wants you too.Got big heads, blessing 8n disguise that season has stopped.
Oh by the way Rayner laughing with the opposition players after the game tells me where he's at with football.
It was a disappointing game of football but to single out a young bloke for having a smile on his face after the game, given all that is going on is way overs...give the boy a break and let him be a human with his emotions for heavens sake.

2020: Daniel McStay - 2 goals 0 behinds = 100% goal kicking accuracy.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
highlight of the match for me.
he owned that pack mark and kicked with authority, very pleased for him.
I'm glad we got to see one game, for what it is worth, although at the same time I feel it may have been more responsible to not play.

It was disappointing to not get the win, and it's hard to know how much the shorter quarters hurt us. Either way Hawks were very disciplined in their defensive structures as they always are.

The positives:
McStay shutdown all the critics of him in this game and showed what everyone had been hoping he would. Contested marks and straight goal kicking.
Rayner did a few nice things and I thought took the game on in congestion and didn't get caught. Continued on from his preseason well.
Neale, was everywhere really. Also seemed a bit angry and was really getting into the Hawks boys early.

The negatives:
Stef Martin. I think it was no surprise that when we lost Stef in our midfield rotations, we started to really struggle to control the ball from congestion. The Big O tries hard, but he seemed to really struggle and I thought he was comprehensively beaten by Ceglar. We will need to find a number 1 ruckman moving forward, and I havent seen enough from Archie to show us he has what it takes. Our weakest position of depth clearly.
The forwards, today I felt we overall struggled to keep the ball in our forward line. We just seemed to constantly break down at the half forward line, it gets so frustrating watching Berry streaming forward from the wing on a fast break and Cameron can't get separation from his man in a wide open 50. You just know that if we had a jack riewoldt he would be 2m free from his opponent for an easy lace out pass.

Other thoughts:
Witherden looked much fitter out there and noticably more lean.
Hipwood looked stronger too
Mccluggagw had a quiet game.
Starcevich showed he has some toe and I thought was solid.
Answerth I thought got beaten a few times but was ok, tried using the non preferred a few times which is good practise, but turned it over because of it.
Robertson I thought was good but still looked like he thought it was an under 18s game. Just a few short kicks and just short little mental switch offs. Didn't seem to tire too much though.
Bailey didn't do as much as I wanted from him but did have one spectacular tackle and then in50 which lead to a goal.
Rich was brilliant and really did an excellent job of driving us forward from half back. His attack on that contest to beat two Hawks to save a goal showed the player he has become down back.
Andrews was solid and basically shutdown Patton.
Gardner and Adams had a bit of a dirty day. They both should of given Burgoyne a bath but he is still such a smart player.
The experiences mids in zorko, lyons had a poor game I thought. Both really failed to turn it in our favour when it mattered and didn't adjust to the change in ruckman.

Do any of you critics think you might factor in that our boys were forced to Travel in the midst of Coronavirus concerns? Leaving family and friends with uncertainty as to what might happen? Hawthorn hopped in their cars and drove to the ground. If you are off 5% in this comp you are gone. Reality check required.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do any of you critics think you might factor in that our boys were forced to Travel in the midst of Coronavirus concerns? Leaving family and friends with uncertainty as to what might happen? Hawthorn hopped in their cars and drove to the ground. If you are off 5% in this comp you are gone. Reality check required.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app
100%

Everyone goes out saying they're well prepared and look focused and angry but those little niggles mentally can sap your energy and I jut feel that once they got that little break on us it was too hard to fire up.

Positives . Hipwood .Still convinced he'll be a total gun , has the size ,pace and agility to create havoc. McStay .Most assured I've ever seen him on his attack on the ball , possible he's a late maturer , still young enough to improve . Rayner , looks trim ,breaking a few lines , going to be a really good player.
Witherden . Not the greatest of games but he looks a lot fitter.

Negatives. Disposal under pressure just really untidy. No Hodge . Yesterday shows how much we miss him , the backline got a bit shambolic at times. No Stef. Always going to be a bigger loss than people imagine for his around the ground work and muscle at stoppages

Looked like a middle of the road side today. Still a lot of work to do. Disjointed and slow in defense, a lot of fumbles, rushing disposals and some poor kicking across the board. Skills in general were ordinary. Hawthorne superior in each of those areas. Worpel, mitchell, o'meara, took the chocolates today. I do hope todays loss sticks in their craw, they should be dissapointed and cranky with their performance. I dont want to single out any player, none of them looked like they weren't trying. Just a lousy performance all round.

I will say that when birchall pulled out maybe lester or hinge would have been a better option positionally. Having said that it was good to see devrob get a run, he looked very composed for a first gamer. I dont know what his disposal efficiency was but it looked like he hit his target by hand or foot more often than not. We have a player there.

Lets hope the players keep safe and fit, and if the season does restart they are ready and raring to go.
Devon's DE was 71% according to the Fanfooty website. Good for young players to get a taste early so they know where they need to improve.

100%

Everyone goes out saying they're well prepared and look focused and angry but those little niggles mentally can sap your energy and I jut feel that once they got that little break on us it was too hard to fire up.

Positives . Hipwood .Still convinced he'll be a total gun , has the size ,pace and agility to create havoc. McStay .Most assured I've ever seen him on his attack on the ball , possible he's a late maturer , still young enough to improve . Rayner , looks trim ,breaking a few lines , going to be a really good player.
Witherden . Not the greatest of games but he looks a lot fitter.

