North "unrealized potential" teams

We could probably take this a little further and include Under-19's players. You could make a case for someone like Damien Hardwick & the like.

And John MacNamara just has to be included. Now John, it's not a great idea to talk back to your coach - especially when it's Denis Pagan - at most quarter time breaks.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
We could probably take this a little further and include Under-19's players. You could make a case for someone like Damien Hardwick & the like.

And John MacNamara just has to be included. Now John, it's not a great idea to talk back to your coach - especially when it's Denis Pagan - at most quarter time breaks.

I definitely gave him thought. :thumbsu:

One from more recent times, as I don't have good enough knowledge of our lists prior to the mid 90's.

B: David Teague, Joel Perry, David Trotter
HB: Cam Delaney, Nathan Grima, Jesse Smith (c)
C: Callum Urch, Jeremy Clayton, Ryan Bastinac
HF: Leigh Adams, Evan Hewitt, Kieran Harper
F: Aaron Black, Nathan O'Keefe, Shane Harvey
Foll: Hamish McIntosh, Blake Grima, Dylan Smith
INT: Gavin Uruqhart, Ben Speight, Cruize Garlett, Leigh Brown
Emg: Matt Campbell, Brad McKenzie, Eddie Sansbury, Ben Warren
Benny Speight! I remember watching him in Adelaide when on a footy trip, kicked 3 in a half in a semi, iirc, then rolled an ankle. I was stoked he came to us, defo cruelled. Brent LeCras could roll in there too maybe.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Benny Speight! I remember watching him in Adelaide when on a footy trip, kicked 3 in a half in a semi, iirc, then rolled an ankle. I was stoked he came to us, defo cruelled. Brent LeCras could roll in there too maybe.

He had so much talent...his explosiveness and long kicking had the potential to break games apart. I spoke
To him when he was playing at bacchus marsh 3 years ago, and he said he was never the same after his shoulder and ankle surgeries. Like Aaron Black, Ben struggled to lift his reconstructed shoulder above his head.

He had so much talent...his explosiveness and long kicking had the potential to break games apart. I spoke
To him when he was playing at bacchus marsh 3 years ago, and he said he was never the same after his shoulder and ankle surgeries. Like Aaron Black, Ben struggled to lift his reconstructed shoulder above his head.

A nice young bloke too. His running goal against the bombers at the dome was a ripper, and he was involved in another later on. A smart footballer.

In approximate position, to make a side up, and must be retired.

Injury, opportunity or poor application.

B: Stephen Hamilton, Jonathan Hay, Ben Buckley

HB: Richard Michalczyk, Terry Moore, Jesse Smith

C: Phil Kelly, John Byrne, John Holt

HF: Anthony Furey, Peter Jonas, Keiran Harper

F: Jason Love, John Frazer, Shane Harvey

R: Stephen Easton, Ben Jacobs*, Mark Dawson

Int: Eric Lissenden, Daryl Schimmelbusch, Callum Urch, Jeremy Clayton, Blake Grima, Liam Pickering, Paul Spargo

*I took a liberty, but sadly, I consider him retired.

Lol. Ben Buckley’s, obviously, trying to make up for it now!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You think he had another level?!!!!

I think that one season of ridiculous football followed up by cack indicates that there was unfulfilled potential there.

He wouldn't have had to go to another level.

If he'd been able to maintain even part of what he had in 93 he'd have played well more than his 3 seasons with us.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I had to google John Frazer
I’d like to hear more about him

I’d like to throw Kevin Hughes into the ring

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

John used to kill it in the " two's " Uber. Memory correct he kicked the ton twice in the early games. Robbie Smith also around at the same time doing the same thing.
But we had Wade > Baker > Blight.

He was pretty one dimensional mark & kick and a tad slow like Robbie. Had a couple of chances and couldn't nail them. Same when he went to St. Kilda.

Not sure where he ended up but would have been one of those blokes kicking 150 + in the bush leagues.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I think that one season of ridiculous football followed up by cack indicates that there was unfulfilled potential there.

If he'd been able to maintain even part of what he had in 93 he'd have played well more than his 3 seasons with us.

We'll A2D on this one OF, although I concede it can be viewed either way. :thumbsu:

IMO, he couldn't adjust to more rigorous team play mate. In fact, that's his opinion too:

1585565015396.png

Everyone critiques & no one posts a side.

Probably because yours is a pretty fair side and sticks to the parameters you placed on the team. Plus I'm never much good at remembering a lot of those boys until their names are written down in front of me.

A name that does spring to mind though is Dylan Smith. Pick 6 in the 2000 Draft but never fulfilled the potential he had.

We'll A2D on this one OF, although I concede it can be viewed either way. :thumbsu:

IMO, he couldn't adjust to more rigorous team play mate. In fact, that's his opinion too:

View attachment 849638

My point would be:

AM - I did bludge here and there and didn't do that extra hard training the others did.

Your criteria:
poor application

At even 80% of his first year he'd have been a gun. If he'd done it for 5+ years he'd be venerated around here.

Happy to agree to disagree.

Plus I'm never much good at remembering a lot of those boys until their names are written down in front of me.
This would be my stance as well.

I know the odd bloke here and there.

Selecting a whole side, beyond my knowledge.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Probably because yours is a pretty fair side and sticks to the parameters you placed on the team. Plus I'm never much good at remembering a lot of those boys until their names are written down in front of me.

A name that does spring to mind though is Dylan Smith. Pick 6 in the 2000 Draft but never fulfilled the potential he had.

That’s the draft that set us back big time - 3 picks inside 14 and pretty much got nothing out of them.
Our first round picks have been a waste since day dot - looks to have rectified that over the last few years.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He was found out. Opposition teams worked him over and figured him out. He wasn't done in by injury, application or opportunity.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
John used to kill it in the " two's " Uber. Memory correct he kicked the ton twice in the early games. Robbie Smith also around at the same time doing the same thing.
But we had Wade > Baker > Blight.

He was pretty one dimensional mark & kick and a tad slow like Robbie. Had a couple of chances and couldn't nail them. Same when he went to St. Kilda.

Not sure where he ended up but would have been one of those blokes kicking 150 + in the bush leagues.

I'm pretty sure he kicked a squillion in the under 19's as well.

Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A player that has always baffled me on the unrealized talent front is Tony Furey. His light shone pretty brightly for one year in 1983. He easily broke into what turned out to be the best home and away team in the league that year. He was certainly different. His lack of pace stood out but he easily overcame that with good vision, hand and foot skills and he had great lateral movement. He seemed to step through traffic easily and was above average overhead. Although he had some injury problems, his influence and game seemed to evaporate as quickly as it came.

Back