Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Geez just saw on 9news that Indonesia is predicted to have half of their population infected soon. Lack of testing, poor standards, and a population that ignores all medical advice. Currently a death rate of 10%.

Hard to feel sorry for them though when they are still celebrating festivals and going about life as if nothing is happening.
We should be wary of patting ourselves on the back too hard. Sure, it looks like we’re doing some things great but we’re still half-arsing the social distancing. My wife works for a govt dept and they are refusing to let her work at home and want to increase her time in the office despite knowing we have two young children who won’t be going to school. My work put hand sanitiser about, moved a few people around, let some work from home... then called groups of people into conference rooms for ‘mission critical’ training.

just to clarify, slowing the spread (i.e. #flattenthecurve) is building herd immunity as more people in the population (hopefully young and healthy) get cv19 (hopefully at a very slow rate) and get over it and thereby are no longer able to be 'petri dishes' for the virus to continue to spread through the community.

When countries try to almost completely avoid their population getting the virus that is called bending or avoiding the curve (as compared to flattening the curve) but is only successful if you bolt shut your borders until a vaccine is (hopefully) available at some stage.
I take your point. It's true for things like influenza. Have you seen confirmation that recovering from the infection builds immunity?

Currently flattening the curve is about slowing the rate of infection to avoid overloading the healthcare system https://www.flattenthecurve.com/

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A lot of people in the US actually believe that this is all a hoax and propaganda, lol. What hope do they have?

Trump said it was a hoax. Some people on this forum still think that.

I think some people are struggling to make sense of the conflicting information they are getting.

On TV and via social media they hear all of these stories of death and mayhem and the worst pandemic in 100 years.

And yet in their real lives they don't see anything like that.

Most of us don't know a single person who has been diagnosed with coronavirus.

The Snake Diet dude is one of the people I've seen pointing this out:

Darcy 2 Fyfe

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
Yallingup
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
Lockdown for 18 months the suicide rate will outnumber the Covid death rate
It will in any case. Look at the last down turn. Miners in particular were killing themselves at unprecedented rates.
All the industry and business disruption already has all but guaranteed this will be the case again.

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
It will in any case. Look at the last down turn. Miners in particular were killing themselves at unprecedented rates.
All the industry and business disruption already has all but guaranteed this will be the case again.

hence the reason I can’t see an extended lock down.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
What is there even to gamble on currently?

Can we maybe bet on the coronavirus?
Odds for America being number 1 with Coronavirus cases is 1.01. Market is closed.

Wondered what the heck gambling companies are sleazing off to get their addicted to bet.. probably some Bahraini soccer league or even coin toss. Such a rort. Not upset in the slightest that industry is struggling now

Trump was even worse, calling the risk a hoax and claiming they’d soon have zero cases. And look at him now, pretending that earlier warning would have allowed them to avoid their breakout. He’s a buffoon.

He didn't call the virus a hoax. He said the democrats were politicising it. It's this part that he referred to as a hoax.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
He didn't call the virus a hoax. He said the democrats were politicising it. It's this part that he referred to as a hoax.
He didn't call the virus a hoax. He called the Democratic claim that it was a significant problem that required action, a hoax.

He was saying infections would go to zero in a few days.

So he was not saying the virus was a hoax, he was saying the epidemic was a hoax.

The reason he said it is he is a moronic narcissistic *******.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doesn't that refer to sars and brain?
I don't get your question? Read this part:
Increasing evidence shows that coronaviruses are not always confined to the respiratory tract and that they may also invade the central nervous system inducing neurological diseases.

josephine666

Senior List
Aug 7, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
My business partner called me tonight to tell me he just had a call from NSW Health, letting him know the flight we were both on (on March 12) had a confirmed coronavirus case sitting within 2 rows of his seat...and that he must self isolate for the remainder of the 14 days...that being a whole 4 hours until midnight tonight! I guess they didn't discover that case until recently but it's odd that I didn't get a call too considering I was 2 rows behind him.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

He said it's "their new hoax". What does that even mean when referring to an epidemic. Surely you're not defending Trump?

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton

The Democrats were voicing concerns the virus was a serious threat that was not being adequately responded to. He called those valid concerns a hoax. He said it was totally under control. He said it would go away by April. He said back in Feb that cases would be close to zero within days.

Now he’s totally ****ed it up, he sets to gaslighting the public, blaming China for lack of early warning, he attacks Gov Cuomo after admiration was expressed over his leadership in this crisis and #PresidentCuomo started trending.

No surprise the US is our leading source of infection. The man is a buffoon who puts lives at risk to serve his own insecurities and self interest.

He said it's "their new hoax". What does that even mean when referring to an epidemic. Surely you're not defending Trump?

He never directly called the virus a hoax. He called the democrats spin of it a hoax. I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Interestingly according to this article, UK has ordered 3.5m home Covid-19 test kits!! Our Government seems to work in thousands not millions :(

Anyway, if these become readily available seems the best was fwd to me is to go into total lockdown for 2 weeks and then whoever has tested negative gets to go about their business again!
Sounds draconian but maybe some sort of wrist band you wear to show you've tested negative? Eg. a cafe owner who has tested negative could then re-open and know that his customers has also all tested negative.

I think the public will be able to buy them soon on Amazon. Not sure about Australia or the accuracy of the test or price. I can confirm it works like an epi-pen

Theres so many reports of young people's mental health deteriorating already and one girl in the UK already committed suicide. The lockdown will need to last 18 months until there's a vaccine or as soon as they open up it will just start spreading again.

With an 18 month lockdown you will need the military in the street enforcing it for the next 17.5 months of it
Jesus dude, there is not going to be a lockdown for 18 months under any circumstances with COVID. Society just won’t take it

interestedoz1

All Australian
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
There will not be a lockdown for 18 months. I spoke to a medical researcher today who said that a vaccine will be on the market before the end of the year, but equally importantly, there will be drugs out sooner that will minimize the effects.

Quality post. Weird that I'm finding I need to come to Bigfooty to get some balanced commentary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back