Negatives. Disposal under pressure just really untidy. No Hodge . Yesterday shows how much we miss him , the backline got a bit shambolic at times. No Stef. Always going to be a bigger loss than people imagine for his around the ground work and muscle at stoppages
And even more reason why round one should never have gone ahead and really the round should be stricken from the record.

No doubt the proponents for round one will be pleased that we still got one round of 2020 in despite a 2-3 month (minimum) gap on the cards and we got some normalcy in our lives for the weekend. :rolleyes:

It was a disappointing game of football but to single out a young bloke for having a smile on his face after the game, given all that is going on is way overs...give the boy a break and let him be a human with his emotions for heavens sake.
That is Rayners personality. Would prefer to see him smiling than frowning. Agree, give him a break

And even more reason why round one should never have gone ahead and really the round should be stricken from the record.

No doubt the proponents for round one will be pleased that we still got one round of 2020 in despite a 2-3 month (minimum) gap on the cards and we got some normalcy in our lives for the weekend. :rolleyes:
Yep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the overly negative people -if someone like Mitch Robbo struggled to mentally switch on, how do you think guys like Bailey, Starc etc went?

The fact is - this game was like no other, and we lost to a team that was much older and more experienced. Given the circumstances, it isn't all that surprising is it?

It was disappointing to not get the win, and it's hard to know how much the shorter quarters hurt us. Either way Hawks were very disciplined in their defensive structures as they always are.

The positives:
McStay shutdown all the critics of him in this game and showed what everyone had been hoping he would. Contested marks and straight goal kicking.
Rayner did a few nice things and I thought took the game on in congestion and didn't get caught. Continued on from his preseason well.
Neale, was everywhere really. Also seemed a bit angry and was really getting into the Hawks boys early.

The negatives:
Stef Martin. I think it was no surprise that when we lost Stef in our midfield rotations, we started to really struggle to control the ball from congestion. The Big O tries hard, but he seemed to really struggle and I thought he was comprehensively beaten by Ceglar. We will need to find a number 1 ruckman moving forward, and I havent seen enough from Archie to show us he has what it takes. Our weakest position of depth clearly.
The forwards, today I felt we overall struggled to keep the ball in our forward line. We just seemed to constantly break down at the half forward line, it gets so frustrating watching Berry streaming forward from the wing on a fast break and Cameron can't get separation from his man in a wide open 50. You just know that if we had a jack riewoldt he would be 2m free from his opponent for an easy lace out pass.

Other thoughts:
Witherden looked much fitter out there and noticably more lean.
Hipwood looked stronger too
Mccluggagw had a quiet game.
Starcevich showed he has some toe and I thought was solid.
Answerth I thought got beaten a few times but was ok, tried using the non preferred a few times which is good practise, but turned it over because of it.
Robertson I thought was good but still looked like he thought it was an under 18s game. Just a few short kicks and just short little mental switch offs. Didn't seem to tire too much though.
Bailey didn't do as much as I wanted from him but did have one spectacular tackle and then in50 which lead to a goal.
Rich was brilliant and really did an excellent job of driving us forward from half back. His attack on that contest to beat two Hawks to save a goal showed the player he has become down back.
Andrews was solid and basically shutdown Patton.
Gardner and Adams had a bit of a dirty day. They both should of given Burgoyne a bath but he is still such a smart player.
The experiences mids in zorko, lyons had a poor game I thought. Both really failed to turn it in our favour when it mattered and didn't adjust to the change in ruckman.
WOW...really? Dan had 8 possessions in total. Took 3 marks in total and 2 goals and lots think he's turned the corner? (27 votes in the best five players!!!) Admittedly it was a better game than his usual but to say he has shutdown his critics is a little bit over the top. I sincerely hope Dan quickly continues to improve to an acceptable standard for a key forward but he really does have a long long way to go just yet. Fingers crossed.

For all the overly negative people -if someone like Mitch Robbo struggled to mentally switch on, how do you think guys like Bailey, Starc etc went?

The fact is - this game was like no other, and we lost to a team that was much older and more experienced. Given the circumstances, it isn't all that surprising is it?
Hence the repeated point that the round should never have proceeded in the first place, but I guess only the negative people are making that point. :rolleyes:

Hence the repeated point that the round should never have proceeded in the first place, but I guess only the negative people are making that point. :rolleyes:

Im sure the 80% of club And AFL employees that are now unemployed are disappointed they tried.

A lot of people working in the afl & clubs got to take one more pay packet before looking for a new job / applying for welfare. Blind Freddie could see it was just delaying the inevitable & starting the season was futile, but everyone needs to live & I'm sure it meant a lot to them.

I'm sure there's some that aren't negative about the performance but also think the AFL should've have kicked off. They're completely unrelated thoughts.

WOW...really? Dan had 8 possessions in total. Took 3 marks in total and 2 goals and lots think he's turned the corner? (27 votes in the best five players!!!) Admittedly it was a better game than his usual but to say he has shutdown his critics is a little bit over the top. I sincerely hope Dan quickly continues to improve to an acceptable standard for a key forward but he really does have a long long way to go just yet. Fingers crossed.
This is a good post. McStay had 3 disposals in the first half and managed 2 goals for the game. Hardly set the world on fire, but I suspect Dan is going to take some confidence out of the game and that is important.

I was disappointed we really don’t have a plan B.
It seems a lot of our scoring comes from the opponents mistake, when we play the top teams they will make fewer mistake, therefore limiting our scoring
On a personal level, I find “kick and hope“ football is boring and unattractive.

Back