Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
God I miss the Duck Barlow. Still got me rooted he was turned into a half forward and then pensioned off. I reckon he could still go out there and get 30 touches. Some people are just born to it.

I've been a Ross supporter but he hindered Barlow and a few other players.

What was amazing was the amount of youth. We played 10 first or second year players in a finals win.

First year players - Morabito, Fyfe, Robertson, Crichton and Silvangi

Second year players - Hill, Suban, Walters, De Boer and Broughton

Harvey may not have been a great coach but he gave the young players opportunity and a lot of confidence. 2010 was one of my favourite years as a supporter

Anyone got the link for this? Cheers
So Justin, here’s your contract. It’s a three-year deal. Welcome back to the Fremantle Football Club.”
Fine print: Your star forward will go on personal leave. Your 300-game veteran will break his leg playing with his kids. Both of your key defenders will go down. Your recruit from St Kilda will look great before he breaks down just before round one. Ultimately, none of it will matter because the entire season will be shut down after just one week due to a global virus pandemic. You will have to stand down almost your entire football department and the future of the club will be at risk.
“Just sign at the bottom here. Good luck.”
Today marks six months since Justin Longmuir was installed as Fremantle coach.
At the time, Dockers president Dale Alcock said he stood out as someone who had been preparing for the role for 10 years.
As it turned out, nothing could have prepared Longmuir for what he was about to be thrown into.
A bit like British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who came to power to sort out the Brexit mess, Longmuir has taken on a completely different job to the one he thought he was accepting.
What an extraordinary start to an AFL coaching career.
Justin Longmuir, coach of the Dockers coach addresses the team at the quarter time break during the 2020 Marsh Community Series.
Justin Longmuir, coach of the Dockers coach addresses the team at the quarter time break during the 2020 Marsh Community Series. Credit: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos/AFL via Getty Images
The COVID-19 crisis has no doubt challenged Longmuir in ways he would have never imagined, but in terms of his aspirations to survive and thrive in the AFL jungle, it should at least buy him time.
The 2021 season had loomed as make or break for Longmuir. Just like with Ross Lyon when he was sacked last year, the second-last year of a coach’s contract is usually judgment time.
That’s when boards make the decision to commit to an extension to provide stability and express solidarity, or decide to cut their losses.
In the post-coronavirus world, it’s hard to see any club sacking a contracted coach and paying him out. For the short to medium term, the AFL mightn’t even allow it.
So regardless of whether we fit some sort of season in this year, Longmuir can be confident he has two full years in 2021 and 2022 to show what he can do.
The 2022 season is an eternity away in the current environment and even though the footy world will be vastly different, there is one certainty. It will be crunch time.
Don’t discount the moons aligning for Longmuir if the Dockers are able to keep their squad together. Fremantle will hope to approach a sweet spot by 2022.
David Mundy, who has done well to still be going at 34, and Stephen Hill, whose end could be hastened by injury, might be the only significant retirements between now and then.
Match-winners Nat Fyfe and Michael Walters will be 30 and 31 and could still be near their peak given some luck with injury.
Justin Longmuir and president Dale Alcock at the announcement of Longmuir’s appointment on September 30 last year.
Justin Longmuir and president Dale Alcock at the announcement of Longmuir’s appointment on September 30 last year. Credit: Paul Kane/Paul Kane/Getty Images
Meanwhile, the next generation should have well and truly arrived. The Dockers took five top-10 draft picks from 2017-2019 and by the start of the 2022 season those boys will be men.
Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra will be 22, Caleb Serong 21 and Hayden Young and Liam Henry both 20.
The curve ball thrown by the coronavirus crisis is what it means for the development of Young, Serong and Henry in particular.
That 2019 draft crop was arguably Fremantle’s most important since they took Paul Hasleby, Matthew Pavlich and Leigh Brown in the top five 20 years earlier.
Now at one of the most important development stages of their careers, the prized youngsters are not even at the club.
The WAFL might not get going at all this year and who knows what the competition will look like next year and beyond.
After four years of rebuilding, pain and stripping back, Longmuir has the raw ingredients to take the Dockers up the ladder.
His challenge is to do it in a new football landscape none of us could have imagined.

