News Coronavirus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There just isn't enough scoreboard analysis in this thread.

Could someone hit me with another half a dozen sets of numbers...

Me too. I'd prefer this week's Tattslotto numbers... Or aren't they half a dozen anymore?

Me too. I'd prefer this week's Tattslotto numbers... Or aren't they half a dozen anymore?

Look at a chart on the internet, report basic statistical trend, blame X politician, then collect your PhD in viral epidemiology.

On a lighter note..had a dream that Trump and Pence visited me last night and I had to make them cups of coffee. I left the lounge room and made the coffees. When I came back Trump was giving dead arm punches to Pence, saw me and pretended he wasn’t doing it.

Gaso, mate, you have issues...

On a lighter note..had a dream that Trump and Pence visited me last night and I had to make them cups of coffee. I left the lounge room and made the coffees. When I came back Trump was giving dead arm punches to Pence, saw me and pretended he wasn’t doing it.
Man, I wish I was as high as you were, when you wrote this...

And so it (China vs U.S) begins... again!

CHINA CLOSES BORDERS

China has closed its borders to foreign nationals to prevent a resurgence of the deadly coronavirus pandemic, reports the New York Post. The move signals an attempt by officials in China, the point of origin of the worldwide coronavirus outbreak, to avoid having foreigners with visas or residency permits reintroduce the deadly bug into the Asian nation, just as cases there wane, Axios.com reported Thursday.

“The suspension is a temporary measure that China is compelled to take in light of the outbreak situation and the practices of other countries,” the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement, Axios reported. “China will stay in close touch with all sides and properly handle personnel exchanges with the rest of the world under the special circumstances,” the statement said. “The above-mentioned measures will be calibrated in light of the evolving situation and announced accordingly.”

In January, Chinese officials suspended all travel in and out of Hubei province, home to Wuhan, where the virus is believed to have originated. The move grounded the nearly 60 million people who call the province home. But on March 19, health officials reported no new cases in a 24-hour period for the first time since the outbreak began. While China still leads the globe with more than 81,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases, the number of cases there has since leveled off.

The country has also been critical of the way the pandemic has been handled by other countries, primarily the US. “The US is the most developed country in the world, with leading medical technologies and top-class healthcare professionals,” the Chinese newspaper Global Times said in an editorial Thursday. “But it has missed the best timing to contain COVID-19 due to the Trump administration’s slow move, driven by political reasons.”

In a Twitter post, the newspaper’s editor-in-chief, Hu Xijin, took another swipe at the US. “The US government has made three mistakes,” Xijin wrote. “1, Slow response, which led to the US likely becoming the new epicenter. 2, Not assuming responsibility as a superpower; giving no substantial aid to allies such as Italy and Spain. 3, Undermining global security.”

Nonetheless, China also came under fire earlier this week when it was revealed that the country donated less than 3 percent to the World Health Organization’s $675 million coronavirus fundraising drive. A senior White House official called that “shocking and a disgrace.”

Anyone who knows anything politics understands that in a crisis like this the President's approval ratings go up. Wartime, 9/11 etc.

The thing is how long they last. George Bush Snr had record approval ratings in 1991 after the First Iraq War. Lost to an unknown from Arkansas with a pants problem in November 1992.

Only a neophyte would be in any way surprised by this.

Would say this is different. Decisions and message are far more immediate than in the other cases.

Oh boy, don't you love insurance companies:

Although, it should be noted that this "Australian insurer" is owned by the Japanese insurance giant Dai-ichi Life.

There just isn't enough scoreboard analysis in this thread.

Could someone hit me with another half a dozen sets of numbers, then provide some type of in depth extrapolation?

Do we have any fresh Trump stuff?

It is interesting, don't want to put too much pressure on individuals but the lack of input from JMac is concerning.

Oh boy, don't you love insurance companies:

Although, it should be noted that this "Australian insurer" is owned by the Japanese insurance giant Dai-ichi Life.

Insurance companies exist to make a boatload of money.

They are in no way designed to help you in a time of need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is this madness? Everyone postal votes these days, don't they?

Rest of Australia: "Don't leave home".
QLD - "Vote tomorrow or be fined".

Fremantle Dockers assistant coach Anthony Rock provides personal insight into financial struggles already hitting staff after being let go

Craig O'DonoghueThe West Australian
Thursday, 26 March 2020 4:00PM
Craig O'Donoghue

Fremantle assistant coach Anthony Rock has provided a personal insight into the financial challenges already hitting club personnel after the AFL shut down this week.
Rock was among the 75 per cent of Dockers staff to be stood down on Tuesday and is now considering finding part time work to help his family.
The North Melbourne premiership rover relocated to Perth from Victoria where he still has property and has two children attending private school in Western Australia.

