Autopsy Round 1, 2020: Hawks defeat the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

cogs2hawks

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In 10 weeks time will our round 2 clash still be against Freo? They will have pretty much their strongest side with hamling, Wilson, Pearce, Mundy and possibly hogan to return. Could be a tough game up in Perth. However we are the only side that has a 100% record at Optus!

Hawthorn v Brisbane

10 Chad Wingard (HAW)
6 Lachie Neale (BL)
4 Shaun Burgoyne (HAW)
3 Ben Stratton (HAW)
3 Luke Breust (HAW)
2 Harris Andrews (BL)
1 Liam Shiels (HAW)
1 Tom Mitchell (HAW)

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Funny how the coaches can see things differently.
Wingard best on by both.
Neale 4 from one, 2 from the other.
Burgoyne 4 from one and nada from the other.
Stratts and Punky 3 and zip each.
Andrews 2 and zip.
Sheila and Tommy the singles.

Clarko:
5 - Wingard
4 - Neale
3 - Stratton
2 - Andrews
1 - Shiels

Fagan:
5 - Wingard
4 - Burgoyne
3 - Breust
2 - Neale
1 - Mitchell

JZedd

Team Captain
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
TOB is an interesting player, very much in the Clarko mould

1. He does spill marks but I wonder if he's actually getting his hands to badly delivered kicks (where others may not) and if delivery was better he'd mark more. He often splits packs just by his athletic flies.
2. As a pinch hitter ruck he really impresses me with his timing and leap. More so than any of our other ricks - I'm talking centre bounces here. I'd need to do some analysis on our clearance % though to gauge effectiveness but at the least he'd upset the rythym of the opposition ruck as avoids contact completely almost.
3. The spilling of marks may almost be a concentration + strength factor, meaning just a bit of contact can upset his timing and concentration. To mark a ball cleanly in traffic you have to totally disregard almost everything but the ball - ie. eyes for the ball only.
4. He does the 1%ters and lays a good tackle
5. He's an excellent kick

So far he's not a buddy or roughie we all know. But he is talented and threatens to take the next step to consistent performances. That may only come once his role in the team is understood. And this may well be the critical factor as being a versatile player and being asked to change roles is not for every player and is a difficult thing to do if you've ever tried it yourself.

As a forward on the 3rd or 4th defender is probably his best role with some centre bounces pinch hitting.....in my only humble opinion :)

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well written Joey. Good summary.

JZedd

Team Captain
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sicily at times looked like he didn't give a fu**
You know I'd have to agree it looked that way... It was like "Hey guys I made State of Origin. Pretty good aye.... " In reality I think it just looks that way and isn't the case. Whatever the case he would have had some uncomfortable moments during the game review... If they got around to it....

Well done on the Grand Final Lads!
I know they're making excuses not to hand out the Silverware, but job well done!

What's everyone up to in the off season?
I’m just gonna hang out at home for a bit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I dunno, his game against West Coast in round 23 was pretty bloody good!
Yep agreed... he was absolutely phenomenal. The thing I love about Wingz is that thing he does when he gets the ball. What I mean by this is that when he gets it (the ball) he kind of lowers his body ever so slightly and then he has this smoothness as he then accelerates away like Ferrari. Can’t wait until his best buddy Impey is back cause I feel he seems to go up another gear when they play together.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Yep agreed... he was absolutely phenomenal. The thing I love about Wingz is that thing he does when he gets the ball. What I mean by this is that when he gets it (the ball) he kind of lowers his body ever so slightly and then he has this smoothness as he then accelerates away like Ferrari. Can’t wait until his best buddy Impey is back cause I feel he seems to go up another gear when they play together.

GAJ in his prime does that too (same too with Cotchin)

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The bigger problem is how the tone can be intepreted based on what you write

Which you need to work on.. I’m not sure how many times you’ve pot shotted me for interpreting my tone or context in the wrong manner. It would be brilliant for you to lead by example on this topic kind sir.

Which you need to work on.. I’m not sure how many times you’ve pot shotted me for interpreting my tone or context in the wrong manner. It would be brilliant for you to lead by example on this topic kind sir.
Well there's no need to YELL!
giphy.gif

JZedd

Team Captain
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our side starts to look pretty tough to beat if you add Impey, Hardwick and, when fully fit, Lewis. Personally, I reckon Scrimshaw needs to be in the side too. He's part of the next gen and I can't believe we got such a talent for a 3rd round pick. At only 21 yrs of age and 193 CM the previous pick 7 shows he's got the class...just needs a decent injury free run. Very similar to Birchall but I suspect Scrimmers may be better overhead. For mine, McEvoy moves out of the backline, except for special circumstances.

