Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hopefully I can ease your mind a little. The high risk patients are mainly for longstanding uncontrolled diabetes. If your diabetes has been well managed then your chances of fighting off an infection would be nearly as high as that of a non-diabetic. Similar in situation to a controlled asthmatic vs not well-controlled, would lead to different levels of risk of an infection.
That's comforting to know, John. Thanks mate!

May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Ive never called Beyond Blue however I hope they really assist those in need via phone.

The Sinjin Story if it helps:

Ive had a pretty good upbringing, usual fights with the siblings and two very caring and loving parents.

Then you lose two immediate family members (mind you at my late 20'one child/one parent)sudden those alcohol and coke binges start happening on a Tuesday night. Whilst it sounds like a boast I am on good coin but * did I waste a few relationships there. Ive been sober for 5 weeks, I dont care if other people drink, I dont tell them I dont drink (night off/training for a marathon ill never compete in) but * me I seem to get to addicted to anything to dull my own miserable perception of myself.

Im working through it Valium does the job and the and joint too. Just dont rely on a substance. Assist yes, not to continue. My aim is to look in the mirror and be proud, * money * social media.

Grace This
IMG_0095 (1).JPG

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Whilst i've never posted in this thread. I have read every post on it through a common interest but this above post really hit me so I'd thought I'll share my story. 10 years ago, me and my wife lost our beloved staffy in a very hard way. He was our first child together before we did have kids. He was the most gentle loving sole. Loved by all in the family and the the protector of the kids. At this point he was around 10 or so years old and the kids were 5 and 7. We'd also adopted a little fox terrier along the way for a companion when us humans were not home. He was as fit as a fiddle, walked daily with his little foxy mate.

The first incident happened on a Saturday arvo totally out of nowhere. He had a fit of some kind spinning around in circles. I tried to help but was powerless. Eventually it stopped but he had blood running out his nose. This same thing happened another 3-4 times over the weekend so Monday we rang the vets and was told it was some incurable condition and would be best to put him down at his age. When the kids were at school on the Monday, we had the vet come to our house to do it as the staffy was so scared of the vets. Would tremble and sulk as soon as we'd pull up at the vet building usually

10 minutes before the vet arrived, he had another of these fits and by far the worst and longest. Being upset over this anyway, I'll never forget the screams he made whilst holding him down as the vet struggled putting that bloody needle in him. But just a quick it was over. Traumatised, I buried him in our back yard and just had the one little foxy now.

Anyway, this was the beginning of my downfall. I was on painkillers anyway for a chronic neck injury, but now I started to abuse them to take away my mental pain. Then would go to the docs complaining they were not working so changed to a even heavier pill, one you need increased every few weeks to do the same job. I'm sure some of you will know it. I started mixing them with alcohol to get the required numbness to deal with it and now even life. Was a downhill spiral from then on and even though we got another staffy around 8 months later, I was still unable to cope with life without abusing substances.

I had mild depression anyway before the incident, but now was spiralling out of control. I was suicidal. Through my support network I had built along this downfall it has taken me this long to basically pick myself up and get off those awful meds and now the grog. I now attend AA 3 times a week. Through these meetings I can finally see a future for myself again. Luckily my wife put up with my s**t for all those years and we are still together.

Anyway, the point of my rambling as you probably realise was to advise you to not go down the substance abuse path to cope as it is a temporary fix that actually made my life hell for around 8 years. I wanted out, all over a dog FFS, but thank god for AA. We now have the newer staffy and a dalmation and I just cherish every moment I get with them. Pets help children deal with sickness and death and are a must for every family I beleive.

* this life. My current Staffy had been not acting himself over the last week so I took him to the vets today at 11am. He looks really bloated, not eating, vomiting a lot. Had to leave him there for blood tests, x-ray and ultrasound. Finally get the call at around 4pm from the vet. His liver is full of tumours and is inoperable. WTF WHY? I was finally getting my s**t together again and then this happens.

Went a brought him home for tonight for all of us to say our goodbyes and then we'll have get him put down tomorrow to take away his pain. I honestly don't know if I'm going to be able to cope and keep on the straight and narrow after he's gone. Stressing how my family will handle it, and his female dalmation mate who are joined at the hip almost. Hopefully I can do it

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
fu** this life. My current Staffy had been not acting himself over the last week so I took him to the vets today at 11am. He looks really bloated, not eating, vomiting a lot. Had to leave him there for blood tests, x-ray and ultrasound. Finally get the call at around 4pm from the vet. His liver is full of tumours and is inoperable. WTF WHY? I was finally getting my s**t together again and then this happens.

