Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Website-Logo1.jpg

Very sad 💔 :cry:

Well, we unfortunately knew that had to be on the way, after we had to let them go. They wouldn't have survived without us before coronavirus, and they can't now. Just really, really sad. Hopefully someone behind the scenes at Preston can pick the club up after it's all done and dusted and reignite the Bullants in a few years.

Well, we unfortunately knew that had to be on the way, after we had to let them go. They wouldn't have survived without us before coronavirus, and they can't now. Just really, really sad. Hopefully someone behind the scenes at Preston can pick the club up after it's all done and dusted and reignite the Bullants in a few years.

Sadly enough it was only a matter of time. :(

Just received this email ...

e1a90cfb-5915-44f7-b86b-7ef894bc1df2.jpg

Dear Aph,

As the enormity of COVID-19 is now felt right across the world, our industry and our clubs have not been spared from the brutal economic impact that has resulted. Thankfully, the health impact to the football community has been very mild to this point and we continue to take all necessary precautions to keep our people safe. We urge all our members to continue to do likewise and look after the most vulnerable members of our community.

I wanted to take the opportunity to update you on the decisions that we have been forced to make as a result of the AFLW season being cancelled and the AFL season postponed. As of today, approximately 75 per cent of our workforce has been stood down and a number of other staff have been advised that we are no longer in a position to continue their employment. The most savage cuts have been in football where the AFL have asked clubs to reduce their soft cap expenditure by $1 million this year, with further significant reductions planned for 2021.

With the start of the VFL season also delayed, the financial impact of the COVID-19 situation has now flowed through to our second tier competition. In the last 48 hours, we have made the incredibly difficult decision that the alignment between Carlton and the Northern Blues was no longer financially viable in the current situation. With the Carlton Football Club no longer in a position whereby it could financially support the operations of the Northern Blues, Directors of the Northern Blues requested the support of the Carlton Football Club to assist in finalising the operations of the Northern Blues and determine the very best way to manage the individual situations of all Northern Blues staff, players and key stakeholders.

This decision is made even more difficult by virtue of the fact that the alignment between Carlton and the Northern Blues had never been stronger, and I offer my thanks to President Stephen Papal, Coach Josh Fraser, Captain Tom Wilson and all the players, coaches, staff, volunteers, Board members and loyal Northern Blues members and supporters. It is an unprecedented situation and it is incredibly sad that the Northern Blues Football Club will end as a result of the economic implications of COVID-19.

The future of the AFL’s second tier competition is very unclear at this stage. Our plan is to reassess the situation once the AFL make longer-term decisions on what a future second tier and underage elite competition look like. Members can rest assured that we will be well prepared to immediately respond once these decisions become clearer and we are currently working with Northern Blues players to ensure they have access to ongoing support and resources. Should the VFL season go ahead, Carlton will be offered the opportunity to enter a team of our own and we would obviously be leaning heavily on existing Northern Blues players to complement our listed players.

Our 156th year of existence is certainly proving to be a challenging one. Whilst we are yet to fully survey the full financial damage, there is no doubt it will be significant. The reality is that we have faced adversity on many occasions before, and not only survived – but flourished. Nothing will be different this time around.

To our members, your messages of support to our players, coaches and staff have been greatly appreciated. To be thinking of others when so many of you are experiencing the same challenges that we currently face is extremely humbling and reminds us once again of the enormous responsibility we have to you all.

We are currently working behind the scenes on what our membership products will look like for 2020 and for the short term future. We have heard loud and clear the suggestions that our members have been providing and it is our intention to provide you with as many options as possible. At this point, it is the clear objective of the AFL to run a 17-round season, but we also understand that some of our options need to be flexible enough to consider any further changes that the AFL might be forced to make.

While our AFL playing group is no longer at Ikon Park, they will remain committed and professional in maintaining their fitness standards. Our Director of High Performance Andrew Russell has provided every player with an individualised training program. This will ensure our players will remain ready for when the AFL decides it is safe for football to resume in 2020.

In closing, I wanted to take the opportunity to congratulate our entire AFLW team of players, coaches and staff. To be sitting in a preliminary final when the season was cancelled is gut-wrenching and on behalf of all of our members, I wanted to say congratulations on an outstanding season. Like the AFL competition, the current situation will also have an impact on the women’s game moving forward, however rest assured we will be providing our AFLW players, coaches and staff with all the support possible to ensure we are hungrier than ever to continue the rapid improvement of our women’s football program and put us in the best position for 2021.

Thanks again for all the great support, we are very lucky to have the members that we do.

Cain Liddle
Chief Executive
Member ID: 21499500

Maybe it's too soon and I'm a callous, but any chance this might be a better result for the CFC in the long run? Are we adopting the "new waste a crisis" mantra and pushing for the stand alone VFL club we may have wanted?

That aside, sad day for the Bullants. I hope we see them in some shape or form in the future.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wow Carlton have officially ended our alignment with the Northern Blues as well as Josh Fraser as coach, we will be playing as a stand alone team when footy resumes not sure who will be the coach hopefully someone with a similar mindset to Teague in terms of the way they will play, what will LUKE Powers role be as the head of development? could he coach as well? doubtful but they surely have someone in mind for the role if not that is concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know there is a lot more important things to worry about in the world right now, but I do feel truly sad that one of the first VFA clubs, formed over a century and change ago, is now extinct, for all intents purposes. Also i will miss going to VFL games at Cramer St. Charming Suburban Ground, with Preston Market just a Bee's Pee Pee away

Vale Preston FC 😥😥😥

Remove this Banner Ad

Back