Universal Love HEY! How you doin? Covid-19 Mental Health Check

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Port Board peeps or anyone else out there,

This thread is for you.

To talk about the challenges we are all facing and to maybe offer some tips for people that are struggling. There is no judging and no having a crack at how other people are coping. We are all doing our best and we'll have up days and down days we all will. So come in here vent and let loose in a judgement free environment. There are threads about Ken (#sackhinkley) threads about the virus itself, it's growth etc and peoples thoughts on that, there are threads about everything and everything but this thread is a safe space to support each other! I've got mates as we all have that are struggling and people that are strangely lapping it up.

We are all in this together even if you hate celebrities like I do.

Peace

actually going great, ever since coronavirus surfaced my life has become progressively more enjoyable...this is not sarcasm! its weird to be on the up when everyone else is suffering.

i've had few bad spots in recent years so its recent experience, but if you're on the downswing now just know you can get through it, even if it doesn't feel like it atm. You're resilient as hell.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I'm fortunately very insulated from the social and financial effects of this crisis because I work in an industry where I'll continue to be required to work and get paid no matter how bad it gets.

Continuing to work really provides you with a social outlet you otherwise can't get now. I hope society really starts to embrace apps like Houseparty and Zoom to stay in touch.

Look after yourselves

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thanks Dingle, great thread idea.

Personally, I am spending more time here at BF. Enjoying the diverse range of views and affiliations on this board and looking forward getting back to the one thing that joins us all.

I think I've posted elsewhere that we basically had "lockdown" for a couple of months with all the smoke, and then had a fire emergency of our own, so weirdly in some ways, this isn't as restrictive. Am enjoying the mild weather and we've finally had some rain. Am not enjoying the supermarket experience, especially knowing that it was completely unnecessary. I've tried to spread out the visits and go when it's less busy but that's getting harder. Buying more staples from amazon, but that's just getting ridiculous (especially as someone's already pointed out we don't have a stapler...).

I find getting out for a brisk walk each morning does a power of good. I've also stopped watching the news, everything I know about this thing comes from our thread - I have no idea whether this is good or bad ;). Politicians now just make me angry, and this isn't a good thing. We don't need any more anger.

Look for the little things in life that make it worthwhile, and set yourself short term goals to go with the longer term goal of getting outside again. You'll find there's many things in your day worth celebrating. Share them here or wherever else you social.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Swings and roundabouts for me. My employment is safe so I don't have that stress and I'm an introvert so I'll cope fine with the extra time stuck at home. Before things started getting serious I was borderline excited at the possibility of working from home/never going out.

I'm worried about the kids not being able to see friends for months. They're already starting to fray a little from that. Also Mrs H is a nurse and has just been told she has to train up to work in intensive care asap. So that's a bit scary for us.

Good fred Dingle

I'm fortunately very insulated from the social and financial effects of this crisis because I work in an industry where I'll continue to be required to work and get paid no matter how bad it gets.

+2

The worse it gets the more secure my job gets, and also harder but I’m not going to complain about that.

We’re going a little stir crazy locked up together in our tiny unit, especially the little one now that we’ve made the choice to pull him out of daycare. The bummer isn’t that it’s that difficult to work with him around, just that daycare is a considerably more enriching environment than our house with two parents working. But we’re going to play it safe.

Great thread.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
actually going great, ever since coronavirus surfaced my life has become progressively more enjoyable...this is not sarcasm! its weird to be on the up when everyone else is suffering.

i've had few bad spots in recent years so its recent experience, but if you're on the downswing now just know you can get through it, even if it doesn't feel like it atm. You're resilient as hell.

I'm the same and two other people I have mentioned this to have also given me the same answer.

I'm starting to come down the other side now though and wanting to get out there more, but certainly my first week and a bit in quarantine was great, got in to a lot of stuff I've wanted to do for ages, less distractions, and things more peaceful around me.

Hey Port Board peeps or anyone else out there,

This thread is for you.

To talk about the challenges we are all facing and to maybe offer some tips for people that are struggling. There is no judging and no having a crack at how other people are coping. We are all doing our best and we'll have up days and down days we all will. So come in here vent and let loose in a judgement free environment. There are threads about Ken (#sackhinkley) threads about the virus itself, it's growth etc and peoples thoughts on that, there are threads about everything and everything but this thread is a safe space to support each other! I've got mates as we all have that are struggling and people that are strangely lapping it up.

We are all in this together even if you hate celebrities like I do.

Peace
Honestly, a few PTSD issues, but not too bad.

The guys I work with on suicide watch are struggling badly, so many are unable to get the reach out support we’ve normally been able to provide.

The guys going out (who have their own issues) are in turn struggling with the increased risk and subsequent isolation.

These are the silent deaths and risks that won’t be counted in the current Covid stats.
It’s a real worry, but we are all pulling together to keep an eye on each other.

In short, a lot of veterans with issues are having their issues made worse atm. The feeling of dread that the situations faced overseas that caused the issues are coming to our shores is hard to shake.

The focus now is on avoiding the coupling triggers.

You are one of the first people I thought of today. You’re life since 40k is a constant reminder that as I coast through life there are people that have real s**t to deal with.

I’m really glad you are doing well.

Honestly, a few PTSD issues, but not too bad.

The guys I work with on suicide watch are struggling badly, so many are unable to get the reach out support we’ve normally been able to provide.

The guys going out (who have their own issues) are in turn struggling with the increased risk and subsequent isolation.

