List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
Usually, this would (hopefully) be way too early to start up unless you support Carlton or Melbourne.

However with things as they are, I need something footy related to speculate on outside of "will be play again this year".

So, lets talk the potential of the 2020 Draft (if it goes ahead).

2020 will have a large amount of players Academy or F/S tied. Players of interest in this draft who are tied are Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, a KPF dogs tied, and Edwards Adelaide F/S who may not choose Adelaide.

For swans we have Campbell, high HFF/wingman and Gulden small HFF/Mid looking to be taken 1st or 2nd round at this stage.

If draft picks based on last year we will likely have pick 5. Players to look at around that mark are:

Thilthorpe - 200cm KPF
Hollands - industrious mid with class
Macrae - plays like his brother

Players that will miss out are the smokies and bolters that we have each year.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
If theres some sort of normality to the draft and list sizes this year.. Im hoping to
- get a pick in before Gulden and Cambell
- trade in a 3rd / 4th / 5th year gun
- maybe get 'fit' Daniher as a free agent
We've got heaps of young crew that could potentially develop well, we may not need to draft another 4 + rookies..

My wishlist

1. Get a pick before the likely Campbell bid

- That may mean trading out our 2021 first or whatever, it may not come to that, as we'll have a top 4-6 pick in likelihood.

2. Take Campbell (anywhere from 8 onwards you would assume)

3. Gulden- nowhere earlier than the 2nd round

- If a bid happens earlier, we should pass, don't overpay.

4. Target a ruck with our late picks

5. DO NOT TRADE IN LIST FILLERS (i.e. no Clarke types)

Trading

- Daniher as a FA maybe, but there has to be a price.

My wishlist

1. Get a pick before the likely Campbell bid

- That may mean trading out our 2021 first or whatever, it may not come to that, as we'll have a top 4-6 pick in likelihood.

2. Take Campbell (anywhere from 8 onwards you would assume)

3. Gulden- nowhere earlier than the 2nd round

- If a bid happens earlier, we should pass, don't overpay.

4. Target a ruck with our late picks

5. DO NOT TRADE IN LIST FILLERS (i.e. no Clarke types)

Trading

- Daniher as a FA maybe, but there has to be a price.
I'm probably being pessimistic about our hopes but I suspect we'll have a pick pre-Campbell. Academy players never go as early as you think (other than Callum Mills) so I think Campbell might avoid a Top 10 bid. Maybe.

If what I'm hearing is true re: list sizes then the age of list fillers is over. That means goodbye Ryan Clarke/Jackson Thurlow/Robbie Fox/etc.

I'm probably being pessimistic about our hopes but I suspect we'll have a pick pre-Campbell. Academy players never go as early as you think (other than Callum Mills) so I think Campbell might avoid a Top 10 bid. Maybe.

If what I'm hearing is true re: list sizes then the age of list fillers is over. That means goodbye Ryan Clarke/Jackson Thurlow/Robbie Fox/etc.

Yep I tend to agree, I mean look at last year where Green didn't go till pick 10. Campbell isn't Green hype.

Campbell is a top 5 talent for me so anything less than using a pick 5 on him would be a great success.

We have pick 4, was only pick 5 last year because of the GC pre draft PP (Pick1) and they don't have that this year.

I'd reckon we'll get a pick before Campbell but there'll be some Ugle-Hagan shenanigans at the top to complicate things.

Will there be a draft this year? or will the AFL take this heaven sent opportunity to do the sensible thing and push out the draft age to 19? What becomes of all the 2020 picks that clubs traded for last year? Too much unknown to think clearly at this stage, COVID looks to be getting out of hand across the globe :-(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Campbell amd gulden reminds me of the perris hype

Perris was supposed to be really talented. He just could not get over his injuries.

He is also the only coach at the Swans who played for the Swans who was not a star, which to me actually tells me he is a very good coach. I mean why keep a guy who never played a game for us as a coach unless he is very good at his job.

Last edited:
McGlynn was that height (173) so is Daniel from the dogs, so not unheard of.
Wow, that's a huge growth spurt for Daniel!

(he's actually 166 - which is the same height as my mother and two sisters - and they aren't tall!)

It worries me too to be honest as not many players make it at that height.
Thats because not many players get picked at that height!!

It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that there is no draft this year. Word is it is highly unlikely any form of NAB League will be played in 2020. List sizes reduced going forward is going to leave a number of players without clubs so the need to top up lists with draftees may not exist. I think there is every chance the 2020 draft will be canceled. There are a number of problems for this year's draft and next years' if things are not changed. Drafting players with no real exposed form as 18 yo is risky, and the 17 yo bottom agers will have no real form guide for 2021. Good luck using their 16 yo form as a guide for their u/18 year. It is looking likely the draft age may rise to 19. There are supporters for it in clubland, and two with AFL ties being Brad Scott and Paul Roos. The time to do it is now given all the variables as this results in the draft maintaining some semblance of integrity whilst not disadvantaging any players. This is one of the areas that are really intriguing as to how it may play out.

Back