Coronavirus sends gym equipment retailers into a frenzy

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Not sure if this should be posted in the home workout freds, but...

With the coronavirus locking down gyms, there seems to have been a boom in gym equipment sales

I've been looking around for flexible equipment to use at home as boy I'm gunna get really fat soon, cbf continuing on with the repetitive push ups, squats, powerband routine when I don't walk around my suburb and I need to change it up a bit, but it seems alot of stock has been sold and I don't know if I'll be able to find anything feasible for now

Due to my smallish house, I'm looking around for an adjustable flat/incline bench plus a couple different dumbbell sizes, 10 + 20 + 30kg would be ideal or say 1 light-medium pair 10-15-20kg and 1 heavy pair 25-30kg, but a screw on adjustable pair could work too (had one back in the day at mums, but was only 10kg though)

My lounge room is large enough to exercise in if the weather sucks, otherwise I've got a nice concreted area in front of the garage and a brick stand next to the back door, so I can do incline push ups there too, only problem is it's not covered so I couldn't really leave my equipment there and risk the elements. A bench press could work, but I feel it's not flexible enough for home and would rot in the already overcrowded garage and imo it'd be more expensive too (finding good barbells/plates etc in particular would be costly), so I feel the dumbell/bench option is probably best to start with.

But yeah, it seems I'm gunna struggle in getting the equipment that I want due to this boom :( seen some websites say deliveries won't be available til May-June-July on some things that have already sold out.

Last edited:
Gumtree is full of people selling the gym equipment they don't use. Some of them cashing in on demand, others just realise others are desperate for equipment. Try there.

Gumtree is full of people selling the gym equipment they don't use. Some of them cashing in on demand, others just realise others are desperate for equipment. Try there.
Nothing really there that I'm after, mainly miscellaneous stuff. Was a good 30-40 asking for gym equipment there too

Was only 1 interesting post regarding hex dumbbells but it's a couple of months old and they wanted to sell a 10-30kg 9 dumbbell set bundle in full which i feel is excessive for me

Dunno, maybe I'll see if they want to bargain

Very interested in these powertrain and Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells though, though they're very expensive, it seems they rank high on the convenience factor though

Not sure if this should be posted in the home workout freds, but...

With the coronavirus locking down gyms, there seems to have been a boom in gym equipment sales

When I heard about the rumours first of gyms closing, I immediately purchased a dumbbell/barbell set with weights. I even posted it on this forum as it was dead set cheap price. No one commented nor thought about getting it. Irony being there was plenty of available too at the time of the post.

Fast forward 10-12 days later and its all gone. I went looking around for a few extra bits and pieces. All gone too. Actual home gyms were sold out too including the ones on display.

When I saw a single 20kg weight plate selling for $150, I lost the plot.

In fairness to those that didnt get the set that now want them, I thought about not getting it. My initial thoughts was maybe a months break would be good.
Then I thought if gyms close for 3+ months or worse 6+ months, Im literally going to lose all strength and gains. The decision was simple in the end. My weights set is enough for me to at least maintain some strength over a 6 month period. I may not have any gains but I can minimize the losses significantly.

What I would do if I was you, is look at resistance bands, they should hold you up for a solid 3 months. Body weight exercises similarly too. There is plenty of youtube videos out there of how to do workouts at home without any weights.

All is not lost, just be motivated that will be enough to make you want to try and workout.

I shouldnt be saying this lol because Im sure some people will run out and do it. But these are desperate times.

Anyways, you know the traffic cones that keep those plastic pieces down to the road and not fly off, well they use 10kg and 20kg plates.

A smart arse person, may think these plates could come in handy in their backyard home gym.

Just saying........

Last edited:
I bought 2x20kg dumbbells. Lots of different movements you can do with them:

Goblet squats
Lunges
Step ups
Devil presses
Dumbbell snatches
Hang cleans
Push presses and jerks
Man makers
Dumbbell rows
Floor presses

Nothing really there that I'm after, mainly miscellaneous stuff. Was a good 30-40 asking for gym equipment there too

Was only 1 interesting post regarding hex dumbbells but it's a couple of months old and they wanted to sell a 10-30kg 9 dumbbell set bundle in full which i feel is excessive for me

Dunno, maybe I'll see if they want to bargain

Very interested in these powertrain and Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells though, though they're very expensive, it seems they rank high on the convenience factor though
Was able to order dumbbells from that gumtree provider actually, they're actually a small business running out of Clayton

Seems they've gone under the radar a bit, but was able to get 2x25s and 2x30s for a bit over $300, shipping bumping the price up though as I'm out west to around 380 total, wanted 10s too but they sold out by the time my order had hone through (site was getting hammered as they topped up today and took no preorders)

An investment however

Now to get a decent bench over the next 2 months so I can have a proper chest workout outside of pushups and hopefully a cheap gym mat somewhere

Tidy up the house, make some room, happy days home workouts

Goblet squats
Lunges
Step ups
Devil presses
Dumbbell snatches
Hang cleans
Push presses and jerks
Man makers
Dumbbell rows
Floor presses
Yeah alot of compound there

Good for legs shoulders and horizontal back

When I heard about the rumours first of gyms closing, I immediately purchased a dumbbell/barbell set with weights. I even posted it on this forum as it was dead set cheap price. No one commented nor thought about getting it. Irony being there was plenty of available too at the time of the post.