Went a brought him home for tonight for all of us to say our goodbyes and then we'll have get him put down tomorrow to take away his pain. I honestly don't know if I'm going to be able to cope and keep on the straight and narrow after he's gone. Stressing how my family will handle it, and his female dalmation mate who are joined at the hip almost. Hopefully I can do it
Bugger, so sad for you! Hope you're ok

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
fu** this life. My current Staffy had been not acting himself over the last week so I took him to the vets today at 11am. He looks really bloated, not eating, vomiting a lot. Had to leave him there for blood tests, x-ray and ultrasound. Finally get the call at around 4pm from the vet. His liver is full of tumours and is inoperable. WTF WHY? I was finally getting my s**t together again and then this happens.

Damn, I'm really sorry man. That sucks so much. Please make sure you stop in here for some support. I know it's only small, but we are all here for you. Best wishes. Hope you get through tomorrow.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Best of luck, brother. It is no consolation but this happens to people every day all around the world, sadly part of the joy of having a dear pet is losing them, too. At least you get the chance to say goodbye. I hope you know none of this is your fault and if the vet says this is it, then this is it, you are 100% doing the right thing. Be strong and in time you will feel better, guaranteed, the pain will slowly pass.

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
What a s**t storm this world is atm in the midst of this corona virus. The same vet I took my staffy to yesterday to diagnose him. Told us that due to new corona laws, for them to euthanise him, I would have to wait in the waiting room, while the vet did it. No way. I needed to be with him, and hold him in that final moment. I then asked if the vet would come to my house and do it. Yes, but it would have to be done outside and we'd have to stand at least 2 metres away. * that. :mad:

Rang around and found another vet clinic reasonably close that would actually allow just the one person, myself, in to hold and comfort him through the process.

So here we are. I have my dead dog who was my best friend wrapped up in a sheet in the car waiting to be buried. I'm about to go and dig the hole, knock up a quick box (coffin) to place him in rather than shoveling dirt directly on his lifeless body. I don't know how I feel atm and hope I can pick myself up again without the booze and bongs etc. I feel with everything else going on in the world its going to be hard for me to cope.

The misses is a strong women emotionally thankfully, and the kids (14 & 16) are handling it pretty well too atm. Thanks for your kind words everyone.

What a s**t storm this world is atm in the midst of this corona virus. The same vet I took my staffy to yesterday to diagnose him. Told us that due to new corona laws, for them to euthanise him, I would have to wait in the waiting room, while the vet did it. No way. I needed to be with him, and hold him in that final moment. I then asked if the vet would come to my house and do it. Yes, but it would have to be done outside and we'd have to stand at least 2 metres away. fu** that. :mad:

Rang around and found another vet clinic reasonably close that would actually allow just the one person, myself, in to hold and comfort him through the process.

So here we are. I have my dead dog who was my best friend wrapped up in a sheet in the car waiting to be buried. I'm about to go and dig the hole, knock up a quick box (coffin) to place him in rather than shoveling dirt directly on his lifeless body. I don't know how I feel atm and hope I can pick myself up again without the booze and bongs etc. I feel with everything else going on in the world its going to be hard for me to cope.

The misses is a strong women emotionally thankfully, and the kids (14 & 16) are handling it pretty well too atm. Thanks for your kind words everyone.
Sorry to hear this Niggles. How old was he? I know it's hard, but just remember you did the kindest thing for him. Take care

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry to hear this Niggles. How old was he? I know it's hard, but just remember you did the kindest thing for him. Take care
He was almost 8 so around mid 50's in dog years apparently.

Its over now. My other dog, the female dalmation was watching me dig the hole and Im sure she could smell him in box as the misses and I lowered him into the hole and backfilled it. She's really sad, clingy and knows something has happened but obviously doesn't understand life and death. Just that he's gone. Hope she doesn't try digging the site up

Its just so typical though, I finally posted in this thread, touched by another post, after many years reading other peoples troubles and relating to a lot of them. I just tried to advise others not to follow the substance abuse path I took the last time I lost my dog. Here we are 10 days later and Im burying another. I'd been so busy the last month with work I didn't notice him going down hill. Taking him to the vet yesterday I was thinking he'd just need a jab or new diet or something... he is now gone. * this life. :'(

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
He was almost 8 so around mid 50's in dog years apparently.

