Should I have the right to a club membership refund?

Remove this Banner Ad

If only 10 games this year and they dont change next years cost, would you take merchandise credit for say half this years cost?
Only if N95 masks, hand sanitiser, and toilet paper with the team logo are on the shelf by Friday cob.

Of course you should be able to, especially if you're facing financial hardship at the moment due to the pandemic.

Me personally though, my wage is fortunately safe and I'm happy to support the club through this tough time even if it unfortunately means I won't be able to go to a game this season.

So no if you are a Collingwood member

Hate to admit it but I’m with Ed on this one.

You’re a member of a football club. The fee is not a transaction for a service, the fee is your contribution to the community.

How would you feel if you pushed for a refund, got it, and the club went on to fold?

You’re a member of a football club. The fee is not a transaction for a service, the fee is your contribution to the community.

How would you feel if you pushed for a refund, got it, and the club went on to fold?
Ed pwned him.

Any member who demands a refund will be legally entitled to one.
If a significant proportion of club members do this, the club will collapse.

Tony is such a dickhead. Of course he was looking for a headline

It is a simple question though.

Surely, it's not that hard for him to simply say, 'we have a number of options for members going through financial hardship up to/including a full refund for those in desperate need', followed by a quick mention of how much continued financial support is appreciated and that the club and it's supporters will remain side-by-side and help each other out where they can.

Instead, Eddie has begun to paint those who need that money as second-tier supporters and comes across looking like a tyrant trying to run over a dissenter.

Surely, it's not that hard for him to simply say, 'we have a number of options for members going through financial hardship up to/including a full refund for those in desperate need', followed by a quick mention of how much continued financial support is appreciated and that the club and it's supporters will remain side-by-side and help each other out where they can.

Instead, Eddie has begun to paint those who need that money as second-tier supporters and comes across looking like a tyrant trying to run over a dissenter.
Nah, * that. Don’t let your hate for Eddie shine over the pathetic nature of that short interview by Tony. To throw out a belittling one liner whilst ending the interview. Pfft. I’d love to see in Eddies shoes as the president of a large sporting organization in a time like this. Peasant.

Eddie answered the question. Tony then asked again in a way that was intended to paint the club as one that will not issue refunds. Which is quite clearly not what Eddie said.

I don’t think you understand what he is saying if you think he is painting some supporters as less then others. Im not sure about anyone else but i thought it was pretty clear that Eddie was saying we need your guys membership income stream to exist, however, if you are unable to pay this amount, contact us and we can figure it out. Now when I put two and two together, and i’m not a moron, i would assume that phone call would include the club potentially negotiating a price that the member is actually capable of paying, rather then nothing.

if that cannot be achieved, I am sure they will refund It. Im not sure the club would win a lawsuit that could come for a rejected refund for something they haven’t provided.

Tony is such a dickhead. Of course he was looking for a headline

So let me get this straight, we're about to hit unemployment rates never seen before in this country, with millions suddenly out of a job. We have 18 clubs comprising a billion dollar business that is now on hiatus for a couple of months, and yet people here feel it's bad form for a journalist to ask one of the leaders in this billion-dollar industry if those who have lost their livelihoods are able to get a refund for a purchased product that the supplier (league/clubs) is unable to deliver on?

Any other business in Australia that had its leader react in the way Eddie did would be witnessing riots outside its front doors... or whatever the equivalent is given the current predicament.

Just goes to show the cult-like status the clubs have with supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, fu** that. Don’t let your hate for Eddie shine over the pathetic nature of that short interview by Tony. To throw out a belittling one liner whilst ending the interview. Pfft. I’d love to see in Eddies shoes as the president of a large sporting organization in a time like this. Peasant.

Eddie answered the question. Tony then asked again in a way that was intended to paint the club as one that will not issue refunds. Which is quite clearly not what Eddie said.

I don't hate Eddie, I actually really respect the man. I just hate his response to this.

He absolutely deserved that quip from Jones, how he can cry poor when the whole reason the question of refunds are coming up is because millions have lost their livelihoods is ridiculous.

It's an issue with nuance and that's how Eddie's treating it. He's not going to flat out say yes or no because he doesn't want his stance reduced to that. I don't like the way some clubs, Essendon included, are going about this membership issue. I think Collingwood and most other clubs would issue refunds or partial refunds for those who are in need of the money but clubs also don't want "bank runs" done.

Both made themselves look like complete fools. Tony asked a legitimate question and Ed gave him a legitimate answer. Tony pushed him because he’s a clown looking for a headline and Eddie lost his cool for whatever reason I don’t know. Embarrassing show put on by both of them.

With respect, he pushed him because his simple yes or no question wasn't answered. That's his job, is to push those being interviewed into answering the question asked.

Nah, fu** that. Don’t let your hate for Eddie shine over the pathetic nature of that short interview by Tony. To throw out a belittling one liner whilst ending the interview. Pfft. I’d love to see in Eddies shoes as the president of a large sporting organization in a time like this. Peasant.

