Positives thread Swans 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Putting with Mills, I hope I've read that right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm. Kerry? And were you born so close to Xmas bookings for bday dinners were a real pain?
No and yes! Everyone is always going to Xmas parties!!! One present, instead of two!!!

But I'm old now, so I drink twice much on both days to make up for what I missed as a kid! :wineglass::wineglass::wineglass::wineglass:

I jumped the gun. Not content to give sports fans the season off, Neil Diamond has reworked Sweet Caroline as the on message “Hands, Washing Hands”.

A couple of positives

Watching the highlights of the AFL's rerun of the 2017 Essendon game (back when Daniher could walk) where despite shite goal umpiring we squeezed in a one point win after the siren thanks to Papley's spoil, Rampe's quick kick on the outside of his boot and Rohan's strong contested mark on the goal line.

We've turned over 17 players who played seniors in that 2017 season and plenty of NEAFL players. We've played without genuine tap ruckman for the last 2 years. We've loitered lower on the ladder than many fans have ever known, rubbing shoulders with the likes of St Kilda, Carlton, North, Gold Coast and trash like Essendon, but we've always remained competitive. Even in at our worst we competed to win. We showed the bloods spirit and we fought to the end. We saw guys like Papley, Heeney, Florent, Hewett, Dawson, Hayward, McCartin, Blakey, Rowbottom, Aliir and Mills step up to lead a new generation of Bloods and some of them are becoming genuine stars of the game. We've recruited well with a long term vision to build a generational team. We've hung onto talent we might have lost and we've learned from our mistakes, avoided signing high risk players like Daniher. We've got the security of most of our key players re-signed and committed to our future. We've got a great leadership group who all contribute to driving the team on and off field. We've got our ruck going again to give first use to a fresh midfield of hard tough kids steered under the steady hand of a pair of genuine bulls. We've injected speed, sharp kicking and ferocious attack into a game plan fit for the 20s.

Is it any wonder we're undefeated at the end of March ? We could well remain undefeated until the end of June or July. We have a player leading the Coleman medal and quite possibly the Brownlow. We're solidly locked in the eight and Buddy will be right for next game. Does it get any better ?

Don’t think our recruiting has been good at all, actually shocking imo plus what we let go

But not the thread for that

Complete opposite thread for that actually ;)

Complete opposite thread for that actually ;)
We can start a Realism thread too? The more discussion during this extended offseason, the better

Don’t think our recruiting has been good at all, actually shocking imo plus what we let go

But not the thread for that

I'm turning this into a positive.

Personally I think our recruiting in recent seasons has been great (especially our drafting).

2019 - Too early to call but I like the look of Stephens and Gould. Taylor and Werner could also be quite astute picks.

2018 - Blakey is an academy selection. But Rowbottom looks to be an incredible selection (and how we got that pick is even better). I also quite liked McInerney's game on the weekend.

2017 - We didn't know Ling was going to have this many injuries but McCartin was a great pickup and Stoddart is showing signs.

2016 - Florent (A player who can go in and under and break away from congestion, BIG TICK). Hayward easily best 22 another tick. Maibaum has had injuries but shown signs. Ronke as a pick up in the rookie draft was also good value.

2015 - Mills, Dawson, Papley and COR.... Don't really need to say anything else.

Yeah we have missed a few selections but all clubs will, personally I think our drafting has been exceptional.

Now our trading.

2019 - Taylor, Gray and Brand - It's early days but each of these players will play a role for us. No one cost an arm and a leg as well.

2018 - Clarke and Thurlow. Thurlow was a bit of a bust, but Clarke is still a role player. Both were picks after 60 that we wouldn't have likely used.
Traded out Hanners who is continuing to struggle with injury. Rohan is good value in a top side but was an enigma with us.

2017 - Traded out Sam Murray - In hindsight that worked out quite well.

2016 - yeah we ****ed up. But Nanks was behind Naismith and Sinclair at the time. We also didn't have the space to keep Titch. The trades combined with others helped net us - Florent, Hayward and Maibaum.

2015 - Jetta for Sinclair (has worked out well for us and WCE). Bird for points to go towards Mills.

We have to remember we also had a trade ban and salary cap issues from contending for a flag. Personally I think we are rebuilding the list very well.

I'm turning this into a positive.

Personally I think our recruiting in recent seasons has been great (especially our drafting).

2019 - Too early to call but I like the look of Stephens and Gould. Taylor and Werner could also be quite astute picks.

2018 - Blakey is an academy selection. But Rowbottom looks to be an incredible selection (and how we got that pick is even better). I also quite liked McInerney's game on the weekend.

2017 - We didn't know Ling was going to have this many injuries but McCartin was a great pickup and Stoddart is showing signs.

2016 - Florent (A player who can go in and under and break away from congestion, BIG TICK). Hayward easily best 22 another tick. Maibaum has had injuries but shown signs. Ronke as a pick up in the rookie draft was also good value.

2015 - Mills, Dawson, Papley and COR.... Don't really need to say anything else.

Yeah we have missed a few selections but all clubs will, personally I think our drafting has been exceptional.

Now our trading.

2019 - Taylor, Gray and Brand - It's early days but each of these players will play a role for us. No one cost an arm and a leg as well.

2018 - Clarke and Thurlow. Thurlow was a bit of a bust, but Clarke is still a role player. Both were picks after 60 that we wouldn't have likely used.
Traded out Hanners who is continuing to struggle with injury. Rohan is good value in a top side but was an enigma with us.

2017 - Traded out Sam Murray - In hindsight that worked out quite well.

2016 - yeah we f’ed up. But Nanks was behind Naismith and Sinclair at the time. We also didn't have the space to keep Titch. The trades combined with others helped net us - Florent, Hayward and Maibaum.

2015 - Jetta for Sinclair (has worked out well for us and WCE). Bird for points to go towards Mills.

We have to remember we also had a trade ban and salary cap issues from contending for a flag. Personally I think we are rebuilding the list very well.

Our drafting has been very good recently.

Our drafting has been very good recently.

Agreed, not sure why we have had so much negativity over it.

We have had massive list turnover in recent years and it takes time for kids to come into their own. Think the club is certainly heading in the right direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back