Its over now. My other dog, the female dalmation was watching me dig the hole and Im sure she could smell him in box as the misses and I lowered him into the hole and backfilled it. She's really sad, clingy and knows something has happened but obviously doesn't understand life and death. Just that he's gone. Hope she doesn't try digging the site up

Its just so typical though, I finally posted in this thread, touched by another post, after many years reading other peoples troubles and relating to a lot of them. I just tried to advise others not to follow the substance abuse path I took the last time I lost my dog. Here we are 10 days later and Im burying another. I'd been so busy the last month with work I didn't notice him going down hill. Taking him to the vet yesterday I was thinking he'd just need a jab or new diet or something... he is now gone. fu** this life. :'(
Hey man, just checking in on you. How are you coping? We're here for you brother.

I had some ups over february but ended back down where i was near xmas by march again. A lot of drama which i can't mention publicly around friends has got me up sleepless at night, not to mention all the s**t and the world at the moment. I'm just so confused by other people and the way people can act sometimes, i just wished things made sesne more often than not

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I had some ups over february but ended back down where i was near xmas by march again. A lot of drama which i can't mention publicly around friends has got me up sleepless at night, not to mention all the s**t and the world at the moment. I'm just so confused by other people and the way people can act sometimes, i just wished things made sesne more often than not
What's going on, man?

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey man, just checking in on you. How are you coping? We're here for you brother.
Yeah battling on thanks for asking. Keeping very busy to avoid dwelling on those final moments. Worked both days this weekend just gone. Left home at 8am, home at 10 pm both days. Was so tempted to grab some cans both days but maintaining my sobriety if it kills me. Im knackered. Having a real easy one today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's going on, man?
As i said i can't publicly mention a lot of the stuff going on, simply becuase this username is tied to another website with the people i'm worrying over are active

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
As i said i can't publicly mention a lot of the stuff going on, simply becuase this username is tied to another website with the people i'm worrying over are active
Sorry, I misinterpreted what you wrote: I thought you meant you weren't able to talk about it with real life friends, but I thought maybe you can talk about it here. I get it now. You can PM me if you want to talk anything over.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah battling on thanks for asking. Keeping very busy to avoid dwelling on those final moments. Worked both days this weekend just gone. Left home at 8am, home at 10 pm both days. Was so tempted to grab some cans both days but maintaining my sobriety if it kills me. Im knackered. Having a real easy one today.
You're doing as well as can be expected for now, mate. Keeping busy is key - although that's getting harder to accomplish in these crazy CoVid times...

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

my sister just recently put down her German Shepard. He was born with a brain defect, that affected his back legs. So always knew that eventually it would catch up to him. His condition worsened after the new year where he didn’t want to play with other dogs, or chase balls. He tried his hardest to hide the pain from my sister, until he could no longer do it anymore. He is in peace, still very much missed. He chose my sister and her partner as he knew the love and care that they would give him. Your Staffy chose you for the love and support that you and your family were willing to give. For your Dalmatian maybe another pound dog around the same age as a companion?

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thought I’d check in and see how everyone’s doing during this crisis.

While we may be isolating ourselves have lost people dear, have lost our jobs, and we might feel that we are facing uncertainty. It’s more important than ever to reach out and ask for help, to offer support. Borders may be shut, roads may be closed for those that feel alone your not, there are numbers to call, social media or forums to chat to, face time the people you want to see. For the people that have lost their jobs and don’t know how they going to pay off a mortgage or pay or rent, it’s alright to reach out and ask for help. While we may not be able to get you another job or offer financial assistance, we can listen, we can share, we can help each other to rebuild.

it doesn’t make you weak to admit that you need help, it will make you stronger because you accepted that help.

Take care and stay safe. To the frontline health care workers thank you for your courage and empathy.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have to admit, I've had an increase in anxiety of late. The restriction on movements and access to normal things has resulted in a gradual increase in nervous energy. I feel it in my chest at certain times. Part of it stems from the fact that I have elderly friends and relatives interstate who are very much in the vulnerable group, and I have no way of accessing them due to the closed borders. If something were to happen to them, I won't see them again. The other connection I just made is due to an experience I had last year when I was having my shoulder MRIed. I'm a big guy and it was a very small machine. I was jammed in there tighter than a sardine. My face was 2mm from the top and I had my first experience with claustrophobia - something I'd never properly appreciated before. When you're in the machine, they give you a little remote control with an emergency button on it in case you need to communicate with the staff, but my arm was so numb from being wedged in the machine, I couldn't press the button. I yelled out that I needed to come out, but they couldn't hear me over the machine noise, so I was stuck in a claustrophobic panic for nearly 30 minutes. That feeling of confinement was very profound and I'm pretty sure I got some PTSD out of it. I've noticed a few times since that any feeling of confinement gives me some echo of that feeling. Despite being at home being very different in nature, I think the confinement aspect of home isolation has triggered a bit of that PTSD.