He said the loss of income would be a major challenge but it was important to stay positive.
“I’ll have a chance to do some online study and get out and do some part time work,” Rock told Fox Footy Live.
“I’m looking forward to whatever lies ahead and am trying to be as positive as we can.
“There are so many people that have been affected by it and the only way through it is to try and be positive. Hopefully we can get back and resume at some point because it’s critical for the nation clearly.
“I need to bring the bacon home. We’re doing a renovation back in Melbourne so it’s not a great time financially for us. We’ll get through.
“My wife works remotely here in WA on east coast time. We’ve got two kids in private school so we just need to, like every other family, get through it as best we can and deal with what comes our way.”
Clubs are expected to dramatically reduce their numbers of assistant coaches when games resume in a bid to make up for the money lost during the coronavirus crisis.
Rock said he was hopeful of still having a job at Fremantle when the shut down ends.
But this isn’t the first time his AFL job has been taken away.
Rock worked as an assistant coach in Victoria before returning to the workforce and coaching amateur teams.
Former Dockers coach Ross Lyon brought him back to the AFL and Rock said having experience outside the game would be beneficial.
“I’ve been through situations before where you get tested,” Rock said.
“I was out of the industry for a period of time and worked with a company called Smith and Nephew in the medical field. I did that for a 12-month period. I coached high level community football which I really enjoyed.
“I’ve been at the other end where I can see a perspective. I look at this as another obstacle in the way that everyone needs to overcome.”

Fremantle Dockers assistant coach Anthony Rock provides personal insight into financial struggles already hitting staff after being let go

Craig O'DonoghueThe West Australian
Thursday, 26 March 2020 4:00PM
Craig O'Donoghue

Fremantle assistant coach Anthony Rock has provided a personal insight into the financial challenges already hitting club personnel after the AFL shut down this week.
Rock was among the 75 per cent of Dockers staff to be stood down on Tuesday and is now considering finding part time work to help his family.
The North Melbourne premiership rover relocated to Perth from Victoria where he still has property and has two children attending private school in Western Australia.

He said the loss of income would be a major challenge but it was important to stay positive.
“I’ll have a chance to do some online study and get out and do some part time work,” Rock told Fox Footy Live.
“I’m looking forward to whatever lies ahead and am trying to be as positive as we can.
“There are so many people that have been affected by it and the only way through it is to try and be positive. Hopefully we can get back and resume at some point because it’s critical for the nation clearly.
“I need to bring the bacon home. We’re doing a renovation back in Melbourne so it’s not a great time financially for us. We’ll get through.
“My wife works remotely here in WA on east coast time. We’ve got two kids in private school so we just need to, like every other family, get through it as best we can and deal with what comes our way.”
Clubs are expected to dramatically reduce their numbers of assistant coaches when games resume in a bid to make up for the money lost during the coronavirus crisis.
Rock said he was hopeful of still having a job at Fremantle when the shut down ends.
But this isn’t the first time his AFL job has been taken away.
Rock worked as an assistant coach in Victoria before returning to the workforce and coaching amateur teams.
Former Dockers coach Ross Lyon brought him back to the AFL and Rock said having experience outside the game would be beneficial.
“I’ve been through situations before where you get tested,” Rock said.
“I was out of the industry for a period of time and worked with a company called Smith and Nephew in the medical field. I did that for a 12-month period. I coached high level community football which I really enjoyed.
“I’ve been at the other end where I can see a perspective. I look at this as another obstacle in the way that everyone needs to overcome.”

Broady boy.

He'll survive.

For those playing along at home:

Coronavirus crisis: MS Artania cruise ship passengers to fly home via Perth Airport after docking in Fremantle

Sarah StegerThe West Australian
Thursday, 26 March 2020 8:26PM
Sarah Steger

More than 800 German, Austrian and Swiss travellers aboard the MS Artania cruise ship anchored off the WA coast will be evacuated to Perth Airport and flown home aboard a mercy flight as soon as this weekend, following a joint decision by the Australian Government and the German Embassy.
But talks over what will happen to the 515 crew members on board, as well as the seven passengers who have tested positive with COVID-19, continue, with no clear solution in site.

