NMFC "Hard nut" 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, Peter Chisnall was on my list. John Cassin probably worth consideration. I remember Allan Carr and that incident in the VFA.
An update- I know we have ruckmen already, but what about Mick's dad, Bryan "Skinny" Martyn? Didn't see him play but my dad said he was tough as. He was still doing some physical work around the Club in the early 2000s when he had a terminal illness! I have an * past player acquaintance who had his lip and teeth rearranged by Skinny under the 'lights' during the end of season competition.

An update- I know we have ruckmen already, but what about Mick's dad, Bryan "Skinny" Martyn? Didn't see him play but my dad said he was tough as. He was still doing some physical work around the Club in the early 2000s when he had a terminal illness! I have an * past player acquaintance who had his lip and teeth rearranged by Skinny under the 'lights' during the end of season competition.

Definitely a worthy hard nut Bert, but it's hard to go past Johnny Lewis who would have serious claims for the VFL/AFL all time hard nut side, and I wanted to give Carr a mention.

Was Spud Firrito classed as a tough nut?..

Indeed, another defender worthy of a spot, but who wouldn't displace the six I mentioned.

Whack a side up mate.

From The Wimmera Mail-Times (30/9/2010):

FORMER Minyip hardman Laurie Icke died in Ballarat on Sunday, aged 82.

Icke played 57 games for North Melbourne in the Victorian Football League between 1952 and 1955 before moving to the Wimmera Football League to coach Minyip.
He led Minyip to the 1956 grand final, losing to Ararat by 13 points in a heated battle. Ken Milgate played with Icke at Minyip and said he was fearless and tough.

"We played in a final at Horsham in 1956 and Bluey O'Halloran, from Ararat and a pretty good footballer, he came out of the pack and Laurie broke his nose and they had to carry him off," Milgate said.
"He was a pretty tough man. If anyone was in his road, he'd knock them over.

"His eyes used to be glazed. He was a beauty."
Milgate said pain did not stop Icke.
"He was pretty tough. Playing Horsham one day, he had a broken bone in his leg and kept playing," he said.
"He was fearless."
Kevin Krelle, whose father Alf along with Hugh Drum got Icke to Minyip, said Icke left a lasting impression on the league.
"He was at his peak, 27 when he came up here. Pretty young," Krelle said.
"He never hit with his fists, just had a strong body.
"He was a good drop kick. He could kick a ball 50 or 60 yards in the wet."
Milgate said Icke was paid much more at Minyip than he was at North Melbourne.
"He used to tell a story and it was true. He was on eight quid a week at North Melbourne and Minyip-Murtoa paid 20 quid, that's a big improvement," he said.

As requested

All retired.

Work in progress.

B: Pat Kelly, Jock McCorkell, Glenn Archer

HB: Ted Jarrard, Scott Thompson, Albert Mantello

C: Wally Carter, ???????????, Wayne Schwass (Passmore)

HF:Sam Kekovich, Wayne Carey, Fred Rutley

F: Jason Love, ????????, Joe Tankard

R: Johnny Lewis, Anthony Stevens, Jim Krakeour

Int: Allan Carr, Laurie Icke, Callum Urch, Ross Glendinning

Cunners?

Arnie liked a stoush and dished it out.
Glenn Hawker can attest to this. He made the very silly mistake of shaping up to Arnie about 100m off the ball in the '83 Prelim Final and moments later was laying flat on his back. Needless to say, he required the assistance of the training staff in order to get off the ground.

I normally wouldn't condone off the ball violence, but it was a f***ing ripper of a punch.

And Arnie wasn't even the toughest/maddest in his family - his brother Robbie was an absolute nutter.

Glenn Hawker can attest to this. He made the very silly mistake of shaping up to Arnie about 100m off the ball in the '83 Prelim Final and moments later was laying flat on his back. Needless to say, he required the assistance of the training staff in order to get off the ground.

I normally wouldn't condone off the ball violence, but it was a f***ing ripper of a punch.

And Arnie wasn't even the toughest/maddest in his family - his brother Robbie was an absolute nutter.

Solid unit Arnie. Opened his first sports store with Shane Zantuck out at Meadow Fair in Broady back in the day. Went to the opening.

Tell you who else is a mountain. Kerry Good. Stood next to him at a pre-season kids day a few years ago. Looked after himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back