Prediction AFL needs to sell clubs to survive

Remove this Banner Ad

More teams = more games = more revenue!!!

The AFL and all other clubs are happy to keep our 2 new clubs running given what they contibute in TV rights.

By the way, does anyone know what the AFL has in cash reserves (from its last annual report). I imagine the have a fistful of dollars in reserve. I'm not saying it's an ideal situation for the comp but it's not dire is my take. Certainly not as bad as what the NRL is faced with.

p.s. I could do it myself but I'm feeling lazy.

Last years Annual Report as the AFL is today: no income, welching on agreements to players, not performing in line with the TV contracts, with stadiums, & at Marvel with catering, pourage ...... thats just the start.

Gil is looking tired for good reason.

As for selling clubs, who would buy a club to lose money?

Last years Annual Report as the AFL is today: no income, welching on agreements to players, not performing in line with the TV contracts, with stadiums, & at Marvel with catering, pourage ...... thats just the start.

Gil is looking tired for good reason.

As for selling clubs, who would buy a club to lose money?

Nearly every owner of a sports club ever!

Western Bulldogs moving to WA is an interesting idea. They don't have to change the name or club song.

I'd consider moving Melbourne to Tasmania. There'd be a name change, yes, but they could easily become the Devils and not have to change their club song or colours.

Saints and Norf, cya later.

Western Bulldogs moving to WA is an interesting idea. They don't have to change the name or club song.

I'd consider moving Melbourne to Tasmania. There'd be a name change, yes, but they could easily become the Devils and not have to change their club song or colours.

Saints and Norf, cya later.

You cant export clubs.

Anyway, Tas doesn't need any more Vic clubs coming here wanting financial life support.

Good luck to them all, but let them sink or swim at home.

FWIW this what I think the AFL could look like going forward;

Carlton - MCG
Collingwood - MCG
Essendon - Docklands
Geelong - KP
Hawks - MCG
Melbourne - MCG
Kangaroos- Tasmania / Docklands
Richmond- MCG
Bulldogs - Docklands

MCG tenants each to 2x games docklands as part of the package to sell the ground

Swans - SCG / 2x Canberra
West Coast - Perth
Fremantle - Perth
Adelaide - AO
Brisbane Lions - Gabba

Majority of clubs saved.

Carlton - MCG
Collingwood - MCG
Essendon - Docklands
Geelong - KP
Hawks - MCG
Melbourne - MCG
Richmond- MCG
Bulldogs - Docklands

MCG tenants each to 2x games docklands as part of the package to sell the ground

West Coast - Perth
Fremantle - Perth
Adelaide - AO
Brisbane Lions - Gabba

Majority of clubs saved.

no chance the AFL lose the saints as a Marvel tenant AND agree to relocate Carlton FT to the G. If anything they will drag more of your games back to Marvel, and force the rest to do more too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 huge financial black holes for the AFL nearly $50 million between them last season alone.
That is just not sustainable over a period of time, and the current covis-19 crisis will devastate the games reserves, like it will all sports.

According to reports, they bring in around $100m per annum in broadcast rights.

2 huge financial black holes for the AFL nearly $50 million between them last season alone.
That is just not sustainable over a period of time, and the current covis-19 crisis will devastate the games reserves, like it will all sports.

How much money do they generate through tv deals? What about new fans to the game?

And the Demons? And they’ve had over 100 years to get it right in the heartland of the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlton - MCG
Collingwood - MCG
Essendon - Docklands
Geelong - KP
Hawks - MCG
Melbourne - MCG
Richmond- MCG
Bulldogs - Docklands

West Coast - Perth
Fremantle - Perth
Adelaide - AO
Brisbane Lions - Gabba

Majority of clubs saved.

Still after Tas money I see.

& long term contracts at stadiums will bleed money.

The AFL should be thoroughly reviewed not just move around the chairs on the Titanlc.

More teams = more games = more revenue!!!

This is the simple and undeniable truth.
The AFL has created a huge football industry which can be trimmed immensely.
The AFL has reserves and assets.
The AFL will look at every available facet of it's operation.
Regional AFL - low attendances and travel costs but they are usually underwritten with $500,000.
The AFLW - setting up and running costs but a stripped down model could make money through media rights.
The game in China - actually makes money, but a home game might make more.

Really? We are only a few mil off now and we started over 100 years later and not in a heartland city. Think we will overtake in the not to distant future.

There has been considerable set up costs for GWS but people keep on forgetting that this is underwritten by the media rights.
Now that the GWS is on track and likely to boom in the near future you'd be an idiot to can a club
that is now better situated than most NRL clubs in Sydney - actually better situated than most NRL clubs currently.

According to reports, they bring in around $100m per annum in broadcast rights.

One could say they DID bring in $100mil.

I doubt their is anywhere near the money to be had for media rights moving forward.

I think the NRL, AFL, RU, Cricket Australia, Netball, A league etc are shitting themselves over this very real situation.

The AFL, Netball & Cricket will rely on their substantial fan bases to help them rebuild. The rest are up some creek without a paddle one might suspect.

Within the AFL, their will be a lot of soul searching to see which, if not all, clubs can survive.

We could think of 4-5 clubs whose future must be problematic.

The expansion clubs must be under a cloud. Small supporter bases, Questions over sponsors ability to continue support & likewise for media rights money.

Other clubs who have line ball finances might fins it tough.

Reducing player, administrators & support staff/footy department costs/payments would undoubtedly help.

Would that be enough?????

Doggies are worth 45 mill. Our profits were 11 mill last year alone and our club is worth over 100 mill.
A bank would easily give us the loan based on those figures. You could come out West and even keep your name.

It would be $45 mil that would bankrupt you. WA just need another club or two, your state is big enough, get you having to work for your members instead of being an arrogant empty entity, with history that comes from being part of the VFL system which you had to buy into.

Either that or break away, and start your own competition. I don’t have a problem travelling to NSW, SA, or QLD, but it’s too far to WA, it was a mistake letting you join the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back