Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to elect Trump to have USA more self-sufficient.
This virus has ensured that any President or Party elected will follow that path.

If you've been watching Trump's performance at the daily Coronathons, you'll understand that his re-election is probably not gonna be as easy as some might think.

It will be difficult when there is no viable alternative, and that unviable alternative does not have the air-time in the current environment to gather the masses at the same time, the sitting president has the masses and the air-time.

Its been shown time and again that during times of crisis, people tend to flock to what they know.

Indeed. Basically politicians are using cartoons to convince the masses that these draconian rules are somehow going to 'save the hospital system'.

And the masses, who in general possess little if any knowledge of statistics, see these cartoons and are soon convinced.

I'm a statistician and I think that (a) the communication explaining exponential growth, "flattening the curve" and hospital system capacity has been pretty good all things considered although I'd like to see the modelling released; and it logically follows that (b) the draconian rules are essential.

Mind you any person, even a child should understand (b). All the evidence you need is what's happened in Spain, Italy and the USA.

The learner should of got a warning, but really if you need to teach your kids to drive do it near your home so if the cops pull you over just say you are driving to the shops.

Will I get a fine if I need to drive somewhere to attend a job interview?

I think there is probably more to that story.
Like what? Learner in the car with her Mum, what else could there possibly be to the story where anything more than a warning is warranted?

Fine the people clearly abusing the laws in place for self isolation and social distancing, but don’t fine people who are trying to follow the laws and are simply confused about what they can and can’t do. They deserve a warning.

Last edited:
I'm a statistician
So what?

and I think that (a) the communication explaining exponential growth, "flattening the curve" and hospital system capacity has been pretty good all things considered

I agree. They give the masses colorful cartoons and the masses go along with it. Brilliant work.

(b) the draconian rules are essential.

I disagree. And until they make it illegal for me to do so, I'm going to continue to publicly disagree.

Does that hurt your feelings? We'll find out when you respond. If you call me names then we'll know the answer :)

So what?

I agree. They give the masses colorful cartoons and the masses go along with it. Brilliant work.

I disagree. And until they make it illegal for me to do so, I'm going to continue to publicly disagree.

Does that hurt your feelings? We'll find out when you respond. If you call me names then we'll know the answer :)
If every body was like you there would be real draconian measures needed

Like what? Learner in the car with her Mum, what else could there possibly be to the story where anything more than a warning is warranted?
Perhaps I am showing my prejudices, but if someone's first instinct is to run to the media to complain about something like this then there's a good chance they didn't handle the initial interaction with the cop in the most constructive manner.

mouncey2franklin aren't you a little old to be playing an edgy contrarian? You're coming off a bit like Silent Alarm if he'd been stalking Procrastinator35. Banging on about "the masses" is a bit cringeworthy.

I'm sure you have it in you to bring an alternative viewpoint to the discussion, but conspiracy theory 'they're controlling us, maaaan' isn't really going to encourage intelligent debate.

Perhaps I am showing my prejudices, but if someone's first instinct is to run to the media to complain about something like this then there's a good chance they didn't handle the initial interaction with the cop in the most constructive manner.
Fair call, I just think regardless of the interaction a warning is the only justifiable course of action in that scenario.

I’m with you, the moment I read the story I assumed the mum heavily abused the cop and refused to head home on warning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t need to
Emergency powers and no actual election

I cam across this article the other day on this question of delaying the election...

Constitutionally it looks like he cant, and we know where they place their constitutional rights over there...

You know one piece of information I'd love to see

We currently get the following graph View attachment 853161

What I would love is to see where our current curve actually is.

Are we failing?
Are we on track?
Are we beating it?

That's not actually a real graph - it is just a simplified visual aid to conceptual understanding. It's not something that can be produced with real data.

Caesar is correct, and IMO the graph is not even remotely close to an accurate representation of predictive models based on what we currently know about transmission rates and critical %, however we are still very much in the early stages.

mouncey2franklin aren't you a little old to be playing an edgy contrarian?

Aren't you a little old to be enjoy being told by daddy government when you can go outside?

I'm sure you have it in you to bring an alternative viewpoint to the discussion, but conspiracy theory 'they're controlling us, maaaan' isn't really going to encourage intelligent debate.
I haven't presented a conspiracy theory, though. Things aren't as black and white as 'anybody who does not believe TV must be a conspiwacy feerist'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back