FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

That's weird, as recently as the 70s there was a story containing regenerations before Hartnell that were considered to be the Doctor.

A story that didn't change the Dr Who mystery.

Not completely changing everything that came before it.

Last edited:
Well there has always been an mixed interpretation to the events of The Brain of Morbius. My personal opinion had always been the alternate faces (which were actually members of the production staff like Phillip Hinchcliffe, Christopher Barry and Robert Holmes etc) were the previous incarnations of Morbius, a notorious War Criminal of The Time Lords.
That was always the interpretation that made most sense to me, though I don't think it was what they were going for at the time.

Well there has always been an mixed interpretation to the events of The Brain of Morbius. My personal opinion had always been the alternate faces (which were actually members of the production staff like Phillip Hinchcliffe, Christopher Barry and Robert Holmes etc) were the previous incarnations of Morbius, a notorious War Criminal of The Time Lords.

But the writer of that episode said he intended them to be previous faces of the Doctor.

A story that didn't change the Dr Who mystery.

Not completely changing everything that came before it.

An episode in the 70s that said Hartnell wasn't the first doctor didn't change the Doctor's past? Not quite sure that's true.

Anyway my point was these hysterical tears from people saying that Chibnall has ripped up 50-60 years of Doctor Who canon are being frankly ridiculous when the show has never had a consistent canon.

An episode in the 70s that said Hartnell wasn't the first doctor didn't change the Doctor's past? Not quite sure that's true.

Anyway my point was these hysterical tears from people saying that Chibnall has ripped up 50-60 years of Doctor Who canon are being frankly ridiculous when the show has never had a consistent canon.

Technically speaking, you are right, but it was still a bloody annoying and unnecessary thing fof Chibnall to do. I always thought Rassilon and Omega were the founders of The Time Lords (Omega certainly was the one who gave them the ability to Time Travel) and it somehow dimishes the character not being born on Gallifrey (in my opinion)

I will keep watching the show anyway, cause it's always been my favourite show and fictional franchise, and like the struggles of my football teams in recent years (Carlton and Leeds Utd) I still gotta stick fat with it and show loyalty.

I do have to credit to Chibnall credit for the casting and writing of Sacha Dhawan as The Master though, he is The most interesting and dynamic Master since The great Roger Delgado IMO and I loved Michelle Gomez.

There are quotes directly from the writer tho?

Who Robert Holmes or Terrance Duck's? It's been a bone of contention in fandom for years as to who wrote the majority of the story/episodes ? Uncle Terry wrote the meat of the plot as a freelance writer, but was pissed off with rewrites Bob Holmes made it to and asked to have his name taken off it, and when asked by Holmes or Hinchcliffe as to who the story should be credited for the story, he said in a fit of pique 'Oh just any bland name on it'

I certainly not believe that it was Terrance Dicks idea, he was also so respectful to the canon and mythology of the show, ditto Robert Holmes.

Suspect it was a silly idea from show runner at the time Phillip Hinchcliffe as some kind of injoke.

Who Robert Holmes or Terrance Duck's? It's been a bone of contention in fandom for years as to who wrote the majority of the story/episodes ? Uncle Terry wrote the meat of the plot as a freelance writer, but was pissed off with rewrites Bob Holmes made it to and asked to have his name taken off it, and when asked by Holmes or Hinchcliffe as to who the story should be credited for the story, he said in a fit of pique 'Oh just any bland name on it'

I certainly not believe that it was Terrance Dicks idea, he was also so respectful to the canon and mythology of the show, ditto Robert Holmes.

Suspect it was a silly idea from show runner at the time Phillip Hinchcliffe as some kind of injoke.

It was Hinchcliffe, yes, but that doesn't really render the intent of that scene meaningless just because you think it was just meant as a joke.

Respectful of the canon? The canon that during the First and Second Doctor runs at times implied the Doctor was a human who built the TARDIS?

It was Hinchcliffe, yes, but that doesn't really render the intent of that scene meaningless just because you think it was just meant as a joke.

Respectful of the canon? The canon that during the First and Second Doctor runs at times implied the Doctor was a human who built the TARDIS?

Although I do not agree with the majority of many old school fans who are saying that Chibnall destroyed and or recommend the mythology of the show, I can totally sympathasize why many fans think that.

There is also some who believe Susan came up with the acronym of T.A.R.D.I.S .

You are right about there being no fixed/established ccontinuity of the show over all though, for example if it wasn't for Roger Delgado's tragic death in Turkey, the plan was to write The Master off the series, dying/sacrificing himself to save The Doctor, whom it was revealed was his brother (as far as I know)

Mind you, I am one of the few classic fans who really liked The Idea of the Cyber-Brigadier, so who am i to judge ?,

Although I do not agree with the majority of many old school fans who are saying that Chibnall destroyed and or recommend the mythology of the show, I can totally sympathasize why many fans think that.

There is also some who believe Susan came up with the acronym of T.A.R.D.I.S .

You are right about there being no fixed/established ccontinuity of the show over all though, for example if it wasn't for Roger Delgado's tragic death in Turkey, the plan was to write The Master off the series, dying/sacrificing himself to save The Doctor, whom it was revealed was his brother (as far as I know)

Mind you, I am one of the few classic fans who really liked The Idea of the Cyber-Brigadier, so who am i to judge ?,

I liked the Cyber-Brig too as a decent enough way to give him a tribute.

And yes I too felt like Chibnall's reveals in Timeless Children were undeserving of their weight, as I mentioned in here when it first aired, but the constant complaints from a section of the fandom that he has destroyed the continuity are a bit much.