As someone who can't stand Kane Kornes... This was really excellent.

"Bring your old frail skinny bones with me, we're going to the goal square."

Good job Fyfey.
I was just coming on here to post this.

On the flip side, does that mean Fyfe is partly responsible for the birth of Kornes’ media career? Absolute flog, pays Freo no respect whatsoever.

Yep Kane, the bloke who whinges about football congestion ruining the game, partic. Lyon and Freo, yet spent his whole footy career trying to stop the game's best players from actually using their amazing skills to entertain the paying spectators. I liked Chad though. That guy could really play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe was BOG. His footskills were outstanding and he speared some quality passes but his clean ball handling on another level - some of his pick ups going flat out at the ball. Watching it again I'd go votes for Fyfe, Johnson, Sandilands and Clarke and a raffle for the 5th best.

Scarlett, what a goose. He gave two goals away in a row when they had the lead- Mellington chased him down holding the ball and then he punches Ballas.

Last edited:
Ultimately that 2007-2013 Geelong side and the 2012-2015 Hawthorn sides were always going to be very difficult to beat. Don’t care what anyone says - talent wise compared to us was worlds apart. We did well against Geelong because Ballantyne, Barlow, Sandilands and Pav would destroy them almost every time without fail.

I sometimes wonder if we’d had a second key forward (even Kepler would’ve been good) instead of Clarke and one of Ibbotson, C.Pearce, McPhee or even Broughton instead of Sutcliffe down back whether we would’ve won but I’m still of the opinion Ross Lyon couldn’t have done much more with what he had. I’m thankful for that as a Freo fan and will always remember Ross Lyon’s time here fondly.

Anyone got this one?

WA’s super crop of draftees from last year’s under-18 championship winning team could become prime targets for West Coast and Fremantle to bring home next year.
The leading draftees are normally quickly signed to extensions by their clubs, locking them in beyond their initial two-year contracts, sometimes even before they have played a game.
But the upheaval created by the coronavirus pandemic has meant a freeze has been placed on all player contracts, leaving clubs unable to lock away their best youngsters. The unprecedented AFL shutdown has also disrupted the normal settling-in period for draftees at their clubs, with most of the WA youngsters taken last November returning home to be with their families.

The Eagles and Dockers could get a second crack at some of Peter Sumich’s brilliant class of 2019, which includes gun trio Luke Jackson (Melbourne), Mitch Georgiades (Port Adelaide) and Deven Robertson (Brisbane).
Georgiades and Robertson made their senior debuts in round one before the competition was shut down.
The West Australian understands none of the most recent WA draft crop, which includes eight players taken in the top 40, have extended their automatic two-year contracts.
Greater Western Sydney extended their No. 10 draft pick Tom Green until 2023 just before the contract freeze was imposed.

Industry sources yesterday said clubs had bigger problems on their hands than plotting future trade moves.
Uncertainty over list sizes and the salary cap going forward meant it was possible there would be less player movement in the next year.
“I don’t think clubs will be looking at it and going ‘this is our time to strike’. It’s more just waiting to see and trying to keep the club running first,” one player manager said.
“Everyone’s in the same boat.”
Fremantle’s Liam Henry was the only one of the first nine WA players taken in last year’s national draft to be selected by his home State.
After giving their early picks to Geelong as part of the mega deal to bring Tim Kelly home, West Coast did not enter the draft until pick 49 — when the best nine local prospects were already off the table.
There were 14 players from WA taken in the draft, including midfielder Jeremy Sharp who had attracted strong interest from the Dockers before he was snapped up by Gold Coast with pick 27.
The WA batch also included Trent Rivers (Melbourne), Ronin O’Connor (Adelaide) and Sydney pair Elijah Taylor and Chad Warner.
WA’s top draft picks from the 2018 national draft, Jordan Clark (taken by Geelong at No.15) and Ian Hill (Greater Western Sydney, No.24), are contracted to their clubs until the end of 2022 after signing extensions last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back