News Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Well, Latham’s comment takes the cake for stupid comment of the week for sure. There’s a reason these things start in China and that’s because they treat animals like s**t. Any group of people that would fry a live dog in a wok isn’t worth my time.

Chuck the campaigners in aswell

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Well, Latham’s comment takes the cake for stupid comment of the week for sure. There’s a reason these things start in China and that’s because they treat animals like s**t. Any group of people that would fry a live dog in a wok isn’t worth my time.
This started in China. Other fatal and highly infectious diseases didn't. We need to learn lessons without extrapolating and generalising about one country, especially one as big and populous as China.

I can spare some flexibility in blame for the typical lawyer/economics/arts degree pleb in government, but NSW Health is unforgivable.

It's a joke.

Everyone responsible for this, all the way up to the minister, needs to be dragged by their ankles thru a trench full of sludge from a septic tank on national television, for starters.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It's a good thing you haven't done any of that.

I have explained plenty of stuff related to the thread topic, stuff that you have acknowledged dozens of times.

The political wanking is for the clueless. I suppose the zealots have to shoe horn their prejudices in wherever they can.

It's a joke.

Everyone responsible for this, all the way up to the minister, needs to be dragged by their ankles thru a trench full of sludge from a septic tank on national television, for starters.

Val was wondering about positives, I cant help but think going forward Public Health may get a boost

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No, all benefits will get an extra $550 a fortnight apparently.
I know why they give these things to pensioners from a political point of view, but they are the main ones whose financial circumstances don't actually change from the shutdown. They will end up being a long way ahead.

I have explained plenty of stuff related to the thread topic, stuff that you have acknowledged dozens of times.

The political wanking is for the clueless.

That's true, but when you aren't doing that you chuck in as much political noise as anyone as well.

Look at it this way...

Criticism of Trump right now doesn't need to be classified as partisan, because he has clearly failed repeatedly to deliver the sort of response you'd expect from a leader. Well that I'd expect anyway. Classifying meetings about this situation so experts who know what they are on about cannot attend or see the minutes is beyond stupid. Blaming the opposition or pretending it's not real is weak and ignoring medical expertise (which he appears to be bragging about at the moment) is downright stupid.

The Morrison government, as much as they s**t me, went against their ideological dna to assist welfare beneficiaries very early, that deserves credit. Other decisions they have made will need to be measured against what we end up with in terms of outcomes. But they seem to be taking this seriously enough at the moment.

NSW gov has acted reasonably well, apart from the cruise ship * up, which is pretty massive. That on its own could be enough to push the state into a medical crisis over the next month.

As much as you don't like Andrews, his government have coped with this crisis well, and on the simple metric of keeping potentially infected people on the boats they came in on has done way more to protect his state and its people that the NSW government. Whether school holidays now is a help or a hinderence will be something we learn about soon.

Coronavirus crisis: HMAS Stirling could treat infected cruise passengers

HMAS Stirling at Garden Island, off Rockingham, would be the most viable option for a field hospital to look after COVID-19 infected cruise passengers.
There is already a health centre there used by Navy personnel.
Premier Mark McGowan this morning said he was working with the Federal Government to utilise a defence facility, rather than in a WA hospital, to look after those needing medical attention.

HMAS Stirling is the Navy’s west coast operational, ship repair and maintenance base, including the submarine force.
Another option would be RAAF Base Pearce, Bullsbrook. A less likely option would be Irwin Barracks, Karrakatta, the Army’s HQ 13 Brigade and Army Reserve training and logistics support.
Seven passengers onboard the Artania cruise ship, currently moored off Fremantle, have tested positive for COVID-19. The numbers are expected to rise.
The Artania is carrying 832 passengers and 515 crew — none of whom are Australian. It’s understood many of those on board are German.
The advanced flying training base for Air Force and Navy pilots
“We would like the Commonwealth to assist with that. We would like those passengers, if they have to, to go into a Commonwealth facility, potentially a defence base,” Mr McGowan told Sunrise this morning.
Garden Island is a Commonwealth-owned narrow island about 10 km long and 1.5 km wide. There is a 4.2 kilometre causeway linking the island with the mainland.
HMAS Stirling is on the island’s south-east, facing Cockburn Sound. Some 700 personnel live at the base.
There is a helicopter support facility located on the southern end of Garden Island.

I know why they give these things to pensioners from a political point of view, but they are the main ones whose financial circumstances don't actually change from the shutdown. They will end up being a long way ahead.

My mum is on a pension aided by super, though she wouldn't have needed it before the GFC. She struggles week to week at the moment. She may end up far enough ahead to spend a bit more money on her grandkids birthday presents and may be able to pay for her own flights to visit us (well... If airline prices don't increase too much but they probably will,) when this is over and if it doesn't kill her.

Most pensioners spent their lives paying taxes and building this country. We should give them enough money to live without stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back