Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
One big question ...do playing contracts for 2020 now stand for 2021? Sure there would be some clubs targeting players to change clubs for 2021 if the season is officially called off.
If the Contracts are dated for Season 2020 which they would be they won't count next year.
The other point would be that depending on when things resume some leagues may pull the pin and others may choose to have some sort of comp that runs into summer .

GrassKat

Spec Moderator
Dec 15, 2006
Toolamba
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Murchison-Toolamba FNC
The other point would be that depending on when things resume some leagues may pull the pin and others may choose to have some sort of comp that runs into summer .

Would our cricketing friends be prepared to start in November?
Football could play a shorter season with perhaps a final 4 only.
In saying that, who knows when we’d be clear to commence.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

bystanding backman

Team Captain
Aug 11, 2006
Nathalia
AFL Club
Essendon

Couldn’t see cricket agreeing to have their season shortened after some having to cancel the grand finals this year.

If cricket can start on time I imagine they would be pushing for that and not having two seasons impacted.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond

May require fixturing outside of the norm , including playing at Venues who don’t have cricket , which of coarse is all subject to when things are able kick off .

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
May require fixturing outside of the norm , including playing at Venues who don’t have cricket , which of coarse is all subject to when things are able kick off .

Why does Football have to have no respect for Summer sports.

Footy is Winter
Cricket -Tennis is Summer.
And yes they can co exist if they respect its others value to communities

Yes what’s happening atm is crazy but that doesn’t give footy the rights to ruin other sports.

I’m guessing footy wouldnt delay its start normally for month just for cricket to play a few games of the Rona started in October.

Footy either plays a 1 round Comp if at all.

Is all reality 2020 footy season will be a right off

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond

Footy is Winter

Yes what’s happening atm is crazy but that doesn’t give footy the rights to ruin other sports.

I’m guessing footy wouldnt delay its start normally for month just for cricket to play a few games of the Rona started in October.

Wasn’t suggesting football shouldn’t or does’nt have respect for summer sports , sorry if it came across that way .

Last edited:

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
The cricket v football thing is an interesting discussion point. The only way around it would be for cricket teams to share grounds and football cubs to do the same. However, one major issue is that most footballers usually play cricket so that is another effect of this situation,. Perhaps cricket can also put in a mid week one dayer to take the pressure off if football runs somewhat later? Football would then have to play double/triple headers. So many questions.

Local Footy1

Rookie
Jan 18, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
The cricket v football thing is an interesting discussion point. The only way around it would be for cricket teams to share grounds and football cubs to do the same. However, one major issue is that most footballers usually play cricket so that is another effect of this situation,. Perhaps cricket can also put in a mid week one dayer to take the pressure off if football runs somewhat later? Football would then have to play double/triple headers. So many questions.
You're more fortunate in the country where there is greater cross over between football and cricket. There is no chance of cricket agreeing to any sort of compromise in the city. Not a lot of love between the codes especially now city cricket has been taken over by non footballers.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
I can't see lockdown been shut off until august, as you can't open up the floodgates in the middle of winter, if you play a season till November, that's a short turnaround to season 2021. Unfortunately I can't see any footy code playing this year, id love to be wrong but can't see it happening

You're more fortunate in the country where there is greater cross over between football and cricket. There is no chance of cricket agreeing to any sort of compromise in the city. Not a lot of love between the codes especially now city cricket has been taken over by non footballers.

Bootz36

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Footy is Winter

Have to agree with you Post. The statistics on the virus spreading indicate under current social isolation restrictions, up to 100,00 of us A DAY will be contracting it around July. (I had to re-read this as initially thought it was each week!)
So there won’t be a footy season this year. More concerned about how many of our club legends will still be still with us to see the start of the 2021 season.

Doc Larkins

All Australian
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Have to agree with you Post. The statistics on the virus spreading indicate under current social isolation restrictions, up to 100,00 of us A DAY will be contracting it around July. (I had to re-read this as initially thought it was each week!)
So there won’t be a footy season this year. More concerned about how many of our club legends will still be still with us to see the start of the 2021 season.