I'm dealing with the anxiety by exercising a lot and taking on some new projects. I bought a bunch of wood, screws and other things so I could build some things for the house. I've started building a desk this week. It's coming along nicely. I've noticed that when I'm working on this project, the anxiety levels drop significantly. The key is to stay occupied and not dwell on things you can't control.

How is everyone else doing?

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have to admit, I've had an increase in anxiety of late. The restriction on movements and access to normal things has resulted in a gradual increase in nervous energy. I feel it in my chest at certain times. Part of it stems from the fact that I have elderly friends and relatives interstate who are very much in the vulnerable group, and I have no way of accessing them due to the closed borders. If something were to happen to them, I won't see them again. The other connection I just made is due to an experience I had last year when I was having my shoulder MRIed. I'm a big guy and it was a very small machine. I was jammed in there tighter than a sardine. My face was 2mm from the top and I had my first experience with claustrophobia - something I'd never properly appreciated before. When you're in the machine, they give you a little remote control with an emergency button on it in case you need to communicate with the staff, but my arm was so numb from being wedged in the machine, I couldn't press the button. I yelled out that I needed to come out, but they couldn't hear me over the machine noise, so I was stuck in a claustrophobic panic for nearly 30 minutes. That feeling of confinement was very profound and I'm pretty sure I got some PTSD out of it. I've noticed a few times since that any feeling of confinement gives me some echo of that feeling. Despite being at home being very different in nature, I think the confinement aspect of home isolation has triggered a bit of that PTSD.

I'm dealing with the anxiety by exercising a lot and taking on some new projects. I bought a bunch of wood, screws and other things so I could build some things for the house. I've started building a desk this week. It's coming along nicely. I've noticed that when I'm working on this project, the anxiety levels drop significantly. The key is to stay occupied and not dwell on things you can't control.

How is everyone else doing?

I’m doing alright in the current circumstances. i am missing the social interactions of family and friends. Going to National parks ect as they are now closed. Like yourself I also live interstate from family that are vulnerable, which makes it hard, because as you said it makes it hard to access them in case of emergency. thats great about the desk, I think that’s the key to remaining sane, it’s using your time on being productive. I’m fortunate in that I’m still working, although I’m aware that if I get sick, that could all change. Even if it is a head cold, so in that respect I’m keeping the social distancing. Otherwise I’m doing pretty good.

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Living alone is hard at the moment
My ex is using the current environment to the best of her advantage over my time with the kids
As this pandemic blew up we had completed the first part of mediation over a proper parental agreement for the kids, now she is making it very very difficult
My life is going to work and coming home
Like a lot of people out there I’m very lonely at the moment
Honestly struggling to keep it together

Aug 20, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtics , England FC
What a s**t storm this world is atm in the midst of this corona virus. The same vet I took my staffy to yesterday to diagnose him. Told us that due to new corona laws, for them to euthanise him, I would have to wait in the waiting room, while the vet did it. No way. I needed to be with him, and hold him in that final moment. I then asked if the vet would come to my house and do it. Yes, but it would have to be done outside and we'd have to stand at least 2 metres away. fu** that. :mad:

I’m so sorry to hear about that mate :(

Aug 20, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtics , England FC
Living alone is hard at the moment
My ex is using the current environment to the best of her advantage over my time with the kids
As this pandemic blew up we had completed the first part of mediation over a proper parental agreement for the kids, now she is making it very very difficult
My life is going to work and coming home
Like a lot of people out there I’m very lonely at the moment
Honestly struggling to keep it together

If you ever need to vent you’re more than welcome to message me

Sorry to hear that mate, you're one of my fav people on here so if you need to talk, just PM me

Aug 20, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtics , England FC
* the last few weeks

My dad lost his job and has expressed depression to a new level with suicidal thoughts and he’s in hospital at the moment

Lost mass amount of hours at work
Struggling at Uni due to motivation due to my dad And work.

I’m thinking to message my tutors about what’s going on with my dad and why I haven’t attended the Zoom meetings. I’m hoping I can type some information about the weeks I missed and it counts towards the attendance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back