Fast forward 10-12 days later and its all gone. I went looking around for a few extra bits and pieces. All gone too. Actual home gyms were sold out too including the ones on display.

When I saw a single 20kg weight plate selling for $150, I lost the plot.

In fairness to those that didnt get the set that now want them, I thought about not getting it. My initial thoughts was maybe a months break would be good.
Then I thought if gyms close for 3+ months or worse 6+ months, Im literally going to lose all strength and gains. The decision was simple in the end. My weights set is enough for me to at least maintain some strength over a 6 month period. I may not have any gains but I can minimize the losses significantly.

What I would do if I was you, is look at resistance bands, they should hold you up for a solid 3 months. Body weight exercises similarly too. There is plenty of youtube videos out there of how to do workouts at home without any weights.

All is not lost, just be motivated that will be enough to make you want to try and workout.
I've got 2 resistance bands

A decent one i bought from rebel 2 weeks ago with handles that has about 15kg resistance and a basic rubber band my physio gave me that i was using for core at gym, but don't have racks i can use anymore and no poles/trees at my joint i can utilise for it as a substitute :(

Mainly walking for exercise with 2-3 push up/squat workouts a fortnight atm

Need the dumbbells to give me more variation, until i get the bench i can at least do more tricep, leg and back exercises for now (not gunna risk shoulders)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goblet squats
Lunges
Step ups
Devil presses
Dumbbell snatches
Hang cleans
Push presses and jerks
Man makers
Dumbbell rows
Floor presses

I must say the one positive of basically only using dumbbells is that it really helps any imbalances a person may have.

Ive already noticed a difference.

I must say the one positive of basically only using dumbbells is that it really helps any imbalances a person may have.

Ive already noticed a difference.
I love weighted squats with dumbbells or plates, plates in particular

Yep balance is a factor, but I feel the lower centre of gravity the plates are the better, kinda like doing half a squat half a deadlift, activates hammies and glutes more

Might do some goblet squats when i do get my dumbbells delivered though

This is my home set up, put together over a few years. Looking like a good investment now.

Next on the list is a hex dumbbell set. I worked out I can get a get a complete 1kg-50kg set plus stands for about $4800 if I buy them individually a bit at a time.

20200405_141214.jpg

Should be able to pick up a lot of stuff sitting on suburban curbs in about 12 months time.
True

But I don't have that kind of time :(
This is my home set up, put together over a few years. Looking like a good investment now.

Next on the list is a hex dumbbell set. I worked out I can get a get a complete 1kg-50kg set plus stands for about $4800 if I buy them individually a bit at a time.

View attachment 852814
Nice, love the cage/barbell set up

Just curious on a full hex set

Have you looked into adjustable dumbbells instead? Would be alot cheaper and give you more space

The Ironmaster looks decent for example and would cost alot less, lifetime warranty also apparently, comes with a storage compartment too, I think if you got a complete set with plate top ups it'd cost around $1500 or so
Freo towel looks in even worse shape than the team recently.
Oldish logo with the red and green

15 years old at least?

Nice, love the cage/barbell set up

Just curious on a full hex set

Have you looked into adjustable dumbbells instead? Would be alot cheaper and give you more space

The Ironmaster looks decent for example and would cost alot less, lifetime warranty also apparently, comes with a storage compartment too, I think if you got a complete set with plate top ups it'd cost around $1500 or so

Yeah I have checked out those Ironmasters and they're a decent option I'd consider for sure.

My current house is a rental but I'm looking to buy in the next year or so and high on my wishlist is a garage or patio I can convert into a full gym, complete with rubber flooring etc. The hex dumbbell dream is more for then. In a perfect world I'd love a set like that so I could do dropsets etc.

Atm I have those standard size adjustable dumbbells with the plates on that second rack in the pic. They'll do me for now until I see what kind of space I'm dealing with once I move.

View attachment 852814

You could quietly outsource your gym, I reckon some would pay a decent price to use it weekly.

Thats sweet.

You could quietly outsource your gym, I reckon some would pay a decent price to use it weekly.

Thats sweet.

wokldnt be worth it with the possibility of getting $1600 fine

wokldnt be worth it with the possibility of getting $1600 fine

I guess it depends on how and when restrictions are relaxed.

Small social gatherings may be allowed eventually, but gyms may be still closed. That is when an opportunity arises for you.

Food for thought.

I guess it depends on how and when restrictions are relaxed.

Small social gatherings may be allowed eventually, but gyms may be still closed. That is when an opportunity arises for you.

Food for thought.

I wouldn’t ever be that desperate id pay some random to use his home gym

Remove this Banner Ad

Back