In a German media statement released tonight, travel operator Phoenix Reisen said all 825 healthy guests, regardless of whether they were German citizens, would be flown to Frankfurt by charter or airline on March 28 or 29.
A spokeswoman told The West Australian passengers would disembark from the vessel and be taken directly to the airport before boarding their respective flights.
“They will not get off anywhere. It will all be done in the same day,” she said.
The large majority of passengers onboard the cruise ship are German, while a few others hold Swiss or Austrian passports.
“The guests on board and the crew were and are kept up to date by Captain Morten Hansen and the Phoenix cruise line Klaus Gruschka,” the release said.
The cruise ship is currently carrying 1800 people - seven of whom have tested positive for COVID-19 - and was granted permission by the State Government to berth at Fremantle on Thursday night after a man suffered a serious medical emergency.
It came just one day after Premier Mark McGowan assured West Australians the MS Artania, along with the MSC Magnifica also floating off WA’s coast, would not be permitted to dock.
A State Government source told The West Australian the man onboard the Artania, who was tonight rushed to hospital, suffered a heart attack.
“A male passenger has had a serious medical emergency and requires urgent medical evacuation,” a media release issued tonight said.
“The State Government understands this passenger is not one of the nine passengers that were tested for COVID-19.
“The remaining passengers, including the seven COVID-19 positive passengers, will remain on board in self-isolation.”
About 9pm the man was stretched off the ship, now berthed at Fremantle Passenger Terminal, and into the back of an ambulance.
A second St John Ambulance followed closely behind en route to the hospital, while the entire operation was overseen by several police officers.
The latest medical emergency is the second incident to unfold aboard the Artania today, with a man in his 70s evacuated by police about 4.30pm this afternoon.
The man, who is understood to be suffering from a life threatening medical illness, was rushed to Fiona Stanley Hospital by an awaiting St John Ambulance crew and is in a ward in a stable condition.
Premier Mark McGowan is expected to provide further updates on the situation tomorrow.
The MS Artania issued a plea for urgent medical assistance at 2am on Wednesday morning. By 8.30am WA Health Department clinicians had boarded the liner to test the sick passengers for coronavirus.
The Artania is one of two cruise ships that was floating off WA’s shores today, the other being the MSC Magnifica.
Premier Mark McGowan this week insisted the Artania must leave Perth’s coast and return to its port of origin as soon as possible.
The declaration came after the MSC Magnifica changed its coarse and headed back to WA shores only hours after stopping to refuel in Fremantle, after it was told it could not berth at Dubai.
It was seen “doing loops” near Yanchep on Wednesday morning.
But Mr McGowan on Wednesday said no one would be allowed off the ship while it remains anchored at sea.
“The Magnifica and the Artania both need to leave and go back to their port of origin and leave as soon as possible,” Mr McGowan said on Wednesday.

The 2 minute mark of the first quarter. Even with shortened quarters there is a long, long dark time ahead for the US and many other countries.

Horace, any thoughts on the game so far?

Look at a chart on the internet, report basic statistical trend, blame X politician, then collect your PhD in viral epidemiology.
Haha - you continue to be a major source of entertainment.

There's not one expert qualified to advise or make decisions here on this board about this situation. Not you, not anyone.

Most of us hope that the political leaders take the advice of the actual experts - the ones on expert advisory panels and don't bow to short term political expediency and populism. It's really that simple.

Coronavirus crisis: Coles tells shoppers to pack their own bags
Tracey FerrierAAP
Friday, 27 March 2020 6:43AM

Coles has told shoppers to pack their own groceries to limit the spread of coronavirus.
The supermarket giant has written to customers with a new set of rules aimed at keeping its stores safe for shoppers and staff.
People have been told they must not enter stores if they are sick, and should handle their own bags and pack their own groceries to limit the risk of spreading the virus.

They have also been asked to wash or sanitise their hands before entering stores and shoppers must stay 1.5 metres away from others at all times.
Special directions will be provided at checkouts to make sure people in queues don’t get too close together.
The retailer is spending an extra $1 million a week on extra cleaning and security guards, with special attention paid to sanitising high contact surfaces including trolleys, baskets, and checkout areas.
And customers are being encouraged to pay via tap-and-go.
Masks and gloves are not being recommended for shopping, in line with health department advice.
Bakery departments are also making changes, with items including bread baked on site to be pre-wrapped to ensure products are not contaminated.
“Finally, we’ll be regularly rotating our teams on checkouts throughout the day to help keep everyone safer,” Coles said in a letter to customers on Friday.
“Please respect the guidelines we’re putting in place as your health and safety remains a priority to us.”

