Are we in strife?

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm actually saving money while this s**t is happening. Thankfully my employment is at zero risk.

I'm going to calculate what I have saved in beer expenditure at the footy and add that to memberships.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

You might go insane if you have kids but if you can keep a job during this period you'll save a lot of money.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Carlton just cut ties with Northern Blues....

I genuinely don't understand the logic. Is it just to save temporarily and then they'll go back next year? Will they fork out extra cash next year for their own VFL team? I mean... they HAVE to have a VFL team to be affiliated with in some form for when the competitions start back up, right?

Read this if you have stomach, the key fantasy though is this:
"The most vulnerable clubs, such as St Kilda, Gold Coast, North Melbourne and Melbourne, are talking as though everyone is in the same boat, citing the need for nine games a week under the broadcast deal. "

In what fantasy world are GWS not more vulnerable than us - they literally are only in existence due to subsidisation by other teams? Brisbane? Westerns? Port were on their knees not long ago. There is a narrative here that is based on what message people want to portray.

I still maintain that all but 2-3 clubs are in good enough financial condition to last more than a season without funding. We're in a batch in the middle that will struggle within a single season without significant measures. GC, GWS, St Kilda, Brisbane are amongst those that I know are in for a world of pain without massive golden gifts from the heavens.

FWIW the AFL should completely wear this. They've spent 3 decades making themselves bigger and the biggest clubs stronger while intentionally keeping the rest of the comp on life support to squeeze their non preferred clubs and achieve strategic goals. Perhaps instead of paying themselves to spin PR and cripple heartland clubs they should have been making each and every club bullet proof.

P.S. Sorry mods, meant to put this in the strife thread - feel free to move if that suits.

Last edited:

I genuinely don't understand the logic. Is it just to save temporarily and then they'll go back next year? Will they fork out extra cash next year for their own VFL team? I mean... they HAVE to have a VFL team to be affiliated with in some form for when the competitions start back up, right?

Presumably they had it in the medium-long term plans to cut ties either way. This is as good as an excuse as any - although hardly an admirable way to deal with a partner.

Read this if you have stomach, the key fantasy though is this:
"The most vulnerable clubs, such as St Kilda, Gold Coast, North Melbourne and Melbourne, are talking as though everyone is in the same boat, citing the need for nine games a week under the broadcast deal. "

In what fantasy world are GWS not more vulnerable than us - they literally are only in existence due to subsidisation by other teams? Brisbane? Westerns? Port were on their knees not long ago. There is a narrative here that is based on what message people want to portray.

I still maintain that all but 2-3 clubs are in good enough financial condition to last more than a season without funding. We're in a batch in the middle that will struggle within a single season without significant measures. GC, GWS, St Kilda, Brisbane are amongst those that I know are in for a world of pain without massive golden gifts from the heavens.

FWIW the AFL should completely wear this. They've spent 3 decades making themselves bigger and the biggest clubs stronger while intentionally keeping the rest of the comp on life support to squeeze their non preferred clubs and achieve strategic goals. Perhaps instead of paying themselves to spin PR and cripple heartland clubs they should have been making each and every club bullet proof.

P.S. Sorry mods, meant to put this in the strife thread - feel free to move if that suits.

AFL want 2x QLD teams, taps into a massive potential market along with 2x NSW teams, I cannot remember on here or where but the participation rates have increased in QLD along with increased AFL infrastructure in schools increasing potential markets

Hang tough mate, the game is in good nick, and our club will be ok

AFL want 2x QLD teams, taps into a massive potential market along with 2x NSW teams, I cannot remember on here or where but the participation rates have increased in QLD along with increased AFL infrastructure in schools increasing potential markets

Hang tough mate, the game is in good nick, and our club will be ok

I know what the AFL want - that doesn't change the economics of other clubs. Don't worry, I'm not stressing about us in particular - we are in much better condition than several clubs to weather this storm. What annoys me is the constant encouragement of a biased narrative that hurts our brand.

I know what the AFL want - that doesn't change the economics of other clubs. Don't worry, I'm not stressing about us in particular - we are in much better condition than several clubs to weather this storm. What annoys me is the constant encouragement of a biased narrative that hurts our brand.

Sun Rises, Suns Sets, lazy journalists write North are an endangered club :p

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

Dunno. There's nothing to say clubs couldn't just end up with a list of 30 and no reserves comp. Having 45 players on a list when you know 10-15 of them aren't "AFL ready" seems a waste.

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos
To survive we need to unite behind the one true cat - Scamper! There are far too many “soft and cuddly” imitations preening themselves in some of these threads. There is only one Scamper and he’s not cuddly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
17219.jpeg

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Apart from the Scanlons who else has deep pockets that can throw in a couple of mill to help us out?
Is Kerry Stokes still a Kangas “fanatic”?
Has he done anything for us in the past?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ch7 is on its way to oblivion

check the share price

it will go like ch 10

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I'm actually saving money while this s**t is happening. Thankfully my employment is at zero risk.

I'm going to calculate what I have saved in beer expenditure at the footy and add that to memberships.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Same

I think KFC Wallan will be down some coin this season

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
NRL are f'ked.

Dunno. There's nothing to say clubs couldn't just end up with a list of 30 and no reserves comp. Having 45 players on a list when you know 10-15 of them aren't "AFL ready" seems a waste.

We've had more than eight on the injury list before.

NRL are f'ked.

For mine the difference is that in aussie rules states, those on the correct side of the Barassi line, footy would rate well in spring, in summer, in whatever season you want because footy in footy states is a religion.

Back