Games you would like to have seen

Remove this Banner Ad

With the Coronavirus having a massive effect on daily life and football, I was thinking about which games I would like to see replayed over the coming months and there are plenty to choose from, but what about games you've heard amazing stories about but will never get to see because they weren't televised, or you were too young, or not alive. If given the opportunity, which games from the past would you have liked to have seen.

One game I'd have loved to have been at was the win over Richmond in Round 2 1990. It marked the arrival of John Longmire (12 goals) and hammered in one of the early nails into the Kevin Bartlett coaching coffin. The first quarter blitz (13.3.81) and the continuation of the onslaught in the remaining 3 quarters to record our largest ever winning margin must have been amazing, it's a shame only 18,000 attended. One interesting stat, Richmond won the free kick count 35 to 18 so the umpires were doing everything in their power to keep Richmond in the contest but they were no chance. We may have stuttered early in the 90's but our potential was on show that night.

Full replay of '77 prelim. v Hawks.

Pies and Hawks played one of the all time great games in the 2nd semi. Everyone was waiting for their g.f. re-match.

Went to V.F.L. park full of hope.

Hawks hot favourites. Beaten us comprehensively 2 weeks earlier. Hudson coming back.

What we turned on was un-be-live-able. Even 1st q, then allowed them only 2 more goals in 3/4q. They couldn't get near it.

Beautiful to watch. Some scratchy hi-lights on you-tube is all l can find.

Another was a qual. final v Carltank at the M.C.G. in '75. How many remember that ?

Essendon had a 44 Point lead at Three Quarter Time

At three Quarter Time Essendon led 14.10 (94) to 7.8. (50) a strong 44 point lead and North would have to double their score for the first three quarters in the final quarter even to have a chance. But this is what they did.

A snippet in the Argus hints at the what happened, “Les Foote, centre half-forward, was North's best. He was fast and clever, marking and kicking well. Then, in the vital last quarter, he was flung into the ruck.” (Argus 26-May-1947 p.14)....and Foote lifted the side

Argus 26-May-1947 p.14
Argus 26-May-1947 p.14

Percy Taylor continued, “North then showed brilliant, concerted play that carried everything before them. They passed with precision, out marked opponents, and kicked accurately. Essendon cannot account for the fadeout. They thought they had the game in their keeping, and packed the defence. The pace and brilliance of North in that last quarter, however, were breathtaking, and swamped the opposition.” (Argus 26-May-1947 p.14)

North Melbourne kicked 8.4 (52) to zero for the quarter

Foote’s ruck work single handedly changed the game and inspired the team, there was no high wind or gale to blame, North who had scored 50 points in the first three quarters kicked 8.4 (52) to zero for the quarter in an astounding and memorable comeback.

An unknown writer on Wikipedia adds “to get some perspective of Foote's astonishing performance as a ruckman on that day, at 182 cm he was dominating the four ruckmen Essendon had selected to play that day; namely, Ivan Goodingham (191 cm), Perc Bushby (189 cm), Bob McClure (188 cm), and Jack Cassin (183 cm ).

Aftermath

At the time this was a record in the VFL for final quarter comebacks. It was not until the Brisbane Bears turned around a 45 point margin to Hawthorn in 1995 that the record was broken. Today North’s effort is still the second highest in 110 years of League football.

Within a few years, a new group of young North players under Foote’s captaincy would reach the VFL Grand Final...the first time the club had reached a VFL Grand Final since moving from the VFA in 1925.

But on this day, a group of players, beaten hard for weeks before did not give up and found something special to give and achieved something great.

Pies and Hawks played one of the all time great games in the 2nd semi. Everyone was waiting for their g.f. re-match.

Hawks hot favourites. Beaten us comprehensively 2 weeks earlier. Hudson coming back.

What we turned on was un-be-live-able. Even 1st q, then allowed them only 2 more goals in 3/4q. They couldn't get near it.

Another was a qual. final v Carltank at the M.C.G. in '75. How many remember that ?
Yep. I'd love to see the Prelim and 1st Semi from '77.

In fact any footage from any of the 70's finals.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

That and the after match at Arden St.

Anyone here at the game?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Don't have too many great days in your life. This was no. 1 with all my family. Remember crying, going to Arden st. for a short period before it really got going ( was 15 😕 ) Then going to see my grandparents 👍 They had waited the 50 years.

All I could find:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a few games I would love to rewatch. I was at the ground but it would be brilliant to see them again.

North vs Carlton, Princess park 13th April 1985. Down by 10 points at three quarter time, 16 goals kicked by both sides in the last quarter for North to snatch a 2 point win. Jimmy Krakauer tough as nails, Matty Larkin and Donald on song.

Fri 30-May-1986 First Friday night game ever against hot favourites * (Then bereft of Aboriginal talent). Jimmy and Phil Krakauer destroyed them. The louder the racist sledges got (both on and off the field) the better they played.

Arden Street, round 10, 1984. Paul Salmon had been unleashed as a forward and * had destroyed all before them. Enter Bill Berry, a journeyman ruckman plucked from obscurity to play fullback on Salmon. Kept him to one goal and North got the chocolates in a classic David vs Goliath suburban game

Other standout games I have only seen on TV but would love to rewatch.

Arch 300th, Petrie kicking 6 in the first quarter
Arch 250th, McKernan going bonkers in the final quarter
Adrian McAdam kicking 9 against filth in 1993
Cunners demolition of Richmond in 2018 was a thing of beauty
Carey's Contested marking against Collingwood in 2000, round 6
All the premierships but in particular McKernan against the Swans

There's a few games I would love to rewatch. I was at the ground but it would be brilliant to see them again.

North vs Carlton, Princess park 13th April 1985. Down by 10 points at three quarter time, 16 goals kicked by both sides in the last quarter for North to snatch a 2 point win. Jimmy Krakauer tough as nails, Matty Larkin and Donald on song.

Fri 30-May-1986 First Friday night game ever against hot favourites * (Then bereft of Aboriginal talent). Jimmy and Phil Krakauer destroyed them. The louder the racist sledges got (both on and off the field) the better they played.

Arden Street, round 10, 1984. Paul Salmon had been unleashed as a forward and * had destroyed all before them. Enter Bill Berry, a journeyman ruckman plucked from obscurity to play fullback on Salmon. Kept him to one goal and North got the chocolates in a classic David vs Goliath suburban game

Unfortunately Essendon won that 1984 match by 2 points. I was there and Berry did a great job on Salmon, almost winning it for North but not quite.
I would have loved to be at Victoria Park when Macadam got 9 and watched the Colingwood fans streaming out of the ground early.
I was there when Petrie got six in the first quarter against Footscray,effectively ending the match as a contest and seeing off about 4 opponents.
Also the 1993 match against Sydney at Princes Park when Macadam got 10 and Longmire 9 in a record club score.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back