Arounx 100,000 of us will be contracting the Virus a day around July? Was that estimated Pre- Lockdown measures?

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Was reading in the Guardian today about a teacher's concern with Morrison's current guidelines and his 1.5 metre distancing rule. (Non-Victorian thankfully)

Teacher's can currently have as many as 30 students indoors in a small space maybe 12 x 12 metres in many instances. But if they decided to get married they can have five people attend. If they happened to die as a result of the aforementioned 30 students in a 12 x 12 metre space they can have 10 people at their funeral.

Makes perfectly good sense!

(Sorry that isn't footy related but it makes me bloody angry with the hypocrisy)

Bootz36

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Arounx 100,000 of us will be contracting the Virus a day around July? Was that estimated Pre- Lockdown measures?

I was shocked Doc so had to re-read it again after hearing it mentioned on the radio. Under current restrictions, to stop the virus it needs 90% social restrictions- we are at around 70%. Government at odds with introducing more restrictions for health compared to buggering the economy further.
80% will get the virus but majority will have few symptoms. The few is still a few too many because the age bracket would be a few of us posters and definitely our parents... and club diehards who are the back bone of community footy.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was shocked Doc so had to re-read it again after hearing it mentioned on the radio. Under current restrictions, to stop the virus it needs 90% social restrictions- we are at around 70%. Government at odds with introducing more restrictions for health compared to buggering the economy further.
80% will get the virus but majority will have few symptoms. The few is still a few too many because the age bracket would be a few of us posters and definitely our parents... and club diehards who are the back bone of community footy.

The economic fall out from this will be felt for many many years if not decades to come and will be far worse than the illness itself

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Like your thoughts here. Plus let’s remember cricket gets affected by rain in the early rounds most years especially October. Preparing turf wickets will be an issue but those grounds still with hard wickets could be fine.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond

The natural mutation of the virus to a lesser strain and development in vacations / treatments are giving some hope .

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
The natural mutation of the virus to a lesser strain and development in vacations / treatments are giving some hope .
The Shepp news annual footy magazine came out today.Great inside to leagues and clubs, some may say what the heck there’ll be no footy why read it , every one for themselves. imo still good to look at clubs and think what may have been 😪

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
The Shepp news annual footy magazine came out today.Great inside to leagues and clubs, some may say what the heck there’ll be no footy why read it , every one for themselves. imo still good to look at clubs and think what may have been 😪
Or could be swoop , my glass is half full.

Doc Larkins

All Australian
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Or could be swoop , my glass is half full.
Still hope I reckon particularly if in three weeks to a Month there is some solid decline in new cases. Measures put in place today with those returning from Overseas travel would have been good a while ago but better late than never.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still hope I reckon particularly if in three weeks to a Month there is some solid decline in new cases. Measures put in place today with those returning from Overseas travel would have been good a while ago but better late than never.

Seems to be a bit more optimism. Think perspective will be a bit more common after this.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
I can't see that happening, just look at St Kilda beach, this is not just a footy issue, this will smash small business who many are substantial sponsors of footy clubs, I'm not sure how many will be able to do this in the future, will we see more amateur footy, where guys will play for the love it and train twice a week, a drop back to "community sport" there could possibly be less AFL coaches similar to the early 90s

Doc Larkins

All Australian
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can't see that happening, just look at St Kilda beach, this is not just a footy issue, this will smash small business who many are substantial sponsors of footy clubs, I'm not sure how many will be able to do this in the future, will we see more amateur footy, where guys will play for the love it and train twice a week, a drop back to "community sport" there could possibly be less AFL coaches similar to the early 90s
I think people will become active and more social after this particularly intially. In regards to Sponsorship some will step back but I'd say 95% of Sponsorships to Country Club's are below 5k so while it will hurt Club's who are prepared to do their Woodcuts, Haycarting and run that extra function will be ok in most cases.

Back