Sweet Reality Presents: Stuff I have cooked and shared recipe thread

I always pre cook all my ingredients, especially on pizza but more on that later, it’s revolutionary, keep it between us yeah?

Spot on young Leopard! I go through spells of making veal stock and always begin by roasting my beef bones separate to another baking tray of veggie aromatics.

Cook a chicken schnitzel, whack it under the grill with some Sacla cherry tomato sauce, ham and mozzarella, cook up some chips, pile the parma on the chips, place two sunny side up runny eggs on top and gravy to finish.
Grab a sheet of puff pastry. Whack on a slice of ham, a chicken breast, more ham, I add mushroom and spinach, handful of tasty cheese, fold the pastry up into a parcel (use some extra pastry if you need to so you can seal the parcel). Cook at 200 for minutes or until pastry has risen and is browned. Cover with gravy.

Sometimes, I like to make a pizza variation using tomato paste, diced ham, olives, mushroom, pineapple with the chicken. No gravy required.
Filth Floater

Grab two meat pies from the freezer, whack 'em in the oven. Any flavour will do but prefer beef. When cooked, stack on top of each other in a bowl. Cover with a heated tin of beaked beans. Sauce to taste.

We should be together man...

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Magnificent!!

Bloke food at it's best.

Single bloke food at it's best. My wife almost vomited when I told her this was a weekly staple.

Sep 6, 2009
FNQ
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Bears
Cooking is all about inspiration, invention and what ever hankering you have at the particular time. I have never followed a recipe in my life, yet I have produced magnificent staples in my life that have made people blush and toilets flush

Sep 6, 2009
FNQ
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Bears
Johan's Pizza

Get a supreme frozen pizza.
Cook it most of the way, maybe 2/3 of the suggested time.
Smother the fu** out of it with diced capsicum and tasty cheese.

Enjoy.

Agree, except why stop there? Smother it with real salami and then more cheese. Then, if you think it has enough cheese, it probably hasn't. More. Cook until cheese has a golden brown yummo! on top

Agree, except why stop there? Smother it with real salami and then more cheese. Then, if you think it has enough cheese, it probably hasn't. More. Cook until cheese has a golden brown yummo! on top

Great Zeus, I love the molten lava of cheese.

* My one departure from traditional Italian pizzas is doubling or tripling the amount of cheese.
* A simple grilled cheese open sanger with a chopped anchovy and a scatter of a few drained and flash fried capers.
* With chilly Autumn nights approaching there is nothing better than a big bowl of French Onion Soup - enriched by a kick-arse chicken stock, beautiful slow sweated sweet onions and a bit of fennel and garlic. The Soup mix benefits from any spare rinds of cheese chucked in to the pot and at the end a big shot of brandy. To finish just bring soup to a simmer, toast some sour dough bread and smother with cheese (to your taste). Pour soup into oven proof bowls, carefully place toast covered to excess with cheese and plonk in the oven until the cheese is volcanic.

I think we all need to liberate the cheese rounds held captive by manangatang

Sep 6, 2009
FNQ
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Bears
Great Zeus, I love the molten lava of cheese.

* My one departure from traditional Italian pizzas is doubling or tripling the amount of cheese.
* A simple grilled cheese open sanger with a chopped anchovy and a scatter of a few drained and flash fried capers.
* With chilly Autumn nights approaching there is nothing better than a big bowl of French Onion Soup - enriched by a kick-arse chicken stock, beautiful slow sweated sweet onions and a bit of fennel and garlic. The Soup mix benefits from any spare rinds of cheese chucked in to the pot and at the end a big shot of brandy. To finish just bring soup to a simmer, toast some sour dough bread and smother with cheese (to your taste). Pour soup into oven proof bowls, carefully place toast covered to excess with cheese and plonk in the oven until the cheese is volcanic.

I think we all need to liberate the cheese rounds held captive by manangatang

Sounds Ok, but needs more cheese

Sounds Ok, but needs more cheese

We do need to be nice to manangatang since we are nicking his friends and donating them to our bowls of onion soup. I suggest we leave him the red waxed coverings of his less than Gouda. He needs some company.

No. Only capsicum.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I can’t work out which posts are official entries and which are just rambling. I held onto partial sobriety long enough to get my risotto happening and it turned out really well. THEN I got drunk. But I remembered the photo so here goes.

RISOTTO NERO by PG

This was inspired by a restaurant I went to in London once that served risotto Nero with extra sautéed calamari and tomatoes, which was nice and looked pretty. Most of the ingredients I already had to hand - just had to buy some cherry tomatoes and a calamari tube.

