Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Doc Larkins

All Australian
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think people will become active and more social after this particularly intially. In regards to Sponsorship some will step back but I'd say 95% of Sponsorships to Country Club's are below 5k so while it will hurt Club's who are prepared to do their Woodcuts, Haycarting and run that extra function will be ok in most cases.
Gate Entry going up $3 would make a big difference over the course of the Season as well. Season Memberships up a touch too.

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
I think people will become active and more social after this particularly intially. In regards to Sponsorship some will step back but I'd say 95% of Sponsorships to Country Club's are below 5k so while it will hurt Club's who are prepared to do their Woodcuts, Haycarting and run that extra function will be ok in most cases.

Geez I carted some hay for footy.
Probably a better hay Carter than footy player.

Do they still do that. Too many School teachers at Rochy to get hay carted

Doc Larkins

All Australian
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Geez I carted some hay for footy.
Probably a better hay Carter than footy player.

Do they still do that. Too many School teachers at Rochy to get hay carted
Probably not as much these days but something they might be able to tap back into.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gate Entry going up $3 would make a big difference over the course of the Season as well. Season Memberships up a touch too.
Doubt when/if country footy gets going again that raising gate prices and memberships would something I would advocate at club/league level.

Forget economic recession, every chance it could be worse than that in 6 mths. Will be an entirely new landscape when footy starts again. Most local sponsors will not be able/willing to commit as many $$.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
[/QUOTE]
Doubt when/if country footy gets going again that raising gate prices and memberships would something I would advocate at club/league level.

Forget economic recession, every chance it could be worse than that in 6 mths. Will be an entirely new landscape when footy starts again. Most local sponsors will not be able/willing to commit as many $$.

Many issues will present themselves Silver and some of those will be unknown for some time. I think there will be a total restructure of leagues and possible mergers of clubs in the local area. The main concern will be the attainment of players when the predicted unemployment level could reach 30%. Young people will need to go to where the work is. Others will choose work over football to ease the financial pressures that this thing has thrown at us.I'm hopeful for a really positive outcome but feel it will be 2021 before a ball is bounced. Within that time frame there is going to be significant changes taking place. There will not be enough football journalists to cover all the big footy stories that unfold.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Many issues will present themselves Silver and some of those will be unknown for some time. I think there will be a total restructure of leagues and possible mergers of clubs in the local area. The main concern will be the attainment of players when the predicted unemployment level could reach 30%. Young people will need to go to where the work is. Others will choose work over football to ease the financial pressures that this thing has thrown at us.I'm hopeful for a really positive outcome but feel it will be 2021 before a ball is bounced. Within that time frame there is going to be significant changes taking place. There will not be enough football journalists to cover all the big footy stories that unfold.

Tightening of finances could also mean people re-engage with their local community groups due to not being able to afford to travel to melb etc as often .
I can’t see talent programs like the NAB cup surviving , whilst the V FL is going to find it difficult .
Might be an ideal time to turn the clock back as such and have u19’s and reserves at AFL level .

Doc Larkins

All Australian
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I'd happily pay a few extra bucks to go to the local Footy ( & I'm sure many would to help Club's re establish themselves) I think one local Comp is still at $8 a pop so their overdue for a rise anyway. The Government looks committed to proping businesses up and giving them a chance to kick again as well. Like Roar said I think people could well appreciate and support their local Club's more when it gets going again as well. People aren't going to sit at home after this is over even if they aren't flying financially. I think if Club's and businesses for that fact topple over they we're probably well under the pump and on the way out before this happened.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd happily pay a few extra bucks to go to the local Footy ( & I'm sure many would to help Club's re establish themselves) I think one local Comp is still at $8 a pop so their overdue for a rise anyway. The Government looks committed to proping businesses up and giving them a chance to kick again as well. Like Roar said I think people could well appreciate and support their local Club's more when it gets going again as well. People aren't going to sit at home after this is over even if they aren't flying financially. I think if Club's and businesses for that fact topple over they we're probably well under the pump and on the way out before this happened.
Can we revisit your post in two weeks Doc?

Planet Larkins is on a different axis to the one I am living. Let's wait and see.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
2 weeks is too soon. I hope your not on a Committee because your doom and gloom first before any optimism.
Read your post #791 where you claim 'clubs and businesses that topple
over were probably under the pump and on the way out anyway ...'

Have you heard of Qantas or Virgin airlines Doc? David Jones? Not sure any of these multi-nationals were under the pump prior to this situation. And they all fell over.

I'm not on a committee at present, but I am thankfully, still employed.

Doc Larkins

All Australian
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Read your post #791 where you claim 'clubs and businesses that topple
over were probably under the pump and on the way out anyway ...'

Have you heard of Qantas or Virgin airlines Doc? David Jones? Not sure any of these multi-nationals were under the pump prior to this situation. And they all fell over.

I'm not on a committee at present, but I am thankfully, still employed.
Qantas, Virgin and David Jones aren't overly relevant to the Sponsorship of Country Football Club's.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Doc the point silver is trying to make is if these large businesses topple over, then it's very likely that a lot of small businesses will do the same and not be able to provide sponsorship to country clubs.

Ringo Also raises the point where young people will increase to shift away to gain employment and not come back to footy. Then there is the likelihood clubs cant recruit players as they have no money. Many people on this thread may be required to make a comeback, ringo looks fit enough he could slot onto a wing and roota on the other wing, that might get the crowds back

Qantas, Virgin and David Jones aren't overly relevant to the Sponsorship of Country Football Club's.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Doc the point silver is trying to make is if these large businesses topple over, then it's very likely that a lot of small businesses will do the same and not be able to provide sponsorship to country clubs.

Ringo Also raises the point where young people will increase to shift away to gain employment and not come back to footy. Then there is the likelihood clubs cant recruit players as they have no money. Many people on this thread may be required to make a comeback, ringo looks fit enough he could slot onto a wing and roota on the other wing, that might get the crowds back

Outside mid would suit Trent! On a serious note reserves football could be finished! Might be time for some Super Rules curtain raisers.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda

I’ve said this before old mate...I’m not setting foot outside forward 50!!

nesko_25

Club Legend
Feb 5, 2006
In a cave
AFL Club
Essendon
May well be on my own in thinking this ( won’t be the first time ) but I think the current pandemic will see a good future in agriculture and as such a good future for country footy .
The trends in agriculture is changing towards larger holdings and less family run operations with a significant amount of inter-community migration to the larger centers. Unfortunately any successful farm still requires good soil and water - will need more than COVID-19 to fix our current issues.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
One competition that maybe forced to end, and I won’t be sorry to see it go, is the state U18 comp.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Been saying for awhile that it should become a tiered school system. Abolish the system and also use the state Leagues if it survives to recruit young players.

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
May well be on my own in thinking this ( won’t be the first time ) but I think the current pandemic will see a good future in agriculture and as such a good future for country footy .

Totally agree Roar.

Corporate farming will take a hit which enables smaller operations Which will bring back people. May not be to live on the farm but could will bring people back to farming towns

Back