There's not one expert qualified to advise or make decisions here on this board about this situation. Not you, not anyone.

What is Gandalf's council of wise wizards reporting today, and how can you correlate this with labeling X politician as incompetent?

Coronavirus: US deaths pass grim milestone

America has reached a grim milestone as the number of deaths linked to coronavirus passed 1000 in the country on Thursday (local time). The number of reported deaths associated with the disease in the US was at least 1050 as of Thursday morning, according to NBC News, and there have been more than 68,000 reported cases across the nation. Globally, reported deaths passed 21,000, according to Johns Hopkins University in the US.

The situation in New York, which is now the epicentre of the virus in the US, is at breaking point, as the death toll rose to 385 (as of Thursday midday, local time) with more than 37,000 cases confirmed in New York, an increase of more than 7000 over a 24-hour period. It comes as Mayor Bill de Blasio said that the number of people infected in the city could be as many as four million of New York’s eight million inhabitants.

Fiorello “Fred” Santoro, 83, a former Bronx homicide detective, told News Corp Australia that he had “never known anything like it”. “I’ve seen a lot of things, but this is worse than 9/11, worse than Hurricane Sandy,” Mr Santoro, a native New Yorker, said. “It’s bad, really bad. And de Blasio is a moron. But Cuomo’s been great.

Mr Santoro’s sentiments echoed those of many New Yorkers who have slammed the performance of Democratic mayor, Bill de Blasio, during the crisis, praising instead Governor Andrew Cuomo, who has become the face of the crisis in the struggling city. “As upsetting as it is to be in New York right now, I’m thankful we have a real leader in Andrew Cuomo who is doing his f***ing job,” New Yorker Sean Singer told News Corp Australia. “He’s at the frontline and he’s making decisions for us and letting us know what’s going on. Where’s de Blasio?”

MILLIONS OUT OF WORK IN THE US
Meanwhile, nearly 3.3 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week – more than quadruple the previous record set in 1982 – amid a widespread economic shutdown caused by the coronavirus. The surge in weekly applications was a stunning reflection of the damage the viral outbreak is doing to the economy. Filings for unemployment aid generally reflect the pace of lay-offs.

The pace of lay-offs is sure to accelerate as the US economy sinks into a recession. Revenue has collapsed at restaurants, hotels, movie theatres, gyms, and airlines. Auto sales are plummeting, and car makers have close factories. Most such employers face loan payments and other fixed costs, so they’re cutting jobs to save money. As job losses mount, some economists say America’s unemployment rate could approach 13 per cent by May. By comparison, the highest jobless rate during the Great Recession, which ended in 2009, was 10 per cent.

The economic deterioration has been swift. As recently as February, the unemployment rate was at a 50-year low of 3.5 per cent. And the economy was growing steadily if modestly. Yet by the April-June quarter of the year, some economists think the economy will shrink at its steepest annual pace ever - a contraction that could reach 30 per cent.

Many people who have lost jobs in recent days have been unable to file for unemployment aid because state websites and phone systems have been overwhelmed by a crush of applicants and have frozen up. That logjam suggests that Thursday’s report on filings for unemployment benefits actually understates the magnitude of job cuts last week.

With layoffs surging, a significant expansion of unemployment benefits for the millions who will lose jobs as a result of the coronavirus outbreak was included in an economic relief bill which passed through Congress and goes to the House for final approval. One provision in the bill would provide an extra US$600 ($A1000) a week on top of the unemployment aid that states provide. Another would extend 13 additional weeks of benefits beyond the six months of jobless aid that most states offer.

Separate legislation passed last week provides up to US$1 billion ($A1.65 billion) to states to enhance their ability to process claims. But that money will take time to be disbursed. The bill, expected to top $2 trillion ($A3.3 trillion), also bails out businesses, hospitals and local governments. The package authorises US$1200 ($A2000) cheques for all adults who earn up to $US75,000 ($A125,000) and creates enormous loan programs for businesses.

A generous boost of US$600 ($A1000) per week in unemployment pay led to a final road bump when a group of Republicans sought unsuccessfully to change the bill so the unemployed could not get more than 100 percent of their prior pay. The package creates a $500 billion loan program run by the Treasury Department to assist businesses struggling to stay afloat. Loans to President Donald Trump’s businesses and those of members of Congress, other officials and their families are banned.

There’s a bill worth $10 trillion being pushed through over there at the moment similar to the one that bailed out the banks in 08. The oligarchy in the US is just going to get stronger. They’ll be similar to places like Brazil soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back