Ingredients:

RISOTTO
- 700 mls Home made fish stock (made from simmering cleaned snapper head and bones, celery, carrot, leek, onion, fennel in 1.5 litres of water)
- 160g vialone nano risotto rice
- 10g (2 sachets) squid ink
- 2 banana shallots very finely diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 birds eye chillies, seeds removed and finely diced
- 100 mls white wine
- 100g squid hood, diced into 0.5 centimetre pieces
- tbsp olive oil
- 30g butter
- salt and pepper

FRIED CALAMARI and TOMATOES
- 1/2 small calamari tube sliced into rings
- handful of cherry tomatoes and tomatillos
- 1/2 banana shallot fine diced
- olive oil
- flaked sea salt
- chervil
- juice of half a lemon

So I heated the oil and melted the butter in a medium saucepan, and sweated the banana shallots, garlic and chilli for about 5 minutes until soft. Then I dumped in the rice and stirred it around a bit until coated and slightly toasted - then turned the heat up to medium and deglazed with white wine. Then I added the squid ink and stirred to turn the rice black, the wooden spoon black and the saucepan black. And the back of my thumb black where I spilled some.

I forgot to mention I had already heated the stock in another small saucepan. I then did the risotto thing, adding stock to the rice one ladle at a time and stirring until absorbed. After about 3 ladles I add the diced calamari and continue stirring, adding ladles of stock. Eventually (in spite of the international conspiracy to pretend risotto cooks in half the time it actually does) the rice is expanded and very nearly al dente. Season to taste, add a drizzle of oil, turn off hot plate and cover with a lid. It will finish cooking in the residual heat.

In a small sauté pan I heated olive oil, added diced shallot, calamari rings, cherry tomatoes and tomatillos (I grow these so have to think up things to do with them) and stirred around for 3 minutes or so until the calamari rings are cooked and the tomatoes slightly softened. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt.

I served up two portions of risotto nero topped with the calamari and squid sauté, drizzled with some lemon juice and scattered with some chervil sprigs.

I have to say it tasted awesome. Trick with risotto Nero is that any recipe which tells you to use one sachet of ink - don’t. Double it. Black rice is kind of weirdly interesting. With just one sachet you kind of get greyish rice, and grey is not an appealing colour when it comes to food. Here is a photo

5BD28ADE-1D4C-4245-AECA-F85CDE819429.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
OOB
I can’t work out which posts are official entries and which are just rambling. I held onto partial sobriety long enough to get my risotto happening and it turned out really well. THEN I got drunk. But I remembered the photo so here goes.

RISOTTO NERO by PG

This was inspired by a restaurant I went to in London once that served risotto Nero with extra sautéed calamari and tomatoes, which was nice and looked pretty. Most of the ingredients I already had to hand - just had to buy some cherry tomatoes and a calamari tube.

Ingredients:

RISOTTO
- 700 mls Home made fish stock (made from simmering cleaned snapper head and bones, celery, carrot, leek, onion, fennel in 1.5 litres of water)
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 100 mls white wine
- tbsp olive oil
- 30g butter
- salt and pepper

- olive oil
- flaked sea salt
- chervil
- juice of half a lemon

So I heated the oil and melted the butter in a medium saucepan, and sweated the banana shallots, garlic and chilli for about 5 minutes until soft. Then I dumped in the rice and stirred it around a bit until coated and slightly toasted - then turned the heat up to medium and deglazed with white wine. Then I added the squid ink and stirred to turn the rice black, the wooden spoon black and the saucepan black. And the back of my thumb black where I spilled some.

I forgot to mention I had already heated the stock in another small saucepan. I then did the risotto thing, adding stock to the rice one ladle at a time and stirring until absorbed. After about 3 ladles I add the diced calamari and continue stirring, adding ladles of stock. Eventually (in spite of the international conspiracy to pretend risotto cooks in half the time it actually does) the rice is expanded and very nearly al dente. Season to taste, add a drizzle of oil, turn off hot plate and cover with a lid. It will finish cooking in the residual heat.

In a small sauté pan I heated olive oil, added diced shallot, calamari rings, cherry tomatoes and tomatillos (I grow these so have to think up things to do with them) and stirred around for 3 minutes or so until the calamari rings are cooked and the tomatoes slightly softened. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt.

I served up two portions of risotto nero topped with the calamari and squid sauté, drizzled with some lemon juice and scattered with some chervil sprigs.

I have to say it tasted awesome. Trick with risotto Nero is that any recipe which tells you to use one sachet of ink - don’t. Double it. Black rice is kind of weirdly interesting. With just one sachet you kind of get greyish rice, and grey is not an appealing colour when it comes to food. Here is a photo

View attachment 850447
Wow that looks amazing, great job PG

Aug 21, 2009
The Superego’s Palace
AFL Club
Carlton

RISOTTO NERO by PG

Ingredients:

RISOTTO
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 100 mls white wine
- tbsp olive oil
- 30g butter
- salt and pepper

- olive oil
- flaked sea salt
- chervil
- juice of half a lemon

View attachment 850447
Magnificent PG! Outstanding. I am a little perturbed at the portion, I would normally eat about 6 times that much for a snack.

Back in the day, in another lifetime, I used to make a squid ink infused linguini with mussels, scallops, prawns and calamari.
A white sauce would accompany said delights, consisting of garlic, cream, white wine, butter and parsley.
Probably been 20 years since I’ve made that particular meal.

Tonight is exciting. Tonight is homemade sliders with beer battered chips.
Tonight, my arteries will clog up and explode, metaphorically of course.

Back