Remove this Banner Ad

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Although sad a few good coaches lost jobs, I am kinda happy about this finally reaching its conclusion. I grew up going to watch Coburg most Saturdays with my grandfather, some of my best memories as a kid so found it really hard to get behind the Bullants even if they were wearing a navy blue jumper.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
PRobably a long time coming. I wonder where players like Webb sit who trained with Carlton and signed with Northern? Will they come and be a part of our reserves when things get going again?
If the 2020 season gets off the ground Sebb will be part of our extended squad so will get his chance again.

Jul 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Although sad a few good coaches lost jobs, I am kinda happy about this finally reaching its conclusion. I grew up going to watch Coburg most Saturdays with my grandfather, some of my best memories as a kid so found it really hard to get behind the Bullants even if they were wearing a navy blue jumper.
Fitting username.

this is like saying you didn't like watching collingwood beat us when you were a kid so you're ok they've gone extinct - bit heartless........

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Very sad.

But an opportunity for the club to come out the other side with a more closely aligned systematic VFL team.
Precisely my thoughts Plow, a team training and playing exactly the same style with same structures is something we have needed for a long while now, players will know there role, where to run, when to run etc before stepping foot on an AFL field, ready made replacements for any injuries we might have who can seamlessly step straight in without much trouble and play there role in our structure without disrupting the whole, this will be a huge boost to our side and will be another piece to the ever growing puzzle that is our resurgence. One soldier out one soldier in.

However it is a very sad and hard day for the Northern Blues/Bullants, hopefully they can hang in there until times improve and who knows we could see a realignment down the track which I don’t think has been ruled out. Hang in there Preston we are all still rooting for you. 👍🏽🥺

Last edited:

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
this is like saying you didn't like watching collingwood beat us when you were a kid so you're ok they've gone extinct - bit heartless........

Not at all similar, and not what I was saying.. Was more along the lines that I never got behind our reserves/VFL affiliate because my heart was still with the burgers.. I am pasionate about the history of the VFA and that AFL has ruined what was once a great 2nd tier competition. My hope is that the AFL makes its only reserves comp and the VFA could go back to its glory days, with reduced costs and not trying to compete with the AFL i think it could flourish.. I imagine a VFL with Preston, Port, Willy, Coburg, Sandy, Frankston, Box Hill, Springvale(casey), Werribee, North Ballarat, Bendigo, Fitzroy flourishing.. They would need to each align/merge with a TAC team but I think it could work.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
I was always a Springvale supporter back in the day then once they moved to Casey then merged with an AFL team I stopped supporting them all together so naturally adopted the Preston Bullants etc etc as my go to team in the second tier.

I am of the opinion a national reserves comp was a fait accompli at some stage anyway (although maybe on hold for another year or two)
The only thing I didn't like about the alignment was the fixturing which at times in the past was almost a disadvantage, especially when bye rounds followed state games while the AFL side was still competing.
No continuity whatsoever.

I hope Preston can get through this and become a solid standalone club again for the years ahead.:):thumbsu:

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Wasn't much left of the old Preston anyway. I'm pretty sure I heard Andy Maher say on The Carlton Show that the Preston side of the Northern Blues only had 35 members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honour

Debutant
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
So what practical difference will there now be with a Carlton VFL team. 1sts and 2nds train together more often? Play at Princes Park more regularly? Share training facilities? Is this correct? Anything else?

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
So what practical difference will there now be with a Carlton VFL team. 1sts and 2nds train together more often? Play at Princes Park more regularly? Share training facilities? Is this correct? Anything else?

More that David Teague can set the Reserve team with development in mind, and winning is secondary. I am sure Josh Fraser was already doing most of this but at least this formalises it.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I've heard reports that we may look to enter our own VFL team once it starts up again...is that true?

I thought one of the reasons we didn't do this in the past was because it basically costs more money to run a standalone VFL club, so an alignment with Preston was cheaper.

If we're cash strapped how could we afford this? In general I would think a standalone club would be better for the development of our players since we'd have full control and the priority would be playing players in positions to benefit the seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back