These are the silent deaths and risks that won’t be counted in the current Covid stats.
It’s a real worry, but we are all pulling together to keep an eye on each other.

In short, a lot of veterans with issues are having their issues made worse atm. The feeling of dread that the situations faced overseas that caused the issues are coming to our shores is hard to shake.

Big hugs probably won’t help man but you’re getting one when we catch up.

You are one of the first people I thought of today. You’re life since 40k is a constant reminder that as I coast through life there are people that have real s**t to deal with.

I’m really glad you are doing well.

thanks! but most people have s**t going kn. dont under estimate your own life, must be tough to go around with a beach ball where your legs used to be ;)

171-1712087_noddy-mr-wobbly-man.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still at work, we are rotating teams one week on, one off. Week off can be a bit of a drag because of lack of personal social contact. But hey, could be way worse.

Doing all the precautionary stuff and feel like I'm coping alright.

Good discussion on BigFooty helps. ;)

Thanks for the thread Big Ed (lol I typed that as Bug Rd first, maybe I should have left that :p)

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Not worried about myself. I work in a field that's considered an essential service and travel to 4-5 different sites a day. Exposure for me is very high but I'm healthy so it's not a concern.

What is a worry is all these places I go to laying off staff for an undetermined amount of time - hotels mostly. So much uncertainty out there at the moment. Hoping we get through this quickly and relatively unscathed.

I'm still at work, we are rotating teams one week on, one off. Week off can be a bit of a drag because of lack of personal social contact. But hey, could be way worse.

Doing all the precautionary stuff and feel like I'm coping alright.

Good discussion on BigFooty helps. ;)

Thanks for the thread Big Ed (lol I typed that as Bug Rd first, maybe I should have left that :p)
BigFooty is a great distraction!

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know we have teachers in our midst here, they've been kinda forgotten in all this, even though they've been very much on the frontline. If it helps any, I know my grandchildren miss theirs. Many are now being asked to skill up very rapidly on hastily thrown together online platforms, and those in my circle (and I am sure elsewhere) are determined that their students won't miss out. Chapeau, what you're doing matters.

thanks! but most people have s**t going kn. dont under estimate your own life, must be tough to go around with a beach ball where your legs used to be ;)

View attachment 851862

Yeah everyone really does.

I’m fortunate to be with an incredibly patient and understanding person that knows I need me time.

I also played football for 30 odd years and while I thoroughly enjoy female company I love the mateship and bloke time that footy brought me. I live with Ms D and two little Miss D’s and at the moment my mother in law who is stuck here and a female cat.

I miss mate time.

Trying to sneak Dylan8 over for beers which should help.

(Dylan is not actually 12 for the purpose of this post)

Port is the best board

I hope supporters of other clubs (our raven friends too) see the thread and join the discussion.

It’s clearly not about footy it’s about us.

All of us.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Shifted to working from home, as usually catch PT. Just into the office the one day (lift in / out avoiding PT).
Kids are out of school, with the wife home schooling them. In order to give them the attention she's had to put her Uni. studies on hold. Boys having ASD and ADHD the closer attention is doing them well with their schooling.

I'm an introvert so outside of going to the Football and the occasional catch up with friends it's not likely to have an adverse affect on me. The wife and I have been prepping for this for years, just a few games ready to ensure no boredom likely to occur. :p

IMG_5672.JPG
IMG_5673.JPG
IMG_5674.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So it's n
Shifted to working from home, as usually catch PT. Just into the office the one day (lift in / out avoiding PT).
Kids are out of school, with the wife home schooling them. In order to give them the attention she's had to put her Uni. studies on hold. Boys having ASD and ADHD the closer attention is doing them well with their schooling.

I'm an introvert so outside of going to the Football and the occasional catch up with friends it's not likely to have an adverse affect on me. The wife and I have been prepping for this for years, just a few games ready to ensure no boredom likel to occur. :p

View attachment 851878
View attachment 851879
View attachment 851880
So it's not you panic buying all the jigsaw puzzles then? :p

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Through my job I do some emergency planning for my organisation and sometimes coordination/liason work with emergency services management local government and other agencies etc. Spent some time at CudleeCreek and KI (well away from the fire).

Long days running on adrenalin but part of groups that had been through that type of thing many times (unfortunately) and without minimising it up to a point knew what to expect, what to do next.

This thing scared me a bit as you do your plans try to get ready but nobody expects this and a lot of it is based on scenarios and modelling and it throws up things you didnt think of and you think why didn't I think of that (such as sending most people home and still making sure you have first aid and fire wardens in the office for those that are left - doh!)

I really, really struggled a couple of weeks or so ago. So much at once. So much new. So much gloom. Massive anxiety hit me and although I could work I literally got to the stage where my muscles tightened and I actually struggled to make my legs walk.

I share that not to say poor me as a lot of people with bigger challenges and more struggles than me but to say that breathing deeply, sharing the load and talking about things really helped me.

This place was about the only bit of outside news and media I could deal with at the end of each day.

Anyway I wanted to say thank you. Thank you to so many of you.

Thank you to Capital Power for sharing his day, Thank you to those with medical training who shared but not alarmed. Thank you to those who interpreted data. Thank you to those that were overseas and shared their journey, Thank you to those that shared their humour, Thank you to Ford for looking for the positive.

I don't know any of you in person but I do know that being here has helped me.

Please all keep posting I know I need it and stay safe all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back