I don’t think you understand what he is saying if you think he is painting some supporters as less then others. Im not sure about anyone else but i thought it was pretty clear that Eddie was saying we need your guys membership income stream to exist, however, if you are unable to pay this amount, contact us and we can figure it out. Now when I put two and two together, and i’m not a moron, i would assume that phone call would include the club potentially negotiating a price that the member is actually capable of paying, rather then nothing.

if that cannot be achieved, I am sure they will refund It. Im not sure the club would win a lawsuit that could come for a rejected refund for something they haven’t provided.

Did Eddie say refunds would be provided? There was a lot of finger pointing and talk of helping people in financial hardship but don't think he ever said refunds would be issued. Might hit up Eddie for a loan.

Not everyone are football nuffies like us though, plenty go just for the outing and meeting up with mates. It is 100% a transaction for a service and the service is entry into x amount of home games. I wouldn't expect a refund until the season is officially called but everyone who wants one shouldn't have too many issues receiving one.

With respect, he pushed him because his simple yes or no question wasn't answered. That's his job, is to push those being interviewed into answering the question asked.
Eddie gave him an answer. If a member in question is in trouble, the club will be there to help.

It's an issue with nuance and that's how Eddie's treating it. He's not going to flat out say yes or no because he doesn't want his stance reduced to that. I don't like the way some clubs, Essendon included, are going about this membership issue. I think Collingwood and most other clubs would issue refunds or partial refunds for those who are in need of the money but clubs also don't want "bank runs" on the clubs.

Completely understand that and I too, don't like Essendon's response to it (I'm in favour of an 'opt out' option for those on monthly repayments until the season has a more definitive outlook and a pro-rata refund for those who paid up front).

However, Eddie missed an opportunity here to provide comfort for those who might need that refund, while being able to address some of the alternative options available to those seeking financial hardship.

Eddie gave him an answer. If a member in question is in trouble, the club will be there to help.

Eddie did not directly answer the question, which was 'are supporters able to get a refund if they require it'.

Fluffing on about speak to the club about various financial hardship options and crying poor about the club is not a direct answer to that very simple question.

"26 Mar 2020, 18:03 (2 days ago)

Dear Bomberboyokay,

Regrettably, this has been one of the most difficult weeks in my time at the club.

Following the suspension of the 2020 season, all of our players are now on leave as we move to navigate through this incredibly difficult period.

The sheer nature of this global crisis has meant that due to circumstances beyond our control, our club, and the broader competition, is in an unprecedented situation.

In response to this significant challenge, we have moved to drastically cut operating costs to help the club get through this period.

As a result, the club made the heartbreaking decision this week to stand down more than 75 per cent of our staff, across every operational area of the club, until further notice.

A minimum number of staff will now work on severely reduced hours to ensure the club remains operational during the suspension period, which is due to run until at least May 31.

These extremely tough decisions were not taken lightly but were made to protect the club in the short term and the employment of our people for the long term.

As you are aware, this situation continues to change at a rapid pace, and it is an incredibly complex matter – not just for our club and industry, but the community more broadly.

There are so many challenges. For you, our members, in your own lives. And for us, the club, as we work our way through this dire position.

The club generates most of its operating revenue from our commercial partners, members, corporate partners, and fans attending games.

By addressing our expenditure immediately, we hope to minimise the future impact of this crisis and be able to quickly bounce back as a club when games recommence.

For our members, we understand there are still many questions we have not been able to answer, but until we have certainty on the season, we ask for your patience and understanding. The scheduled member payment plans will continue for the time being, when we have full visibility of the season and fixture, we will be able to provide more information on what we can offer members.

As a club, we fully respect everyone’s personal circumstances are different, and we will continue to work through scenarios and frameworks for dealing with the impact of this issue on our members.

We are hurting, but we know these hardships are widespread. It’s much bigger than us.

So please know the Essendon family is hurting together and we will get through this together.

These are unchartered waters and there is much uncertainty across our community.

I am proud of all our people, our staff, for the way they are navigating this complex and challenging issue for the club. And, although there are still many significant challenges ahead, I know these people will continue to go above and beyond to ensure our future.
I know you all love this football club. l love it as well, I always have. We will get through this. The game of Australian Football is unique. Football clubs are unique. We are our own version of a family. And we will get through this together.

It has never been more important to look after one another than now. Please continue to follow all advice from the relevant medical and health authorities as well as the advice from the Australian Government.

Take care of your loved ones and look after yourselves as we continue to stop the spread of this virus.

Once again, on behalf of everyone at the Essendon Football Club, we thank our loyal members and supporters for their unwavering support during these uncertain times.

Regards,

Xavier Campbell
Chief Executive Officer"

Continuing to take money with no plans to return it.
For a hard left greenie you are very selfish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back