Multiplat Persona 5 - Including Royal and Striker

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts throughout your playthrough on the differences between Royal and the original Persona 5. From what I've read they don't seem to be massive changes but would like to know how it plays compared to the original. I'm tempted to go and get it because I loved the original but not sure if I can justify paying full price if there are just small differences.

According to some of the reviews quite a fair few small things have changed. I'm pretty sure I noticed something different in the intro sequence. Of course these games take a while to get into, after a couple hours I'm still in the early setup parts. The biggest change I read was apparently to combat. There are supposedly some balancing changes and guns have changed. I'll find all that out later. I'm bummed at why it couldn't be DLC or something to the original but I guess if they've changed a lot then it makes sense. There is also an extra semester on the end too.

Just about to hit the 10 hour mark and almost through Kamoshida's palace (just about at the treasure and to send calling card).

The new character has appeared a couple times in the story but hasn't impacted anything yet. First major inclusion are the will seeds in the palaces and disaster shadows. I don't quite get the will seeds? I found the three in the first palace but not sure their purpose other than a reason to explore hidden areas and to get an item at the end. Disaster shadows though are awesome. I'm sure they'll make some fights pretty interesting later in the game. Early on I'm just baton passing and smashing them with a weakness to blow them up.

Big Persona fan here.
Played P3 and P4 on PS2 and then P4 Golden again on Vita.

Finally getting to play this and starting with the royal version.
Got just a few days ago and already 12+ hours in.

I still can't split this one and P4G. If I were somehow able to make an all time top 10 I'm not sure which one I could squeeze in.

i feel lucky that such a tremendous jrpg was given this treatment, Atlus are sick. THEY ADDED PERSONA 4 MUSIC TO MOMENTOS SORRY IF THIS SPOILS U BUT IT'S A GOOD SPOIL

imagine how many random people are choosing FF7R over this right now or not even considering this LoL

So many subtle differences. From memory the second phase of Madarame is different. Vanilla P5 was hard enough to max all connections in one run without a guide but in Royal it would be nigh impossible now with the extra characters. So many awesome little touches that make the original seem so bland in comparison. Jose in Mementos, disaster shadows, there are even new questions on different school days (only thing I look up a guide for!).

Anyone getting into P5R as their first P5 run are truly spoilt.

Last edited:
So many subtle differences. From memory the second phase of Madarame is different. Vanilla P5 was hard enough to max all connections in one run without a guide but in Royal it would be nigh impossible now with the extra characters. So many awesome little touches that make the original seem so bland in comparison. Jose in Mementos, disaster shadows, there are even new questions on different school days (only thing I look up a guide for!).

Anyone getting into P5R as their first P5 run are truly spoilt.

You're definitely talking me into wanting to buy this now. I think once I finish Persona 4 I will go out and grab this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I got a PS Vita just so I could play Persona 4 Golden after I finished Persona 5. Absolutely loving it so far but only early stages into it.

That's the only reason I still have my Vita. Actually been meaning to go through it again next time there is a break in releases of other stuff I want to play. I can't split the two games. Initially I think I was slightly leaning towards P4G over regular P5, but like Golden improved P4 so does Royal to P5. P5 Royal is definitely my favourite now. I like Teddy more than Morgana though lol

That's the only reason I still have my Vita. Actually been meaning to go through it again next time there is a break in releases of other stuff I want to play. I can't split the two games. Initially I think I was slightly leaning towards P4G over regular P5, but like Golden improved P4 so does Royal to P5. P5 Royal is definitely my favourite now. I like Teddy more than Morgana though lol

I'm hoping by the time I finish P4G that Royal will have dropped in price a little and then I'll pick it up.

I'm playing P4G as well - Thought I'd have time this year to play P3 and P4G before Royal dropped. Not even close! Only about 15 hours into P4G.

Holds up so well doesn't it? Such a great cast and looks and sounds very slick for a game of its age.

Also great to hear P5R is a cracker too.

40 hours and 3 palaces in. Secured the path to Kaneshiro's treasure in a single run. Got hairy towards the end but really need to cram those palace runs in with the extra confidants in Royal. Can't remember if there was any difference with the Kamoshida fight but the next two bosses certainly had differences. With the extra collectables in the palaces it makes exploring them a bit more worthwhile too.

i am also enjoying it immensely. i forgot a lot of the original game, the first half mainly, so Royal feels extremely fresh.

i absolutely stomped the first bunch of palaces, my entire mentality has been to finish the game before the internet spoils the new stuff, but i'm not rushing at all, if that makes sense. but i already read a couple of spoilers, one i actually guessed myself, shouldn't be chatting in a persona discord.

one of my goals was to finish yoshida (speech guy)'s confidant as i didn't in the original, that's a cool story, same with iwai's. i managed to max out my stats in pretty good time and i think all of the characters i wanted to. makoto feels like "best girl" to me :p

Last edited:
Great updates dwwaino, you've got me wanting to go out and buy Royal as well haha.
I think I put about 130hrs into P5, my first Persona game.

Got a Vita just for P4G.

If I can get through a bit more backlog might treat myself to another Persona run-through.
I am a little put off by having to start from scratch though, I def would have played if I could have carried over my confidant rankings etc.

i am also enjoying it immensely. i forgot a lot of the original game, the first half mainly, so Royal feels extremely fresh.

i absolutely stomped the first bunch of palaces, my entire mentality has been to finish the game before the internet spoils the new stuff, but i'm not rushing at all, if that makes sense. but i already read a couple of spoilers, one i actually guessed myself, shouldn't be chatting in a persona discord.

one of my goals was to finish yoshida (speech guy)'s confidant as i didn't in the original, that's a cool story, same with iwai's. i managed to max out my stats in pretty good time and i think all of the characters i wanted to. makoto feels like "best girl" to me :p

I think Makoto will be my girl this time too. My original plan was Ann just because I haven't before but she feels way too pedo. At least Makoto is mature.

Seems like there is more to do in Royal. I've just cleared third palace and still only have my guts at 3 so I haven't been able to start Iwai. I should work on that immediately though as he does the gun modding doesn't he?

Only just learnt it's a different voice actor for Takemi too. I thought something was up. There is just so more to do and I think a second play through is really required with Royal to get everything done. From the extra confidants to the extra areas, and Jose in the metaverse. I can see how this is an entirely seperate release now. I only have P4 Golden on Vita but I understand it is a pretty similar change up from vanilla P4. If Royal is anyone's first go with P5 then what a treat they are in for. Base P5 just seems so bland in comparison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back