It's a two way street. You write in a way that is open to interpretation in a very negative context and many on here see it that way not just me.

If you want people to understand the tone you are writing in you need to improve your communication, currently your argument is you knew what you meant so everyone else should.

It's hard for people to see the other side of your tone when you don't make an effort to meet them halfway. It's not always the fault of the reader for not understanding the message.

So I'll make an effort to understand what you mean if you make an effort to communicate it better

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
In 10 weeks time will our round 2 clash still be against Freo? They will have pretty much their strongest side with hamling, Wilson, Pearce, Mundy and possibly hogan to return. Could be a tough game up in Perth. However we are the only side that has a 100% record at Optus!

Very optimistic to think we'll have a game in 10 weeks time, personally think the pandemic will be worse in late May than it is now.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
It's a two way street. You write in a way that is open to interpretation in a very negative context and many on here see it that way not just me.

If you want people to understand the tone you are writing in you need to improve your communication, currently your argument is you knew what you meant so everyone else should.

It's hard for people to see the other side of your tone when you don't make an effort to meet them halfway. It's not always the fault of the reader for not understanding the message.

So I'll make an effort to understand what you mean if you make an effort to communicate it better

6ea9d64e56afd2c43523cbbf4235d629.gif

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

tige, one time i had a different opinion and you told me what i said was rubbish, total and utter bullshit, and inept.

I thought that was a bit negative (but maybe i misread the tone).

We really saw the value of Tom Mitchell to Hawthorn against the Lions. Outsiders question his hurt factor with the ball but in terms of the importance of him to the way our midfield sets up there is no more important player. His absolutely freak ball winning ability meant that our other mids did not have to try and win the ball the whole time themselves so it gave us an enormous amount of stability at the contest along with Jaeger. When Mitchell doesnt win possesion, because he is always where the ball is he is always well placed to influence the contest through a pressure act or a tackle - all of this buys us time. Plus the other factor with him is that when he has the ball - which is a lot - the other team doesn't so it means we are controlling the game for longer when he is out there.

Jaeger played in a very similar manner to last year in terms of shouldering an enormous amount of grunt work in tight forcing the ball forward whenever he could without having to try and win the game himself. People have had a crack at his DE but if you watch most of his possessions in the 1st half he had blokes hanging off him every time. Along with Mitchell he played a terrific team game which was a catalyst for our success on the spread.

Shiels was outstanding and definitely had a more attacking role to his game because he didnt have to hang around inside the contest so much so had a bit more freedom. All the good teams have a bloke like Shiels who can rack up possessions if not given attention so it is a great sign that he was able to be played in the role he did rather than his normal run with role. It means we have confidence in our midfield head to head - there is no way we did last year.

Wingard was the game breaker - he was hard as nails inside the contest but could also get to attacking positions because Mitchell and O'Meara had the inside covered. Again the stability from Mitchell and Jaeger means that a bloke like Wingard can flourish.

It is no coincidence we struggled to control the midfield last year with Tom absent.

In terms of the way the game panned out, McEvoys big marks in the last quarter and Ceglar clunking them gave us an advantage, conceding that Martin was off the ground. But we saw our plan of bringing McEvoy into the ruck as a relatively fresh player at a crucial stage in the game which allowed for Cegs to have a break and then come back on and contribute. Plus we saw Worps sitting forward for that last contest again demonstrating that he is a very difficult match-up one on one up forward which resulted in Breusts goal. As for Breust, he is a freak and one of our best ever.

For the Ollie Hanrahan knockers, there is no other player like him on our list. Watch his work front and centre of a contest. Elite at reading the ball of hands. He is a low possession high damage player. His damage levels are not quite there yet but when he flashes into a contest he always impacts what is happening to our advantage. Very very important player. We need him to keep playing games to get up to the 30 mark then he will start being really influential. He is already a goal a game forward in his very early years. With a bit of composure and surer ball handling he will be a player.

All in all a terrific performance. Pretty disappointing to not be meeting Freo this week as pretty confidence we would be 2-0 with solid percentage before a very challenging group of games.

As for Fox Footy's live recall this round (which is a great idea), they have chosen the 2010 elimination final where Freo beat us. Not the more recent 2013 GF or the 2014 Prelim. What assholes.

Back