I liked the Cyber-Brig too as a decent enough way to give him a tribute.

And yes I too felt like Chibnall's reveals in Timeless Children were undeserving of their weight, as I mentioned in here when it first aired, but the constant complaints from a section of the fandom that he has destroyed the continuity are a bit much.

Do you buy the animated lost/missing stories/episodes on dvd/blu-ray ? I loved The Power of The Daleks, but really disliked The Macra Terror release, cause the animators took too many 'creative liberties' with the depiction of The Macra, and it was not a faithful rendition to the original/source material.

I am happy we have found precious Troughton episodes in the past 20 years, The Enemy of The World is my favourite 2nd Doctor story, and probably enough evidence to suggest Pat T was the best/most versatile actor to ever play The Doctor, even though Colin Baker is my favourite.

Do you buy the animated lost/missing stories/episodes on dvd/blu-ray ? I loved The Power of The Daleks, but really disliked The Macra Terror release, cause the animators took too many 'creative liberties' with the depiction of The Macra, and it was not a faithful rendition to the original/source material.

I am happy we have found precious Troughton episodes in the past 20 years, The Enemy of The World is my favourite 2nd Doctor story, and probably enough evidence to suggest Pat T was the best/most versatile actor to ever play The Doctor, even though Colin Baker is my favourite.

Yeah I have both. I loved Power because I got to watch it in a cinema so felt really cinematic. I didn't mind Macra but thought the animation wasn't fantastic.

If you aren't keen on liberties being taken you won't be keen to hear in one of the upcoming releases they're putting 'Wanted' posters of two different incarnations of the Master on the wall behind them!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I'm remembering correctly this was a retcon, the whole limit on regenerations thing was only introduced because the writer at the time wanted to do a story about the Doctor running out of regenerations, and apparently felt four was not a weighty enough number, hence inserting pre-Hartnell faces. The storyline was abandoned, hence the re-interpretation.

To give my two cents, I gave up on this show a few years ago, loved watching the show as a kid when they broadcast the whole thing from the 60's onwards on the ABC in the 2000's and loved Eccleston and Tennant, but can't jive with the reboot anymore. The overbearing soundtrack, often blunt and hamfisted moralising, weird meta deification of the main character, and carefully manufactured self-conscious quirkiness are all things I overlooked or enjoyed as a kid but can't really stomach anymore. Going back it's all present in the Eccleston and Tennant seasons as well, but I personally think they give compelling enough performances to overcome all that. Appreciate the good times, but not for me anymore.

Last edited:
If things like this get a lot of positive feedback it's exactly the kind of thing that can be picked up as a stand alone show.

It's up to the fans to make it impossible not to make.

I think the chances of this becoming a show is absolutely remote.

I never liked Eccelston’s or esp Tennant’s Doctor myself and this strikes me as a cynical cash grab by the BBC to take more money from fans via BBC Books, Big Finish Audio and Titan Comics etc

They are re-releasing a third version of a lost animated 60s Classic for example (Power of The Daleks), although it does have some decent new special features, like the 1953 episode of Robin Hood starring Patrick Troughton.

But overall, my point about the BBC milking Doctor Who fans for cash remains (and they have been doing it for years, even before the new series in 2005)

I never liked Eccelston’s or esp Tennant’s Doctor myself and this strikes me as a cynical cash grab by the BBC to take more money from fans via BBC Books, Big Finish Audio and Titan Comics etc

They are re-releasing a third version of a lost animated 60s Classic for example (Power of The Daleks), although it does have some decent new special features, like the 1953 episode of Robin Hood starring Patrick Troughton.

But overall, my point about the BBC milking Doctor Who fans for cash remains (and they have been doing it for years, even before the new series in 2005)

If the money they milk is put into funding better quality animated recreations then I don't mind it.. but I doubt that will be the case.

Surprised you didn't like Eccleston or Tennant's.

If the money they milk is put into funding better quality animated recreations then I don't mind it.. but I doubt that will be the case.

Surprised you didn't like Eccleston or Tennant's.

Eccleston has grown on me a bit as a Doctor over the years, despite still having mostly crap scripts to work with, but I utterly loathe most of The David Tennant era, it’s been put on a pedestal in fandom that i feel is largely unjustified.

For example Gridlock and Midnight are two highly regarded episodes in fandom that I consider to be utter Hull Tiger’s piss. And I couldn’t stand Rose or Donna and would have liked Martha if not for RTD’s idiotic decision to make The Doctor a sex symbol and have companions like Martha and Rose pretty much stalk and or obsess over him.

That honestly shits me far more than anything Chibnall has done to the mythology. Jodie’s Doctor is really growing on me FYI

Eccleston has grown on me a bit as a Doctor over the years, despite still having mostly crap scripts to work with, but I utterly loathe most of The David Tennant era, it’s been put on a pedestal in fandom that i feel is largely unjustified.

For example Gridlock and Midnight are two highly regarded episodes in fandom that I consider to be utter Hull Tiger’s piss. And I couldn’t stand Rose or Donna and would have liked Martha if not for RTD’s idiotic decision to make The Doctor a sex symbol and have companions like Martha and Rose pretty much stalk and or obsess over him.

That honestly shits me far more than anything Chibnall has done to the mythology. Jodie’s Doctor is really growing on me FYI

Midnight is absolutely brilliant, what a crazy take.

Donna was fantastic and that season is ridiculously underrated. Have you re-watched it at all recently? When it first aired I was with you and couldn't stand it but on re-watch almost every episode is absolutely solid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back